Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:34 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
It does have an Appalachian culture. As it's a culture in the Appalachians.

What you mean to say is that it doesn't have a southern Appalachian culture.

If it's a culture in the Appalachians, it's an Appalachian culture.
I think by "Appalachian culture" they're meaning both in and of. I read of some Hmong that settled in Appalachian North Carolina. This doesn't make the Hmong an Appalachian culture. They may be Appalachian by now, for all I know, but the point being geography and culture are different. (Possibly the Amish are a better example. There are Amish in Kentucky, but I doubt they are an "Appalachian culture" no matter where in Kentucky they are located. They are an Amish culture)

I'm thinking they're saying Pittsburgh is "in" and not "of" Appalachia. I don't know if they're thinking a North/South thing as you seem to assume, but they may. Still I think a person could accept parts of Pennsylvania, or even New Hampshire, as "Appalachian culture" and yet not accept Pittsburgh. For many Appalachia is strongly associated to rural life so no city would fit. For others it's largely linked to Scotch-Irish culture so possibly Pittsburgh wouldn't fit there. And so forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 09:59 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think by "Appalachian culture" they're meaning both in and of. I read of some Hmong that settled in Appalachian North Carolina. This doesn't make the Hmong an Appalachian culture. They may be Appalachian by now, for all I know, but the point being geography and culture are different. (Possibly the Amish are a better example. There are Amish in Kentucky, but I doubt they are an "Appalachian culture" no matter where in Kentucky they are located. They are an Amish culture)

I'm thinking they're saying Pittsburgh is "in" and not "of" Appalachia. I don't know if they're thinking a North/South thing as you seem to assume, but they may. Still I think a person could accept parts of Pennsylvania, or even New Hampshire, as "Appalachian culture" and yet not accept Pittsburgh. For many Appalachia is strongly associated to rural life so no city would fit. For others it's largely linked to Scotch-Irish culture so possibly Pittsburgh wouldn't fit there. And so forth.
If you consider it like that, then parts of NY and Vermont and Maine would be Appalachian as well.

What I mean is, even to the rest of the northeast, areas in the mountains and hills are culturally unique to themselves in PA, NY so on. They are not like the counterpart areas of the south, but they are of the Appalachians in their respective regions.

The southern tier of NY is as different to the rest of NY as eastern TN is to the rest of TN. Know what I mean? Unique areas.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:14 PM

144 posts, read 270,532 times
Southeastern Kentucky, southwestern West Virginia, extreme southwest Virginia, and northeast Tennessee have always seemed to be the "core" of Appalachia to me. The biggest city is Johnson City, TN, but the capital would be Pikeville, KY.

Northwest Georgia, where I was born, is considered Appalachian as well, but the above mentioned areas are where the culture is the most concentrated and unchanged.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:39 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
If we are truly talking about culture, Pittsburgh in the North and Asheville in the South.
Culture as in Appalachian culture is what I was going for. For example if a city has a municipal ballet company that should probably not be considered a reason for it to be the cultural capital of Appalachia.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:02 PM

737 posts, read 1,653,603 times
Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Nashville come to mind.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:59 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times
Isn't Atlanta partly in the Appalachia?

Old 05-31-2011, 06:23 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I wouldn't count it as part of Appalachia because of its more urban culture, location, and role in the deep south

Old 05-31-2011, 08:34 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Kinda.

It's on the Piedmont, which, is historically and culturally drastically different than the mountains and western hills. Even up north where sits the lower Bos-Wash corridor (NYC down) it is different.

The Piedmont had/has seen major urban development and wealthy plantations whereas the rest of the Appalachians didn't.

Atlanta has much more in common with the rest of the lowland south.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:10 AM

201 posts, read 573,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I heard Pittsburgh referred to as the capital of Appalachia, but to me it seems to be more of an anomaly for the region. So I'd probably say Charleston, WV.
Charleston was the first city that came to mind for me also.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:04 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Nashville come to mind.
Charlotte nor Nashville are part of Appalachia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.