Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2011, 11:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,462 times

Advertisements

im 28 yrs old mother of four children ranging 7m - 11yrs im a lpn and engaged my family n i really want a change we want to move but just dont know where i know it has to be one of th 24 nurse compact states (AZ TX CO DE NC SC SD ND WI TN MS KY MA RI ) cant remember all we dont like real cold weather or want to live in a big city close to one would be fine my fiance is a welder hopefully we can find somewhere he can work with his experience just wanted some input on places we kind of like the mid west or south region
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 06:22 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
I'd recommend North Carolina. The climate is much more mild (and far less stormy) than what you're used to in Missouri and the job market is pretty healthy in most areas. Check out Greensboro in the central part of the state. It's a beautiful city with lots of trees/grass and rolling hills. It has a low cost of living and has more of a manufacturing presence that would help your husband find work. Being a large metro area you'll find many hospitals and nursing facilities to apply to. The NW suburbs offer the best schools...look at Oak Ridge, Summerfield, Stokesdale or the Guilford College area near the airport. Good luck in the search!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greensboro,_North_Carolina

Old 06-10-2011, 10:58 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,456 times
Quote:
... the [NC] job market is pretty healthy in most areas
Not sure where you're getting your information, but it is not accurate. North Carolina has a very, very high unemployment rate; among the higher rates in the nation. A specialized market, such as LPN, might be a little easier to land a job, but overall there is a TON of competition for available jobs from people already living here AND people who want to move here.

Some areas are "cheap," but definition of cheap is relative to where you're coming from. Do plenty of research on NC before deciding this is the promised land.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:49 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Not sure where you're getting your information, but it is not accurate. North Carolina has a very, very high unemployment rate; among the higher rates in the nation. A specialized market, such as LPN, might be a little easier to land a job, but overall there is a TON of competition for available jobs from people already living here AND people who want to move here.

Some areas are "cheap," but definition of cheap is relative to where you're coming from. Do plenty of research on NC before deciding this is the promised land.
You sound bitter, and unemployed. The fact is a medical professional is going to have a better chance of finding employment than most, particularly in the high turnover senior care category. Greensboro has a bigger than average manufacturing base as well. It has one of the lowest costs of living in the country also. Based on the OP's criteria, it fits. I would hope the OP has the sense to apply for and get a position before moving, not just in Greensboro but in any job market in the US. Lastly, I used to live in NC (7 years in the Triangle) and have a pretty good grasp of what's going on even though I no longer live there through continued visits to friends in the area. Oakey-dokey?

Old 06-15-2011, 11:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,462 times
thank you i will definitely look into this area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.