Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:51 PM

11 posts, read 32,316 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'm an Australian, currently staying in Sisters, Oregon for the summer. I want to go to stay in another small US town or village for the autumn and would love to know what your favorite small towns are.

Here's what I'm after more specifically:

Population - under 3000
In a scenic or striking location
Within an hours drive of an airport (preferably the airport of the state capital).
Nothing too expensive - I'd be looking for a room in a share house for less than $500 a month.

At the moment I'm looking at Wickenburg AZ and Harpers Ferry WV. I'd love to find a small place in VT or NY state, but I'm thinking that will be too expensive for me. I'd love to go to Taoh NM, but it's a bit too far from the airport at Albequerque.

(I do work over the internet, so I can work from anywhere).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Emma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 10:42 PM

866 posts, read 1,559,776 times
How about Midway, Utah?
It has about 2,000 people.
This is what it looks like

The buildings are famous for looking Swiss because that is where many immigrants were from.
It is, according to Google Maps, 59 minutes from Salt Lake's international airport
I don't think it is very expensive to live in, especially compared to Park City and the Colorado towns.
Also, if you came for autumn, you could be here for Swiss Days.

midwayswissdays.com-Official WebSite of Midway Boosters,Inc

Seems to fit all of your criteria. You should certainly consider it.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:22 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Check out Saugatuck, Michigan which is absolutely beautiful in the fall and features the friendliest residents I've ever met. It's half an hour from the Grand Rapids airport and two hours to Chicago Midway airport.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/08/03...saugatuck.html

YouTube - ‪Pure Michigan Fall "Harvest Time"‬‏

Last edited by kyle19125; 05-23-2011 at 06:30 AM..

Old 05-23-2011, 06:53 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,050,291 times
In the Southeast:

Dahlonega, GA

Dahlonega, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Madison, GA

Madison, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blowing Rock, NC

Blowing Rock, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oriental, NC

Oriental, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-23-2011, 07:34 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
In NY, Sackets Harbor, Alexandria Bay, Lewiston, Youngstown, Lake George, Ticonderoga, Old Forge, Cooperstown, Clinton, Hamilton, Liverpool(village), Skaneateles, Pittsford, Port Henry, Clayton, Cape Vincent, Sodus/Sodus Point, Watkins Glen, Hammondsport, Cazenovia, Aurora, Groton, Trumamsburg and Sharon Springs. There's some others I'm missing too.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:44 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Autumn is my favorite season and my personal opinion is that the best place to experience it would be in the northeast or upper midwest.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:08 AM

Default wow - thankyou all!

Hi all,

thanks so much for these great responses! There's so many good options here for me. I love the photos of Midway, but experiencing fall in the northeast would be great. (I forgot about your lovely autumns in that area of the world).

Just one question, (mainly for skhthankgod who suggested NY towns)...are the accomodation prices high in small NY towns? Or are they a lot less than NY city? I had this idea that the whole of NY state had expensive rental prices.

You've all been extremely helpful - I was having trouble finding really small towns through internet searches. So, now I'm off to look at photos and accomodation prices.

thanks again!
Em

Old 05-23-2011, 09:27 AM

Upstate NY is more affordable than NYC. Autumn/Fall is probably the best time of year in Upstate NY too. There are plenty of options and you might find something here: MapsKrieg - CraigsList Apartment Listings Mashed With Google Maps

I would look into such communities within an hour or so of Buffalo, Rochester, Albany or Syracuse. All have International airports. It seems like Buffalo and Albany have cheaper fares, the Rochester and Syracuse. With that said, Syracuse probably has more of the places you are looking for within an hour or so of it. Some places are in between too. Personally, such communities with a college, like Clinton, Hamilton and Cazenovia might be worth looking into, as they might have more of the rentals you are looking for and have things going on due to the college presence.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:47 AM

Default thanks :)

OMG - thanks so much for MapsKrieg - that is exactly what I've been looking for! And, I'll check out the rentals in the areas you mentioned.

cheers
Em

Old 05-23-2011, 10:42 AM

To get an ideal about some of these communities, here are some good websites: Village of Hamilton - Welcome to Hamilton New York

Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, rdace, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more

The Village of Sackets Harbor NY - Experience the Treasures!

Official Website: Alexandria Bay Chamber of Commerce, Thousand Islands NY

1000 Islands - Clayton Area Chamber of Commerce Online Family Vacation Guide

Cape Vincent -- Where Lake And River Meet

Village of Cazenovia

Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce - Welcome to Skaneateles

Aurora Arts and Merchants Association

Village of Groton, N.Y.

Village of Trumansburg

Watkins Glen - Finger Lakes NY

Hammondsport Chamber of Commerce

Historic Lewiston, NY
Chamber of Commerce - Lewiston NY, Youngstown NY, Porter, Ransomville, & Sanborn ..::.. Lower Niagara River Region Chamber of Commerce
www.youngstownnewyork.us

Ticonderoga Area Chamber of Commerce

Town of Moriah

Lake George Area in New York's Adirondacks - Official Site

Village of Pittsford: Home Page

Village of Alfred

The Great Sodus Bay Association ~ Your Four-Season Get-away
Welcome to Sodus, NY

Bemus Point: : The OFFICIAL website of Bemus Point NY

Richfield Springs Online -- Otsego NY

Old Forge New York in the Adirondacks | McCauley Mountain Ski | Water Park | Cruises | Lodging | Museums | Hiking, biking, swimming, fishing, boating, snowmobiling

Home - Sharon Springs Chamber Commerce - Central New York

Village of Liverpool Home Page

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-23-2011 at 11:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.