Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 12:16 PM

271 posts, read 933,888 times

Advertisements

I do feel for those who have lost jobs and such, yet at some point one needs to simply suck it up and figure out they have it great in America on even the worst of income, as compared to anywhere else in the world. For example, only in America could you watch a 300lb woman being interviewed on TV talking about how she can't afford to feed her children. Time to figure out that WE ARE ALL SPOILED IN AMERICA to the point that the rest of world both laughs and hates us at the same time. Foreigners most likely read these forums for amusement wondering how from the highest paid executive to the lowest paid janitor...no matter how much Americans make, they can neither live below their means or save anything beyond a couple thousand a year during high salary years of making $40,000-$120,000. If you have blown your money on non-essential toys (SUVs, boats, etc), entertainment (excessive eating out, sporting events, etc), services (house cleaners, massages, etc), etc, and have nothing to fall back on due to financial ignorance, you have very little justification to moan and groan about how life is hard after loosing that $50,000/year job you had for 15 years....and yet have saved virtually nothing. Chalk the experience up as a learning lesson and move on to another state, a new education, a completely new career, etc. Dump the three cars and drive one that is older than 2 years (with rust...wooah!). Move into a $40,000 single wide and take a loss on that $300K Mcmansion. Turn off that $60/month cable and buy a set of $20 rabbit ears for local channels. I'm talking major cost savings, not twenty-five cent coupons at the grocery store. LIVE AND LEARN...and you will be stronger from your current dire situation in the very near future (if you learn quick enough). Gripping about how bad you and your family may have it is not going to change anything...other than your attitude towards life and others.

And don't think I don't understand your situation as a long time ago I hit rock bottom financially, peeled myself off the floor after a few months of complete self pitty, lived on a shoe string budget to get ahead, and do great today...but only after major, major self inflicted changes that have replaced materialism with life experiences, and excess with simplicity. So can you, if you learn from the negative experiences and make MAJOR positive long term changes, such as living well below your means...starting today!

Peace

Siberia

P.S. And if you have a healthy body and mind, you really need to consider yourself extremely lucky as there are many non-self inflicted conditions such as terminal illness, physical disabilities, and mental issues are just a few of them...that even money can't fix.

P.S.S. This thread is meant to motivate positive change, not maul those in Michigan who reside in difficult times. Take any emotional venom elsewhere please...as lets face it I'm not trying to sell a self help system here, I'm only trying to help my fellow citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 01:00 PM

44 posts, read 228,091 times
The future is promised to no one. Enjoy yourself while you can. If you want to have a "mcmansion" as you call it, and can afford it now, go for it. Drive that big SUV if it makes you happy. What happens if you save up all that money and never enjoy yourself? You end up an unhappy person that dies with money never spent. Or worse, you save for a future that you never make it to. I'm sure we all hope that we'll live to be 90 and have plenty of money to retire on. But any of us can die tomorrow. You could just be driving home and a bridge could collapse and then it's all gone. What good is it to ignore the present and always think about the future? There's a saying that I always liked:

"Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present".

Old 08-03-2007, 01:11 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ View Post
The future is promised to no one. Enjoy yourself while you can. If you want to have a "mcmansion" as you call it, and can afford it now, go for it. Drive that big SUV if it makes you happy. What happens if you save up all that money and never enjoy yourself? You end up an unhappy person that dies with money never spent. Or worse, you save for a future that you never make it to. I'm sure we all hope that we'll live to be 90 and have plenty of money to retire on. But any of us can die tomorrow. You could just be driving home and a bridge could collapse and then it's all gone. What good is it to ignore the present and always think about the future? There's a saying that I always liked:

"Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present".
Yep, but when you do not die, do not ask me to feed and house you.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:22 PM

178 posts, read 701,610 times
Yeah, Americans are spoiled when you compare us to 3rd world countries. I remember watching a show on N. Korea and thinking to myself, "That is probably the worst place on Earth to live nowadays".

But you know what? i wasn't born in N. Korea.

I wasn't born in Nigeria.

I wasn't born in Mexico.

I was born in America where people supposedly have the opportunity to make their own destiny through hard work and smart thinking and planning.

