Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 12:31 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweezy View Post
I just read a list that just doesn't seem right, that said, I thought maybe city data could provide a better opinions on this subject. Thanks in advance.
I think the "best cities for Blacks" lists are pretty much played out. Sure you still have the heavyweights of DC and Atlanta, but these days, it's pretty much the cities that are attracting lots of people in general which are the ones in which African Americans do best (according to a select set of indicators). While we still have challenges to overcome, thank God we no longer live in an era where we as African Americans can only move to a select few cities in order to make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 07:11 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I think the "best cities for Blacks" lists are pretty much played out. Sure you still have the heavyweights of DC and Atlanta, but these days, it's pretty much the cities that are attracting lots of people in general which are the ones in which African Americans do best (according to a select set of indicators). While we still have challenges to overcome, thank God we no longer live in an era where we as African Americans can only move to a select few cities in order to make it.
Great post! I personally think it is offensive to people when places refer to themselves as a Mecca of whatever sort. Thats pretty much saying "hey we've got a lot to offer this group, but not yours". That always bugged me when people in Atlanta would make that comment about how great it is for blacks. Atlantans need to address that the city is great for all! That turns off other demographics of people and seems narrow minded. I believe in inclusiveness.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Great post! I personally think it is offensive to people when places refer to themselves as a Mecca of whatever sort. Thats pretty much saying "hey we've got a lot to offer this group, but not yours". That always bugged me when people in Atlanta would make that comment about how great it is for blacks. Atlantans need to address that the city is great for all! That turns off other demographics of people and seems narrow minded. I believe in inclusiveness.
I disagree with you about the implications of certain cities being a mecca for certain races/ethinicites as they tend to be representative of that period in history when certain groups did stand a better chance of making it in a select few cities, and we shouldn't forget that because we really aren't that far removed from that period. Because of that history, I see nothing offensive or exclusive about Atlanta being recognized as a Black mecca or L.A. being an Asian mecca or Miami being a Hispanic mecca (and understand that the "mecca-ness" of those cities still exist/existed within a White-dominated superstructure for obvious reasons) , but as time goes on, those labels won't be quite as significant as they once were and I think we're beginning to see that.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:54 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~CountryBoy~ View Post
I really don't understand the fascination of which city are the best for a certain race group.
It is obvious that some cities that often rank high on some lists as being great for jobs, quality of life, etc. for a general population are terrible for certain populations.

Pittsburgh is a prime example. It's not a good place for black people at all.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
Especially if you can land a sweet job there. For the right gig, my black $#^ would be high-tailing it to Bozeman, Montana, and loving every second of it. The funny thing about income, especially if there's lots of it involved: if I miss my people, hopping a value jet to Atlanta (y'know, the world-class center of the universe, the place where matter and anti-matter chill at the same bar, the place where all good in the universe flows from, all because it's world-class, unlike those cranky New Yorkers or sexually avant garde brainiacs from the Bay Area) is cheap and easy.

These kinds of threads are soooo goood. I wond what the best city for a Kazakh might be? I have a good frind who is Kazakh, his wife is Spanish (Castillan). She's got a doctorate in something or another, he owns a couple small businesses. They're cheerful cheerful people, big cinema aficionados, have the cutest kid, with the hippest parents in the world. And not 'tryna be hip' parents - but really: very cool people into lots of cool stuff, because that's how they are. This area - Triangle/RTP North Carolina seems like the perfect place for them. But could the - God forbid - be missing out on some other ideal destination:?:!?: the greater Midland-Odessa Metropolitan area of Texas for example, or how about someplace like Buffalo, Wyoming.

Makes ya think, don't it?

If there were more than 1000 Kazakhs in America, we might be able to figure it out. I myself am looking for a good Kazakh restaurant in the NY/NJ/Phila corridor.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:03 AM

10,261 posts, read 12,511,724 times
The 10 Best Cities To Raise African-American Families | Madame Noire | Black Women's Lifestyle Guide | Black Hair | Black Love

Madame Noire’s Top 10 Cities For African-American Families:
  1. Washington, D.C. Metro (D-M-V)
  2. Raleigh-Durham, NC
  3. Atlanta, GA
  4. Charlotte, NC
  5. Columbus, OH
  6. Jacksonville, FL
  7. Dallas, TX
  8. Houston, TX
  9. Birmingham, AL
  10. Memphis

Old 06-06-2011, 10:57 AM

I know Memphis has some things going for it (more than a lot of people know) and has a large Black population, but I personally wouldn't put the city on the top 10 best list for Black families.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:25 AM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
It is obvious that some cities that often rank high on some lists as being great for jobs, quality of life, etc. for a general population are terrible for certain populations.

Pittsburgh is a prime example. It's not a good place for black people at all.
Why isn't Pittsburgh good for Black people AT ALL?

Old 06-06-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No middle-to-upper class residential areas that are 1. predominantly Black or 2. welcoming to Blacks. A very small population of middle-to-upper-class Blacks in general.

No social/cultural places, such as Black-owned restaurants, clubs, etc. for people to hang out. Very little black economic activity (business ownership, etc.) compared to other cities.

Very few Black politicians (especially elected) in places of power in city/local government.

Until very recently, no Black-oriented radio station (as WAMO had gone out of business).

Traditionally Black neighborhoods that are high-crime and gang-infested.

Terrible schools, especially in Black neighborhoods.

Few job opportunities for Black professionals (which is why many educated Blacks flee Pgh. as fast as they can).

A reputation among local Blacks as being a very racist city/region.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:19 PM

249 posts, read 609,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I agree 100% as someone who spent time in Pittsburgh (school) the black middle class is non-existant. There aren't many elected officials, look at the make up of the school board and city council. Its quite sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.