Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 09:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
That is very sad. The reason I say it's sad is because what if I ran into you at night and I am just walking home? My question to you is why do you associate crime with blacks?
Why are you responding to someone who has been banned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
think about what a crashing bore it would be if everyone were just like the next (1984?????)! -shuddering-
But this is the irony of the whole "diversity" mantra taken to its logical conclusion: If every city, state, school, club, association, etc., were "diverse" in the sense of having proportionate members of blacks, whites, Asians, Hispanics, Jews, Christians, etc., then everything would look the same. Instead of the crashing bore of each individual being the same, that crashing boredom gets accomplished via uniformity at the institutional level instead.

To me, diversity means: some black areas, some white areas, some Hispanic areas, some mixed areas, etc. Contrived diversity is not really diversity at all. It's conformity with a rainbow appearance.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:28 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Quote:
think about what a crashing bore it would be if everyone were just like the next (1984?????)! -shuddering-
I keep meaning to read that book.

It seems like most of us, especially older people who were raised to think a certain way, have some kind of prejudice. Most people try to suppress it, but unfortunately there are things we don't understand or think we know about other races, religions, sexes, or whatever. Most people have some kind of prejudice.

I know people who believe that all muslims are terrorists, that gays are diseased, and that blacks aren't as smart as whites.

I don't believe that, but they do. I hate it, but there's nothing I can do about it. Most of them wouldn't say those things around people they have prejudices against, but they still believe them.

Obviously, not all of us have blatant prejudices like that, but I think most people have ideas about other peoples, whether they're true or not.

I try not to have prejudices, but I also know that sometimes I think things about people. It's not necessarily racial, but I see their appearance and make an assumption. I ask God to forgive me and help me get rid of that prejudice, and I go throughout my day.

We all do it, unfortunately. We judge someone, at least in our head, by their appearance.

Hopefully some day society will get to the point that we're not hardwired to think things about people. But we're not there yet.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:29 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
ok, guess i'm dumb, just looked at his profile, etc..... how can you tell that he has been banned? and would he not be able to post?

Old 02-17-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I keep meaning to read that book.

It seems like most of us, especially older people who were raised to think a certain way, have some kind of prejudice. Most people try to suppress it, but unfortunately there are things we don't understand or think we know about other races, religions, sexes, or whatever. Most people have some kind of prejudice.

I know people who believe that all muslims are terrorists, that gays are diseased, and that blacks aren't as smart as whites.

I don't believe that, but they do. I hate it, but there's nothing I can do about it. Most of them wouldn't say those things around people they have prejudices against, but they still believe them.

Obviously, not all of us have blatant prejudices like that, but I think most people have ideas about other peoples, whether they're true or not.

I try not to have prejudices, but I also know that sometimes I think things about people. It's not necessarily racial, but I see their appearance and make an assumption. I ask God to forgive me and help me get rid of that prejudice, and I go throughout my day.

We all do it, unfortunately. We judge someone, at least in our head, by their appearance.

Hopefully some day society will get to the point that we're not hardwired to think things about people. But we're not there yet.
STLCardsBlues, you must read that book! What you said is very true, unfortunately. I just keep hoping we will get to the point one day that we can be free from prejudice, i know it will not happen anytime soon, but i have to have faith.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:45 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
He was banned? I didn't know that.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:45 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I have a friend who lives in North Dakota and he loves it. He is white and so is 99% of the people who live in his medium sized town. He is not a racist in any way but prefers to live in a town that is not ethnically diverse. He says North Dakota is a nice place for people from all races, religions and backgrounds, but traditionally it has been one of the most White dominated States in America.

I told him that most Americans want to live in an ethnically diverse City. He disagrees. He says most people want to live in a place where people are just like them. He says:

Look at Churches
Look at the cliques at the local schools
Look at who are hanging out at the Mall together
Look at who is being hired at minority owned employers

Where he lives in North Dakota there is basically no crime and the schools are great. People do not lock their doors and neighbors all know and like each other.

Is North Dakota a fall back to an old racist America? Not diverse because people are closed minded?

Does a place have to be ethnically diverse to be good?
For me, commonality defines an attractive place. I am a highly-educated, dynamic individual and I need to be around people who are stimulating, people who can hold a good conversation, people who are intelligent, dynamic, and charismatic. Race is irrelevant. This really transcends race. I don't want to live in a place just because everyone is of the same race as I am. This is racist IMO and reflective of a time thankfully that has long passed.

Good luck to your friend. I am glad that he is not my neighbor.

Last edited by LexusNexus; 02-17-2008 at 09:59 PM..

Old 02-17-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
ok, guess i'm dumb, just looked at his profile, etc..... how can you tell that he has been banned? and would he not be able to post?
When you look at the tagline under their screen name, if it says "not a member" then 99% of the time that means they've been banned.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:47 PM

699 posts, read 2,236,737 times
Quote:
Edit: what Drover said

Old 02-17-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
For me, commonaility defines an attractive place. I am a highly-educated, dynamic individual and I need to be around people who are stimulating, people who can hold a good conversation, people who are intelligent, dynamic, and charismatic. Race is irrelevant. This really transcends race. I don't want to live in a place just because everyone is of the same race as I am. This is racist IMO and reflective of a time thankfully that has long passed.

Good luck to your friend. I am glad that he is not my neighbor.
Diversity is what made this nation, sadly the fear of it is what is going to be our downfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.