But you know what? I look around and I see that regardless of how little I COULD live on, it's not FAIR for me, as an American, to NOT have the things virtually everyone else has if I'm trying my hardest and doing a good job (in careers,social interaction, obeying laws, etc.). Do I personally need a mansion to be happy? No. But for some people, they want a great big house to live in and decorate. For me, I want to live in a warm, sunny area like California --- the house doesn't matter, just the location. But what, is that not something I should be able to have because just existing in America, even if its in cold, dreary Michigan, is reward enough? Sorry, but I don't feel that "blessed"!

So you say ditch the 300k house and go for a single-wide. Fine, great idea.

But are you saying families with 6 people have to live in a single wide while the couple down the street has the same size house? Is that fair to the family? And if the family gets to buy a double-wide and the couple down the street chooses to not have a family but focus on a career, should they not be able to live in a house they want like the family?

You bring up all these examples $60 cable vs. $20 bunny ears. Why not have ZERO TV at all? Wouldn't that make us Americans truly unspoiled? Or getting a car that's 2 years old instead of brand new? What about not having a car at all?

You arguments seem to be based off YOUR preferences rather than what it would TRULY take to make us Americans unspoiled.

Some of your comments are just mean, which makes me wonder why you're even here. Like this For example, only in America could you watch a 300lb woman being interviewed on TV talking about how she can't afford to feed her children. . First, there are heavy people all over the world. Second, you have no idea what her story is. Perhaps she really can't work due to her weight, which most likely IS genetic in some way (people usually don't come from skinny parents' genes and then add on 200+ lbs. because they have nothing better to do than eat - get real). Also consider that sometime speople fall through the cracks and can't get government support for one reason or another.

Point is, you seem to think that because YOU struggled at one point and lived cheaply for a few months ANYONE can do it. That's just idiotic.

I could survive on pasta and ramen for months living on my own (which I have done before when money was tight) but if I had a wife and kids to take care of - THEY wouldn't be eating like people in 3rd world countries if I had a chance to provide better for them. So that is why people want to live in nice homes, have good educations, drive dependable, safe vehicles, have a healthy dose of entertainment here and there, etc. --- Not because we "deserve" it but because in this country, which is the only country almost all of us have ever known, we believe that the more put into it, the more we should get out of it if we are adding to the country in a positive, meaningful way.

Your whole post and this whole thread is misinformed, unrealistic and frankly a written form of flipping the bird to all the people who you think aren't nearly as smart and completely aware of the world like you are.

Last edited by scottmi; 08-03-2007 at 01:37 PM..

Old 08-03-2007, 01:39 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
Quote:
But you know what? I look around and I see that regardless of how little I COULD live on, it's not FAIR for me, as an American, to NOT have the things virtually everyone else has if I'm trying my hardest and doing a good job (in careers,social interaction, obeying laws, etc.).
NO one guaranteed you the right to happiness...just the right to PURSUE it. Life IS unfair.

IS it fair that at 53 I have ailments that put me on disability? Is it fair that altho my husband and I do have decent medical, we still spend almost a FOURTH of our income on our health care between us? Is it fair that I get to see so MANY of my contemporaries enjoying what I can NO longer do? Like hike around mountains or just simply shop all day long without my feet killing me?

NO, it isn't but do I blame them? NO.

Is it fair that others have more or less because they make different spending choices than my family or I do? NO. We have been told for several decades now that we HAVE to keep up with the Joneses but to be honest, we don't.

Do your clothes HAVE to have labels or just be made well?

Do you NEED all the gadgets on that cell phone or just one that makes calls?

Do you REALLY need all 75/100/200/250 channels on your TV when you really can't watch more than ONE at a time?

The entitlement mentality is exactly what is the biggest problem with this country.

Our ANCESTORS would be disgusted with us. Liz

Old 08-03-2007, 02:02 PM

178 posts, read 701,610 times
^^^ This argument will go nowhere.

Is it fair for you to even live to 53 when so many people don't even make it to that age?

Is it fair for you to even HAVE medical insurance, even if it cost you and arm and a leg, when so many can't even get it AT ALL?

Is it fair for you to have a husband when there are many people who have physical or emotional issues that maybe have prevented them from ever having a normal, healthy relationship with someone, let alone having a husband/wife?

