Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 11:23 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times

Advertisements

I would like to remind folks that the ARC charter is financial and political only, and is not the true Appalachian region. There are counties on it in Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi that are not even geographically Appalachian. And contain varying southern cultures slightly different than southern Appalachian.

The Northern and Southern American Appalachians contain two distinct cultures that, while they are similar in ways of life, are still different. Obviously divided between north and south. I'd say northern WV and Southern OH, PA being cultural "gradients" between the two halves.

This is a map of the American Appalachians, plateaus, and the neighboring Adirondacks. Sourced from the USGS website. No name labels for the sub regions though. City-Data won't let me re-use my better map.
Attached Thumbnails
What city do you consider to be the capital of Appalachia?-appalachians.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 02:47 PM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
Doesn't #6 contrast with #2?
Also I am curious why you feel the capital "cannot be a major city"?
Not really

a small city can have a large impact in a region, like Boise, Missoula, Charleston, ect...

and a major city tends to be more like other major cities, rather than like the region its in. An example Portland, Atlanta, St. Louis, ect...

Old 05-24-2011, 08:03 PM

37 posts, read 145,432 times
Southern Appalachia is considered from Alabama to Southeastern Ohio. My vote would be for Charleston, WV considering the culture and history of the town.

The name Appalachian (App-a-latch-i-an) came from the word Appalachee from the Appalachee Indians. Appalachia is in the southeastern United States, which is located in North America. It is also the second largest mountain system of North America. The mountains begin at the south easternmost tip of Canada, and end in Central Alabama, stretching 1,500 miles (2,400 kilometers). There’s a northern Appalachian region and a southern Appalachian region. This article is about the southern Appalachian region, which is divided into three main sections—the Blue Ridge, the Great Valley, and the Ridge-and-Valley Province. The tallest mountain is Mt. Mitchell (6,684 ft or 2,037 meters) near Asheville, North Carolina. The states of the southern region of the Appalachians are eastern Kentucky, southeastern Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Tennessee.

Appalachian Culture

Old 05-24-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marietta89 View Post
Southern Appalachia is considered from Alabama to Southeastern Ohio. My vote would be for Charleston, WV considering the culture and history of the town.

The name Appalachian (App-a-latch-i-an) came from the word Appalachee from the Appalachee Indians. Appalachia is in the southeastern United States, which is located in North America. It is also the second largest mountain system of North America. The mountains begin at the south easternmost tip of Canada, and end in Central Alabama, stretching 1,500 miles (2,400 kilometers). There’s a northern Appalachian region and a southern Appalachian region. This article is about the southern Appalachian region, which is divided into three main sections—the Blue Ridge, the Great Valley, and the Ridge-and-Valley Province. The tallest mountain is Mt. Mitchell (6,684 ft or 2,037 meters) near Asheville, North Carolina. The states of the southern region of the Appalachians are eastern Kentucky, southeastern Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Tennessee.

Appalachian Culture
Well I'll be damned.

I still have trouble thinking of anywhere in Ohio as southern. XD

Old 05-24-2011, 08:27 PM

37 posts, read 145,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Well I'll be damned.

Cookie,
Next time you come through Marietta give me heads up and I will take you out for some good catfish off the Ohio. =)

Old 05-24-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marietta89 View Post
Cookie,
Next time you come through Marietta give me heads up and I will take you out for some good catfish off the Ohio. =)
You bet! I'd love to see this place for myself.

Next time I'm in Ohio I'll have to make it a destination.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:42 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Well I'll be damned.

Drive thru Adams county.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Drive thru Adams county.
Actually I've been around there! It was like northern Kentucky. Nice people I met there for sure. They certainly had many similarities to the upper southerners.

But still, the subtle touches (like the way people would communicate, sense of humor especially), it was northern to me. Something I'd expect of the lower Midwest, especially along the Ohio river. I'm not trying to start trouble mind you. Just sharing how it seemed to me.

And many of the rural areas there, and I KNOW you guys will hate me for this, reminded me of western New York. The accent and slower speech being the only huge difference I noted.

I wish I could remember the town I stopped in (may or may not have been in Adams county specifically). It was about four years ago now. Went out there when I was hanging around Cincinnati. I love to explore. We went almost three hours away from Cincy that day.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:39 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
The Northern and Southern American Appalachians contain two distinct cultures that, while they are similar in ways of life, are still different. Obviously divided between north and south. I'd say northern WV and Southern OH, PA being cultural "gradients" between the two halves.
Since you definitely seem to have some of the best insights on this topic, I'm just curious how you'd describe those cultural "gradients" between Northern/Southern Appalachia, or at least the extent of such a gradient. I've been intrigued about this topic, and have looked at a slew of factors. It seems that there is a fairly abrupt distinction between Northern and Southern Appalachia in terms of poverty rates, economic atmosphere, dialect, religious affiliation, ethnic heritage, etc. that creates a distinct cultural boundary in somewhere in Central/Northern West Virginia:

Economic Status

County Economic Status in Appalachia, FY 2012 - Appalachian Regional Commission

Poverty Rates

Poverty Rates in Appalachia, 2005–2009 - Appalachian Regional Commission

High School Completion (Relative Average)

Relative High School Completion Rates in Appalachia, 2000 - Appalachian Regional Commission

Religious Affiliation

237 - Regionalism and Religiosity | Strange Maps | Big Think

Ancestry Identification

Mapping Culture | Skyeome.net

Dialect

NYC dialect samples

The geographic boundary similarities for these measures are pretty striking.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:00 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Since you definitely seem to have some of the best insights on this topic, I'm just curious how you'd describe those cultural "gradients" between Northern/Southern Appalachia, or at least the extent of such a gradient. I've been intrigued about this topic, and have looked at a slew of factors. It seems that there is a fairly abrupt distinction between Northern and Southern Appalachia in terms of poverty rates, economic atmosphere, dialect, religious affiliation, ethnic heritage, etc. that creates a distinct cultural boundary in somewhere in Central/Northern West Virginia:

Economic Status

County Economic Status in Appalachia, FY 2012 - Appalachian Regional Commission

Poverty Rates

Poverty Rates in Appalachia, 2005–2009 - Appalachian Regional Commission

High School Completion (Relative Average)

Relative High School Completion Rates in Appalachia, 2000 - Appalachian Regional Commission

Religious Affiliation

237 - Regionalism and Religiosity | Strange Maps | Big Think

Ancestry Identification

Mapping Culture | Skyeome.net

Dialect

NYC dialect samples

The geographic boundary similarities for these measures are pretty striking.
These maps, while they give an ok overview of the Appalachian region, are still misleading in that they mysteriously stop in southern New York and also inexplicably include Mississippi. The Appalachians stretch all the way into Canada; they don't leapfrog over Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine (where there is also quite a bit of poverty), and they certainly don't go into Mississippi. The Appalachian Regional Commission is merely a federally funded agency that has been a cash cow for well connected congressmen, primarily from the South (which is why Mississippi was eventually added to the ARC) and shouldn't really be used as a resource for the entire Appalachian region.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.