Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2011, 02:26 PM

28 posts, read 45,234 times

Advertisements

The United States death toll has reached another grim historic mark after more bodies were found from the Joplin, Missouri tornado.

United States tornado death toll reaches 520 after more bodies found in Joplin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 04:59 PM

316 posts, read 560,183 times
I think that the weather lately has been really wild. I feel bad to those folks who were killed and homes destroyed by tornadoes. My prayers goes out to them.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:29 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Believe it or not, it's nothing that hasn't been seen before. Just ask anybody who remembers 1953 or 1974.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:18 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Believe it or not, it's nothing that hasn't been seen before. Just ask anybody who remembers 1953 or 1974.
It happened here in Michigan in 1953. 118 people were killed in Flint Michigan that year in a tornado that was very similar to the one in Missouri last week. This recent event has brought that old subject up here in Michigan lately, I guess it is bringing back bad memories for those old enough to remember it. Up until last week the Flint tornado was the last US tornado to kill over 100 people. Everyone thought modern weather forcasting had made death tolls like this a thing of the past. Unfornately this has been proved untrue.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:35 PM

963 posts, read 2,410,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
It happened here in Michigan in 1953. 118 people were killed in Flint Michigan that year in a tornado that was very similar to the one in Missouri last week. This recent event has brought that old subject up here in Michigan lately, I guess it is bringing back bad memories for those old enough to remember it. Up until last week the Flint tornado was the last US tornado to kill over 100 people. Everyone thought modern weather forcasting had made death tolls like this a thing of the past. Unfornately this has been proved untrue.

I some of what I'm going to say is likely a terrible thing to say.

I can remember the 1974 outbreak, the 1984 Carolinas outbreak and the 1985 Pennsylvania outbreak, and they all fell very solidly into NO ONE EXPECTED THIS - not now, maybe 50 or 100 years ago, but not now. There were exampled of damage in all three that fell into freakish/grotesque territory. There were hundreds or thousands of deaths in places like mobile homes or cars, many thousands of injuries.

It was not long thereafter that a chorus of how could this happened met Hurricane Hugo as it did well over a billion $ in damage in WESTERN NC - 200+ miles inland, at elevations that ranged from 500 to 6700 feet above sea level.

Then came Andrew and Katrina.

Look at each of these storms collectively and not individually and you'll see a common thread of "we did a number of things to ensure that it could nevere get as bad as what we are seeing, so we are at a loss to explain why we are seeing this, and we don't have the slightest clue as to how we're going to pick up the pieces." All the possible scenarios, and solutions to those scenarios are not experience based for the most part - if NoLA is a city of crime, tourists, jazz and junkies, then the stories coming from those folks are of dubious veracity, compared with an ACOE simulation that seems to think something like MRGO is a brilliant idea.

I think Joplin - like Katrina, Andrew, Hugo, the Super Outbreak, and the other storms I mentioned - is yet another recent reminder to NOT take our mastery of science for granted. There remain limits, and once every few years nature throws something at us that reminds us of those limits: a really HUGE tornado in the Northeast, a really HUGE blizzard in the south, a massive flood in the west or southwest. I am sure we can think of examples of all of the above, and of all the confusion those events elicited in the general public, and - most importantly - in the 'talking head' community of scientists, commentators and gatekeepers whose responsibilities include reassuring the rest of us that all the old rules haven't just gone kpffffft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.