Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 08:04 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Agreed. On some of the hills in Seattle you can see Bellevue from afar. I'm not sure we can really call it a suburb anymore though because it's rapidly growing into a full-fledged city, with a lot of business being centered in its downtown.
Still a population less then 150,000. Though it's a true city now it still has many suburban aspects. Still relies on Seattle heavily.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:09 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Still a population less then 150,000. Though it's a true city now it still has many suburban aspects. Still relies on Seattle heavily.
I wish the OP would have made it more clear in his original post about whether or not satellite cities should be included as well.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I wish the OP would have made it more clear in his original post about whether or not satellite cities should be included as well.
Bellevue is an Edge city, Not a satellite city.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:36 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Bellevue is an Edge city, Not a satellite city.
Is Tacoma an edge city?

Old 06-16-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Is Tacoma an edge city?
Tacoma is more of a Twin city. If you actually look up the history, Tacoma should of been the main city in Washington if the railroad wasn't built all the way to Seattle and basically bypassed Tacoma. It's just as old as Seattle and has never functioned the same way. More of an independent city of it's own. Never a suburb or edge city. While Bellevue was a planned city with no real historic importance. It serves as a hub for businesses but is never really referred to as a major city for the region like Seattle and Tacoma are. It may be sooner then not but as one today it is still somewhat of a suburb.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:35 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
Tacoma only has a population of 200,678 while Bellevue has a population of 124,798 which is expected to boom. I think it's funny to think of Tacoma as a real city and not Bellevue considering that Bellevue has the stronger economy, more wealth being invested in it, (a better skyline which doesn't designate a city but it's cool nonetheless ) and is probably going to pass Tacoma in population within the next two decades.

Heck, I live in Riverside, CA which has a population of 310,651 and it still doesn't get the amount of attention that Bellevue gets.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:08 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,770,485 times
Quote:
Tacoma only has a population of 200,678 while Bellevue has a population of 124,798 which is expected to boom. I think it's funny to think of Tacoma as a real city and not Bellevue considering that Bellevue has the stronger economy, more wealth being invested in it, (a better skyline which doesn't designate a city but it's cool nonetheless ) and is probably going to pass Tacoma in population within the next two decades.
City limit lines are arbitrary. Think of Tacoma as Baltimore, Seattle as Washington DC, and Bellevue as Arlington/Tyson's Corner.

Tacoma is a core city, as is Seattle. Over the decades the area in between the two has grown from rural into suburban. Bellevue meanwhile was strawberry farms 50 years ago. Bellevue is a suburb of Seattle is that is developing into a significant center.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:43 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,770,485 times
Quote:
Tacoma is more of a Twin city. If you actually look up the history, Tacoma should of been the main city in Washington if the railroad wasn't built all the way to Seattle and basically bypassed Tacoma.
The railroads terminated at Tacoma and Everett and later extended to Seattle. High land prices caused by real estate speculation helped to stall Tacoma while propel Seattle. East coast investors priced Tacoma out of its terminus title.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:33 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,047,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
So are you saying Jacksonville is a suburb of Orlando?
No Orlando no where close to Jacksonville.

Many people say cities in Florida look to suburb like.That what I was trying debunk.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:54 PM

456 posts, read 774,005 times
Quote:

Heck, I live in Riverside, CA which has a population of 310,651 and it still doesn't get the amount of attention that Bellevue gets.
Bellevue is primarily made up of (fairly expensive) single family homes and now that its built up and has no areas left to annex unless it decides to really redevelop some of them its unlikely to be larger than Tacoma even within 2 decades. To put this in perspective it grew by 13k over the last census period.
Ben
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.