Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 01:35 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Does Tacoma count as a burb?
No. It's now what many would define a satellite city.

Satellite town - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-10-2013, 05:39 PM

136 posts, read 244,476 times
Quote:
I think it does. I can't figure out why people in this post are so obsessed with the difference between a satellite city and a suburb. Wilmington DE is a part of Philadelphia metro just like Jersey city is a part of New York metro. Maybe they are satellites and maybe they are suburbs. It doesn't really matter. They are smaller areas within the same urban area as a much larger city.

I would even call Fort Worth and Saint Paul suburbs of Dallas and Minneapolis.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:57 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
No

Old 06-10-2013, 10:25 PM

318 posts, read 950,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasR30 View Post
I think it does. I can't figure out why people in this post are so obsessed with the difference between a satellite city and a suburb. Wilmington DE is a part of Philadelphia metro just like Jersey city is a part of New York metro. Maybe they are satellites and maybe they are suburbs. It doesn't really matter. They are smaller areas within the same urban area as a much larger city.

I would even call Fort Worth and Saint Paul suburbs of Dallas and Minneapolis.
It does matter.

Both have different historical contexts. Generally, North American suburbs constitute second-ring postwar growth that historically have had one-way commute patterns into major employment centers.

Tacoma does not fit that criteria because it is actually just about as old as Seattle. It's much more of a satellite city, with some remnant of a historical dead city.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:40 PM

494 posts, read 804,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
No Offense, but Wilmington, Reading, and Allentown are anything but suburbs. They are small cities with their own identity. They are not suburbs of Philly. Reading and Wilmington are connected to the Philly metro but are not it's suburbs. Allentown is it's own city connected to Philly and also NYC.

Even each of those three cities have their own suburban communities. Wyomissing, Shillington for Reading and the Lehigh Valley for Allentown.
See below..

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Wilmington is it's own city, but so are alot of Philly's suburbs ie. Camden, Trenton, Chester, Atlantic city. Wilmington is on a SEPTA line, so it is part of Philly's metro. Reading is in Philly's CSA, and Allentown should be in Philly's MSA, A city can be independent and at the same time, a suburb of a larger city, which is the case for Wilmington and the others.
Wilmington has always been a tough call. While it does have it's own identity in a number of ways and thus most who live there do not commute to Philly for work etc ( they work in/near Wilmington ) and it has it's own burbs and thus see Newark, Claymont, Brandywine etc, It is tied to Philly via Septa and media as all the TV stations/news is out of Philly. Wilmington has it's own Newspaper and PBS station but that is it other then radio. Most who live in the area/region ( DE/ne.MD/PA/S.NJ ) refer to Wilmington/Wilmington area and not Philly or suburb of Philly either. Same cannot be said for Camden or even Chester which are commonly referred to as suburbs of Philly. Never really heard Atlantic City referred to as being a burb or having anything to do with Philly other then alot of the tourist there ( down to Wildwood etc ) who happen to be from the Philadelphia area generally. Doubt there is many as well who live in Reading that commute to Philly etc as well and same goes for Trenton.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:55 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
See below..

Wilmington has always been a tough call. While it does have it's own identity in a number of ways and thus most who live there do not commute to Philly for work etc ( they work in/near Wilmington ) and it has it's own burbs and thus see Newark, Claymont, Brandywine etc, It is tied to Philly via Septa and media as all the TV stations/news is out of Philly. Wilmington has it's own Newspaper and PBS station but that is it other then radio. Most who live in the area/region ( DE/ne.MD/PA/S.NJ ) refer to Wilmington/Wilmington area and not Philly or suburb of Philly either. Same cannot be said for Camden or even Chester which are commonly referred to as suburbs of Philly. Never really heard Atlantic City referred to as being a burb or having anything to do with Philly other then alot of the tourist there ( down to Wildwood etc ) who happen to be from the Philadelphia area generally. Doubt there is many as well who live in Reading that commute to Philly etc as well and same goes for Trenton.
The Jersey Shore region really has nothing to do with either Philly or New York because it's so touristy and people from a mix of both cities as well as nationally and even internationally visit the Jersey Shore. The Shore really is NJ's identity despite what those from NY or PA think or say Those who live there will support either NY or Philly teams, even down to Cape May depending on where they or their families are originally from. Many residents are former NY, northern NJ, or PA residents if they weren't born and raised along the shore so I agree, AC to Wildwood is not Philly burbs. I have never connected AC to Philly, personally. It's another city with its own little metro area, kind of like Jersey City as was mentioned earlier.