You're just pulling stuff outta yer' ***** tryin' to make people feel bad for wanting stuff that is constantly shoved in our faces day in day out. Our whole society is based off getting something better tomorrow than we have today - sometimes because we need it, sometimes just because its cool. Most stuff in life is almost 100% totally out of our control (you can't change your health, looks, whenyou die, etc. too much, now can you?) but when it come sto education and career and wealth, that's where America differes from other countries in the world!

Regardless though, how come you have the right to say WHAT IS okay to be happy with and no one else?

People in Michigan feel like the state and businesses have turned their backs on them - yet you blame THEM for wanting a nice home in a nice area and a nice car and a nice education and career for themselves or their kids?

I think if anyone has a screwy view of the way the world works, it's YOU.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:03 PM

44 posts, read 228,091 times
Sorry, Southernlady, but I think your totally wrong. Maybe I do want all those things, but I know I'm not entitled to them. So you know what I do? I go out and work for them so I can have them (and by the way, I can definitly watch more than I channel at a time. I love picture in picture)! Is it my fault that you have ailments? Since I can afford the things that I want and you can't, am I supposed to go without?

You also state that we're guaranteed the right to the pursuit of happiness, and then you state that our ancestors would disgusted with us for pursuing what makes us happy. I have a novel idea that I think would help improve our country drastically. I even think it should be our new motto: "Mind your own business". So what that I drive an SUV, or live in a big house, or play the bongo's while naked and watching four TV's with picture and picture (that would be 8 channels) at the same time. It's my choice! That's my way of trying to "pursue" happiness. Everyone's way is different. But it takes a lot of nerve to sit there and say that your way is right and everyone else's way is wrong.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:12 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ View Post
Sorry, Southernlady, but I think your totally wrong. Maybe I do want all those things, but I know I'm not entitled to them. So you know what I do? I go out and work for them so I can have them (and by the way, I can definitly watch more than I channel at a time. I love picture in picture)! Is it my fault that you have ailments? Since I can afford the things that I want and you can't, am I supposed to go without?

You also state that we're guaranteed the right to the pursuit of happiness, and then you state that our ancestors would disgusted with us for pursuing what makes us happy. I have a novel idea that I think would help improve our country drastically. I even think it should be our new motto: "Mind your own business". So what that I drive an SUV, or live in a big house, or play the bongo's while naked and watching four TV's with picture and picture (that would be 8 channels) at the same time. It's my choice! That's my way of trying to "pursue" happiness. Everyone's way is different. But it takes a lot of nerve to sit there and say that your way is right and everyone else's way is wrong.
It is your bussiness. As long as in the lean times, it reminds just your bussiness I am good with that.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:26 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
Quote:
Maybe I do want all those things, but I know I'm not entitled to them. So you know what I do? I go out and work for them so I can have them (and by the way, I can definitly watch more than I channel at a time. I love picture in picture)! Is it my fault that you have ailments? Since I can afford the things that I want and you can't, am I supposed to go without?

I didn't say you weren't entitled to them IF you worked for them but NO one is just going to give them to you.

I never stated *I* couldn't afford them. But if I couldn't, I would NOT moan and groan about it being unfair to me.

Our ancestors believed in the ethics of HARD work not public handouts which seem to be the order of the day. That is why they would be disgusted with how we are living today. Most of this generation and the generation to come seems to think they are entitled to handouts not to work for what they need with the sweat of their brow or their MIND!

HOW you do spend your hard earned money IS your choice but if you don't have it, don't expect anyone to pay for your lifestyle.

Many people believe that the Constitution guarantees them Happiness...it does NOT...just the right to PURSUE it.

Quote:
Is it fair for you to even live to 53 when so many people don't even make it to that age?

Is it fair for you to even HAVE medical insurance, even if it cost you and arm and a leg, when so many can't even get it AT ALL?
And MANY, MANY people DO live way past that here in the US which is where *I* happen to live. The AVERAGE age for a male is 75.7 and for a female is 80.8.

As for medical insurance, my husband has a good job but we had to move FROM MI...get the drift??? Liz

Old 08-03-2007, 02:36 PM

106 posts, read 414,369 times
Thanks for the (unsolicited) advice, Siberia, but I think I'll skip moving into a trailer for the time being. Thanks for looking out for me, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.