Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 07:08 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,216 times

Advertisements

I vote San Francisco!

Old 06-11-2013, 08:05 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Philadelphia is only 60 miles from Atlantic City while Boston is 3,000 miles away from Portland, OR. There is a big difference in comparison. Also Atlantic City is a satellite city of Philadelphia and is culturally tied to Philly in many ways.
Really, AC is not tied culturally to Philly. Sorry. It's a pretty major entertainment city on the East Coast that happens to be near Philly within in its metro area. Its constant tourism and visitors give it its own culture and identity and it is known for THAT, not its proximity to Philadelphia or anything to do with Philadelphia. AC has nothing to do with Philly and vice versa. Closeness in distance does not always equal cultural ties. Atlantic City does of course have residents (who likely support Philly sports teams), but it's known for its entertainment and boardwalk (something that is classic NJ - we literally invented it) not as just another place in the Philly metro like South Jersey outside of the immediate shore areas. If AC was 60 miles outside New York, I'd still be saying the same thing btw.

On topic, I've always loved AC's skyline. I love the beach, love the boardwalk, and love the tall hotels and buildings lining them. Pretty lights, reflecting on the water especially, very nice. What's not nice? Wind farms nearby.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 06-11-2013 at 08:20 PM..

Old 06-11-2013, 08:32 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Really, AC is not tied culturally to Philly. Sorry. It's a pretty major entertainment city on the East Coast that happens to be near Philly within in its metro area. Its constant tourism and visitors give it its own culture and identity and it is known for THAT, not its proximity to Philadelphia or anything to do with Philadelphia. AC has nothing to do with Philly and vice versa. Closeness does not always equal cultural ties. Atlantic City does of course have residents (who likely support Philly sports teams), but it's known for its entertainment and boardwalk (something that is classic NJ - we literally invented it) not as just another place in the Philly metro like South Jersey outside of the immediate shore areas. If AC was 60 miles outside New York, I'd still be saying the same thing btw.

On topic, I've always loved AC's skyline. I love the beach, love the boardwalk, and love the tall hotels and buildings lining them. Pretty lights, reflecting on the water especially, very nice. What's not nice? Wind farms nearby.
Since you refuse to accept that there are any cultural ties, I will name a few to back up my point. For starters, Atlantic City is part of the Philly media market. Which means they get all their TV stations and local news out of Philly. Linguistics is another cultural tie. Their dialect falls under and is very influenced by the Philadelphia dialect. Another important cultural aspect is cuisine. There are tons of local stores that serve cheese steaks, hoagies, water ice, stromboli, etc as those foods are very popular in Atlantic City(and South Jersey as well). This clearly shows that there are indeed cultural similarities between Philly and Atlantic City. By the way I live in South Jersey so I know what I'm talking about and I don't need someone from upstate trying to tell me how my area is.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:40 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,183,714 times
Can anybody honestly say that Clayton, Missouri (suburb of STL) is NOT impressive considering its a.) size, and b.) a suburb of a (relatively) quiet Midwestern Rust Belt city?

Old 06-11-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Since you refuse to accept that there are any cultural ties, I will name a few to back up my point. For starters, Atlantic City is part of the Philly media market. Which means they get all their TV stations and local news out of Philly. Linguistics is another cultural tie. Their dialect falls under and is very influenced by the Philadelphia dialect. Another important cultural aspect is cuisine. There are tons of local stores that serve cheese steaks, hoagies, water ice, stromboli, etc as those foods are very popular in Atlantic City(and South Jersey as well). This clearly shows that there are indeed cultural similarities between Philly and Atlantic City. By the way I live in South Jersey so I know what I'm talking about and I don't need someone from upstate trying to tell me how my area is.
That's very nice for you down there but AC is nothing like Philly. Of course you get the Philly media market, but that doesn't mean anyone visiting AC (its whole industry - tourism) associates it with Philly or visits it because it's close to Philly. Atlantic City is its own city with its own industry going for it - and has been this way for decades and decades. It could be nowhere near Philly, New York, or any other major city and still be successful because of what it independently has going for it. It could be under any media market and still be the same AC. That is my point that YOU refuse to accept. It's not like any town, New Jersey that is strictly residential with next to no tourism that is clearly associated with either Philly or NYC as well as likely being a bedroom community for one of the two. Goodbye.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:50 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,888 times
Bellevue Washington. Hands down!

Old 06-11-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Bellevue Washington. Hands down!
Just looked up some pictures, very nice! The mountain in the backdrop certainly helps Bellevue's cause, too.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:48 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post

I would say Jacksonville Florida has better skyline than Miami , Fort Lauderdale.

Jacksonville skyline.

Flickr Search: Jacksonville skyline

How can you not like it.
So are you saying Jacksonville is a suburb of Orlando?

Old 06-13-2013, 10:20 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Fort Worth Texas
Fort Worth is a twin city like Oakland, Long Beach, Tacoma, New Jersey, Baltimore, & St. Paul.

Not a suburb.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 06-13-2013 at 11:29 PM..

Old 06-14-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Fort Worth is a twin city like Oakland, Long Beach, Tacoma, New Jersey, Baltimore, & St. Paul.

Not a suburb.
New Jersey's not a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.