Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 04:12 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times

Advertisements

I would have to give the whole Appalachia region as a whole capital to either Charleston or Beckley, WV.

In northern and southern regions of Appalachia;
Southern: Knoxville, TN
Northern: Pittsburgh, PA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 04:36 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Since you definitely seem to have some of the best insights on this topic, I'm just curious how you'd describe those cultural "gradients" between Northern/Southern Appalachia, or at least the extent of such a gradient. I've been intrigued about this topic, and have looked at a slew of factors. It seems that there is a fairly abrupt distinction between Northern and Southern Appalachia in terms of poverty rates, economic atmosphere, dialect, religious affiliation, ethnic heritage, etc. that creates a distinct cultural boundary in somewhere in Central/Northern West Virginia
It's kind of hard for me to explain, as I have no talent with words.

Let me try:

The northern Appalachians have always been more in line with the nation as a whole. Probably as a result of major developments due to rivers and the Erie canal through NY. While the areas are still unique, people of the north don't tend to consider themselves as removed from the grand scheme. There are exceptions however, I am personally related to some serious "off the grid" types.

The northern Appalachians were largely part of what is now the "rust belt" as well. There was enormous focus on industry and metals, which of course stretched across the eastern Midwest as well. While coal mining was indeed present in PA and northern WV, it was operating alongside major industries.

The northern Appalachians, especially through New England and eastern NY and PA, have also not been as economically depressed like the south (Though there is still some deep poverty in places).

The southern Appalachians were basically thrown aside by the wealthier low-land south. This removed them from mainstream America far more than those in the north. They also didn't have the geographical dumb luck of the north, with major rivers, canals and the great lakes providing commerce. Instead they were truly isolated.

From about central WV and down, coal mining is the leader economically. The industry of the north rapidly vanishing as you got further south. And in other areas farming, whether or not for personal survival, was present in the place of factory work.

The southern Appalachians were full of people falling behind in the times, literally surviving on their own ability. The gap between them and the southerners from the lowlands continued to widen. Where as up north, people were still relatively connected (Though not everywhere).

Farming (to my knowledge) became far more prevalent up north after the industry started to rust.

It's also worth noting that Mennonite and Amish culture is very strong in the lower northeastern Appalachians and, as far as I know, down through Kentucky.

The reason I consider the northern WV and southern OH area an Appalachian gradient; is because they share cultural histories and similarities with both the north and south. They are part of the rust belt (which is a northern thing), and they also have share in the southern style coal mining culture (Don't know about Ohio for sure on that one). While some changes can be quite abrupt, it's not entirely one or the other. And that can be expected in any area that meets between two major cultural regions.

Outside of the Appalachians, it's also a border area between the north and south as a whole. So there are bound to be unique mixtures of culture.

For example in WV, Wheeling feels worlds apart from Charleston.

Ehh... I really hope that makes sense. Like I said, I suck at explaining things.

Also bear in mind That the "gradient" I'm talking about is very thin. Following along the Ohio river mostly, then sort of cutting through north/central WV. It's a fuzzy border, but still a border.

What makes it hard to describe, is that there are always exceptions to the rule on both sides.

Last edited by CookieSkoon; 05-25-2011 at 04:51 PM..

Old 05-25-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
These maps, while they give an ok overview of the Appalachian region, are still misleading in that they mysteriously stop in southern New York and also inexplicably include Mississippi. The Appalachians stretch all the way into Canada; they don't leapfrog over Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine (where there is also quite a bit of poverty), and they certainly don't go into Mississippi. The Appalachian Regional Commission is merely a federally funded agency that has been a cash cow for well connected congressmen, primarily from the South (which is why Mississippi was eventually added to the ARC) and shouldn't really be used as a resource for the entire Appalachian region.
This is very true, and should be taken into consideration by all present.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:44 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,107,153 times
I was watching some Charleston community videos and noticed that one of their slogans is "Cultural, Recreation, and Business Capitol of the Appalachian Mountains."

Community Video | City of Charleston

Old 05-26-2011, 06:48 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post

Ehh... I really hope that makes sense. Like I said, I suck at explaining things.

Also bear in mind That the "gradient" I'm talking about is very thin. Following along the Ohio river mostly, then sort of cutting through north/central WV. It's a fuzzy border, but still a border.
No, I think that was a very logical explanation. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
No, I think that was a very logical explanation. Thanks.
You're welcome.

I would like to point out that poverty is very much a rampant problem in PA and NY, and exists in New England as well.

When I said that the north was not as poor as the south, I don't mean the north is entirely well to do. Just that Poverty has been widespread in the southern region for far, far longer.

Here's a neat link. It documents the decay and poverty of the southern tier of New York. Please check it out. It's a real eye opener to the condition of the northern Appalachian areas.

Decrepitude of the Southern Tier: March 2009

Old 05-27-2011, 12:29 PM

469 posts, read 1,175,313 times
Pittsburgh is the biggest, but doesn't really have an Appalachian culture. I'd say Knoxville followed by Asheville, Blacksburg, and Beckley. Beckley seems to be the heart, Asheville the soul, Blacksburg the mind, and Knoxville encompasses all 3 characteristics

Old 05-27-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinbama View Post
Pittsburgh is the biggest, but doesn't really have an Appalachian culture. I'd say Knoxville followed by Asheville, Blacksburg, and Beckley. Beckley seems to be the heart, Asheville the soul, Blacksburg the mind, and Knoxville encompasses all 3 characteristics
It does have an Appalachian culture. As it's a culture in the Appalachians.

What you mean to say is that it doesn't have a southern Appalachian culture.

If it's a culture in the Appalachians, it's an Appalachian culture. There are regional differences in it's cultures, but one sub-region is not the one and only.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:08 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Harlan, Kentucky

Old 05-29-2011, 08:53 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
What about Rabbit Hash, Ky ?
there is a town called "hell for certain" in Kentucky. And Hazard KY (N.E sector), really looks like what youd imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.