Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 08:10 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times

Advertisements

Drive through the suburbs with anyone except the very young, and you might hear that said.
What metropolitan area do/did you live in? What suburb can you remember as being the country, mostly farms, where there is now development after development? And (about) how old are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 08:44 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,033 times
One time back in the mid 90's my parents took me camping in Crystal Lake, on the 4th of July week end.

There were cornfields and the locals looked like rural types. Some of the kids I saw had the baggy jncos, mushroom haircuts, and looked like they had actual dirt on their faces and shirts.

Now the area is total suburbia. Stepford wives and SUV's.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:53 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Baton Rouge metro area. I remember when are latest mall was just a huge lot of trees by I-10, now that area is mostly full of crap. When I moved to the suburbs, it was empty and fairly country. Now it's booming and my town is now the largest in the parish. Full of subdivisions and a few grocery stores. And I'm pretty young..

Old 06-13-2011, 08:58 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,648 times
Default Eagle Rock, CA. - Celebrating 100 years - 1911 to 2011

From the rancheros in the shadows of the Verdugos where land was owned by Spanish decendents...As late as 1900...to the 6 square miles surrounded by two freeways we see today.

I came to Eagle Rock in 1959. By then, all of the ranch land was gone. My dad showed me a lot of pics of the area from 1920 - 1945 where there were now paved streets and mostly bungalows dotting the landscape. Earlier pictures show vast ranchland and orchards nestled into the foothills with dirt roads and horse buggies.

I spent the first 18 years of my life in ER, moved away to college and other stuff, and then came back in 1988 and have been there since. A few landmark events...

1968? - The Old High School was torn down and replaced by the current one.

1970 - Several families lost their homes to eminent domain and the construction of the 134 Fwy (northeast border of town). This was part of the east / west connection of Cal Trans Fwys.

1974 - More eminent domain and several blocks of home are razed for the new mall.

1975? - Again more eminent domain and the 2 fwy cuts through the hills, eliminating "G" Hill, a popular BMX area and connecting the north / south Fwy network.

A lot has changed in 100 years...including the north south corridor from San Diego to Los Angeles. Were it not for Camp Pendelton, the Marine Base, it would probably all be built up.

Ah...progress...

Last edited by Mr Floyd; 06-13-2011 at 09:26 AM..

Old 06-13-2011, 09:21 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,421 times
If someone says "I remember when this used to be all farmland" in New England, chances are they are standing in the middle of a forest. Over the last few generations much of the farmland has been reclaimed by 2nd growth forest.

The town I grew up in was damn close to completely built out when I was born in the 80s so it hasn't changed much. Most of the immediate suburbs of Boston are in similiar shape. The town centers have been there for hundreds of years as have many houses. In most towns there were a few remaining small farms that got gobbled up in the 90s/2000s but its a small part of the land. No "subdivisions" anywhere nearby. Now, as you go further out from Boston into exurb territory, the OPs image probably applies a lot more, but still less than in other metros.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:48 AM

5,981 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
One time back in the mid 90's my parents took me camping in Crystal Lake, on the 4th of July week end.

There were cornfields and the locals looked like rural types. Some of the kids I saw had the baggy jncos, mushroom haircuts, and looked like they had actual dirt on their faces and shirts.

Now the area is total suburbia. Stepford wives and SUV's.
Crystal Lake was already getting populated and built up by then. Its not like it was Harvard, IL. The general proximity to major offices of companies in Schuamburg and Hoffman Estates has made Crystal Lake an attractive place to relocate to starting in the 80s. (Although not to the extent it is now).

And there are still some farm fields around. But I do agree about the "stepford wives" It is very "suburban-conservative" there.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:16 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
I can drive through most all of the suburbs of Dallas and Fort Worth and say that. I grew up there in the 60's and 70's. When I was growing up, even many areas within the cities themselves, were still farmland. We would go from Dallas to visit relatives in Fort Worth and it was like a road trip, passing miles and miles of nothingness, with a couple of small towns in between. Now its just one giant metropolitan area.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:34 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
The area west of Apple Valley Rd and north of Bear Valley in Apple Valley CA used to be an alfalfa field complete with one old farmhouse in the middle.
This was as far back as I could remember.

Then the early 00s set in and the transplants from the 'urbs down the hill wanted cheaper homes.
Along with the cookie cutters, big-box stores and Stater Bros got put in.
And just a few miles down the street, some foppish n00b residents put in complaints about the OK Corral ostrich farm and got it moved.

I will say though that the only thing good that came out of it was the 24 Hr Fitness Super-Sport that opened in '09.
That's about the only "urban/suburban-centric" thing I ever partake in.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:38 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
Where I grew up in New York has changed a lot in the last decade.

I grew up in Schuyler county near Seneca lake. Where there was once nothing but trees or fields there are now wineries and new homes.

And many of the old dirt roads have been paved.

I hate it. ;-;

Old 06-13-2011, 02:17 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Crystal Lake was already getting populated and built up by then. Its not like it was Harvard, IL. The general proximity to major offices of companies in Schuamburg and Hoffman Estates has made Crystal Lake an attractive place to relocate to starting in the 80s. (Although not to the extent it is now).

And there are still some farm fields around. But I do agree about the "stepford wives" It is very "suburban-conservative" there.
My parents tell me they remember Schaumburg, IL used to be all farmland. THAT's a pretty dramatic change from now, to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.