Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 07:18 PM

386 posts, read 986,061 times

Advertisements

This thread was inspired by a post I read a while back where someone from Raleigh moved to Richmond, VA and mentioned that they felt like Richmond VA had a lot more of a southern feel culturally than Raleigh NC. I was wondering if any of you have moved or visited an area north of where you are from, or where you have lived and noticed an increase of southern culture. Example - Someone from Atlanta may have moved/visited NC/KY and noticed people had stronger southern accents, lifestyles, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 12:13 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,497 times
I feel as if big cities don't show a lot of Southern lifestyle.
Houston sure doesn't. Neither does Dallas. Austin DOES NOT IN ANYWAY. San Antonio is closer to Mexican than southern. New Orleans is it's own thing. Oklahoma city is centered around Native American Culture more, El Paso is not even in the South. Raleigh kind of reminds me of a mini Dallas. Miami is more Cuban than it is Southern. Orlando is a giant theme park. Jacksonville is too enveloped with the beach. Memphis is more like St. Louis, Kentucky is closer to Ohio and Indiana.

Maybe Atlanta a little, but that's really cause it's the heart of the south. Texas, Florida, and Louisiana do their own thing. Virginia has a hard time maintaining a southern identity when Washington DC is almost in the state itself.

Knoxville maybe, Nashville... Obviously Birmingham. Richmond too... and Charlotte... Little Rock.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:19 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,421 times
Bushwood, Maryland feels extremely southern.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:10 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,971,439 times
After visiting Indianapolis, IN, I noticed a lot of southern-sounding accents. I wouldn't say that Indy felt particularly southern, but perhaps it has attracted a lot of transplants from further south.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:46 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,108 times
Nashville and Birmingham are the two largest cities that still feel overwhelmingly southern (populations are still over eighty percent southerners).

Raleigh-Durham is probably half relocated yankees. Charlotte is about one-third non-southern. Memphis feels southern, but it's not quite as southern in feel as Nashville and Birmingham, in my opinion. Richmond is southern, but about like Memphis, a bit less than Nashville and Birmingham in southernness. Louisville is southern, but given that it's right on the Ohio River, it's a bit diluted.

The largest southern metros (Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Dallas) are very diluted. Of these, Atlanta feels the most southern, though it feels only like half the population is southern (realistically, about sixty percent is).

The most southern feeling metros, however, are the smaller ones, such as Montgomery, Macon, Columbus, GA, Columbia, SC, Jackson, MS, Baton Rouge, Knoxville, Monroe, LA, Chattanooga, Greenville, SC.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:21 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,399,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Bushwood, Maryland feels extremely southern.
Not Funny.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.