Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 05:21 PM

869 posts, read 1,124,045 times

Advertisements

either side of Tug Fork in KY-WV...site of the Hatfield-McCoy feud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 06:10 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,609,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Although some will metion Bugtussle, I've always considered Dogpatch, Kentucky to be the capital of Appalachia. I believe Bugtussle was actually in the Ozarks.

What about Rabbit Hash, Ky ?

Old 05-23-2011, 06:23 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,535,738 times
Hard one to answer. As there are three different ways to look at the Appalachian regions of the USA.

If you consider "Appalachia" to contain the whole of the American Appalachians then you have a large number of cities in the north-east to choose from.

Hell, Philadelphia is on the Piedmont. You would have Albany NY as well. And several New England places.

However, if you consider "Appalachia" to only contain the popular southern Appalachians, then I would say Charleston WV would the most logical place. Or perhaps Knoxville TN or Asheville NC.

In this case you would not be able to pick from Wheeling or Pittsburgh since they are definitely part of the north/central Appalachians.

If you go by the ARC charter, then you could pick Pittsburgh.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:03 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,544,700 times
Jonesborough, Tennessee looks to be one of the oldest towns in the Appalachians and holds the "National Storytelling Festival."

About ISC • Experience • International Storytelling Center

Boone, North Carolina's the home of "Appalachian State University" and is apparently one of the, or just the, highest elevation towns East of the Mississippi.

Town of Boone, NC

Old 05-24-2011, 06:40 AM

6,067 posts, read 9,088,396 times
What should the capital city of Appalachia look like?

Here is what I think

1. Must be located within the hills or mountains of the region.
2. Must have some kind of regional influence as far as government, eduaction, healthcare, ect...
3. Must be able to stand as a single city, and not a suburb of another.
3. Must showcase the region it represents in a good light, and not as a negative example of Appalachia.
4. Location, Location, Location,
5. Must have history that is on course with the Appalachian spirit.
5. Cannot be a major city!

Here is my list of possible cities.

Charleston, WV
Knoxville, TN
Elkins/Buckhannon, WV
Beckley, WV
Asheville, NC

Old 05-24-2011, 06:47 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,985,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
What should the capital city of Appalachia look like?

Here is what I think

1. Must be located within the hills or mountains of the region.
2. Must have some kind of regional influence as far as government, eduaction, healthcare, ect...
3. Must be able to stand as a single city, and not a suburb of another.
3. Must showcase the region it represents in a good light, and not as a negative example of Appalachia.
4. Location, Location, Location,
5. Must have history that is on course with the Appalachian spirit.
5. Cannot be a major city!

Here is my list of possible cities.

Charleston, WV
Knoxville, TN
Elkins/Buckhannon, WV
Beckley, WV
Asheville, NC
Doesn't #6 contrast with #2?
Also I am curious why you feel the capital "cannot be a major city"?

Old 05-24-2011, 08:54 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
You can list cultural capital ie the city you consider to be most important in Appallachian culture as well as the one you think would or should be the political capital of Appalachia if it were to ever become a functioning political entity.
If we are truly talking about culture, Pittsburgh in the North and Asheville in the South.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:56 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
From the map at top of page 4 of this thread, what is with that little nub sticking up from Alabama and into Tennessee?

Old 05-24-2011, 09:59 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
From the map at top of page 4 of this thread, what is with that little nub sticking up from Alabama and into Tennessee?
Some politicians pet project?
That's Lawrence and Lewis counties and as far as I know there is nothing very different about those two particular counties that they should be considered Appalachian and the counties around them are not. Like Bobilee said, a lot of that map is about pork.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:23 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,841,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I heard Pittsburgh referred to as the capital of Appalachia, but to me it seems to be more of an anomaly for the region. So I'd probably say Charleston, WV.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.