That being said, if you DO count smaller cities as suburbs of bigger ones near them then Jersey City and Atlantic City have nice skylines. Generally, though, to me suburbs don't have skylines. The cities they are near do.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:14 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
The Jersey Shore region really has nothing to do with either Philly or New York because it's so touristy and people from a mix of both cities as well as nationally and even internationally visit the Jersey Shore. The Shore really is NJ's identity despite what those from NY or PA think or say Those who live there will support either NY or Philly teams, even down to Cape May depending on where they or their families are originally from. Many residents are former NY, northern NJ, or PA residents if they weren't born and raised along the shore so I agree, AC to Wildwood is not Philly burbs. I have never connected AC to Philly, personally. It's another city with its own little metro area, kind of like Jersey City as was mentioned earlier.

That being said, if you DO count smaller cities as suburbs of bigger ones near them then Jersey City and Atlantic City have nice skylines. Generally, though, to me suburbs don't have skylines. The cities they are near do.
I strongly disagree with that statement. Though I wouldn't call Atlantic City(or Wilmington and Camden) a suburb of Philly, they are indeed satellite cities and are part of the greater Philadelphia area. Also the Jersey Shore(Atlantic and Cape May county) is very culturally tied to Philadelphia as there is no denying that.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I strongly disagree with that statement. Though I wouldn't call Atlantic City(or Wilmington and Camden) a suburb of Philly, they are indeed satellite cities and are part of the greater Philadelphia area. Also the Jersey Shore(Atlantic and Cape May county) is very culturally tied to Philadelphia as there is no denying that.
I really don't think that the Jersey Shore, from Sandy Hook to Cape May, is tied to either NYC or Philly. The whole region is classic NJ, as well as extremely touristy - people from NY, PA, NJ, Canada, CT, etc visit. Constant flow of tourists/day trippers makes it in no way tied to Philadelphia or New York, and many people who live there moved from northern NJ, NY, or PA. It's a pretty even mix. The shore is barely populated outside the summer and those who have lived there for generations will like either NY or Philly teams depending on location, but otherwise it's seriously an even mix all the way through of transplants from elsewhere. The Shore region is NJ and NJ only. Too touristy to be tied to a big city. This is from someone who lives in NJ, has all her life, and is extremely tied to the Shore region - the whole shore. I can honestly say neither Philly or New York can claim the Jersey Shore. Maybe by literal definition, metro regions, yes, but culturally no. Far too touristy in its own right. Its year round populations are too insignificant, it's known for being a summer haven not its "cultural ties" to either big city, unlike the rest of the state.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:33 AM

494 posts, read 804,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
There has been a number of articles about this over the years. Initially Alot of the people who moved/vacationed in areas like Wildwood/Egg Harbor/OC were from Philly especially South Philly in Wildwoods case which used to be referred to the mini S.Philly at the shore. Atlantic City always had a good mix from both NYC and Philly atleast since around near/ the beginning of when Gambling was allowed. Again i have never heard of any of them along the Jersey Shore referred to as a satellite city of Philly but Wilmington i have. Most i have known has always referred to Camden, Cherry Hill, Runnemede, etc as the Philly "NJ" burbs or whatever. Most who live in those places though tend to think of them as complete separate entities from Philly. Have seen the same with those from the PA Philly burbs as well. Yet most of them commute to Philly for work etc..

Old 06-11-2013, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
There has been a number of articles about this over the years. Initially Alot of the people who moved/vacationed in areas like Wildwood/Egg Harbor/OC were from Philly especially South Philly in Wildwoods case which used to be referred to the mini S.Philly at the shore. Atlantic City always had a good mix from both NYC and Philly atleast since around near/ the beginning of when Gambling was allowed. Again i have never heard of any of them along the Jersey Shore referred to as a satellite city of Philly but Wilmington i have. Most i have known has always referred to Camden, Cherry Hill, Runnemede, etc as the Philly "NJ" burbs or whatever. Most who live in those places though tend to think of them as complete separate entities from Philly. Have seen the same with those from the PA Philly burbs as well. Yet most of them commute to Philly for work etc..
It still does. Atlantic City is huge among New Yorkers and really the Northeast and East Coast in general. It's kind of like an East Coast Vegas, to call it culturally Philly is preposterous honestly. It has its own culture, as does the whole Jersey Shore. The cities/towns along the NJ coast fall into the NY and Philly metro areas but that and sports teams (from year round residents, not always vacationers) is really where the cities' influence ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.