Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 06:31 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times

Advertisements

You are correct...Miami has dipped into the 30’s—once this decade, a dozen or so times over the past 50 years—if only for a day (morning low for the day) or two. The low this year was 41 in January (at MIA), though with wind chill felt colder.

...and watch out for those iguanas falling from trees!!...we are currently going through a 2 day period where morning temperatures are in the high 40’s before returning to more normal 60’s morning temperatures beginning tomorrow.

https://www.currentresults.com/Yearl...emperature.php

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ins...-2020-12%3famp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevven View Post
Exactly - for even Miami dip below 50 the way it does every winter should throw up some red flags. Now temps in the 40s actually is not a real threat to most subtropical and some true tropical vegetation but Miami has hit the 30s NUMEROUS times in the last 50 years and that can seriously threaten the vegetation in the region if it gets low enough, too long. Luckily, Miami dodged some bullets in the 90s to the early 2010's (where temps often did even go below 40 for years there) but we had some serious polar vortexes in the last 6 years that sorta brought the 80's back. Miami just went below 40 this year and subject to do this winter even though it's La Nina (polar vortexes happen La Nina - arctic oscillation is imminent).

Last edited by elchevere; 12-26-2020 at 06:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2020, 10:56 AM

346 posts, read 198,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
You are correct...Miami has dipped into the 30’s—once this decade, a dozen or so times over the past 50 years—if only for a day (morning low for the day) or two. The low this year was 41 in January (at MIA), though with wind chill felt colder.

...and watch out for those iguanas falling from trees!!...we are currently going through a 2 day period where morning temperatures are in the high 40’s before returning to more normal 60’s morning temperatures beginning tomorrow.

https://www.currentresults.com/Yearl...emperature.php

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ins...-2020-12%3famp
Yeah, that cold that passed through the other night really chilled FL as a whole. I know Jacksonville FL for example got into the 20's yesterday morning and I think upper 20's (around 30) this morning. Jacksonville got in the single digits in the 80's where other cities at the same latitude in other continents never even touched 20 degrees! Jacksonville is barely zone 9A (maybe some 9B microclimates on the coast due to oceanic influences) which it just puts in the realm of supporting subtropical vegetation outside of sabal palms and pindos. You take a city like Osaka in Japan, which has significantly lower winter averages but support just as much as subtropical vegetation because their absolute temp minimum is in the same realm as Jacksonville (Osaka record low is 19F and Jacksonville's is 9F! Jacksonville is in zone 9a and Osaka is in zone 10a!)

Old 12-28-2020, 06:10 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cevven View Post
Yeah, that cold that passed through the other night really chilled FL as a whole. I know Jacksonville FL for example got into the 20's yesterday morning and I think upper 20's (around 30) this morning. Jacksonville got in the single digits in the 80's where other cities at the same latitude in other continents never even touched 20 degrees! Jacksonville is barely zone 9A (maybe some 9B microclimates on the coast due to oceanic influences) which it just puts in the realm of supporting subtropical vegetation outside of sabal palms and pindos. You take a city like Osaka in Japan, which has significantly lower winter averages but support just as much as subtropical vegetation because their absolute temp minimum is in the same realm as Jacksonville (Osaka record low is 19F and Jacksonville's is 9F! Jacksonville is in zone 9a and Osaka is in zone 10a!)
As a Jax resident I can confirm that Christmas night was the coldest night of the year for Jacksonville. Thankfully it doesn't hit below freezing too much down here.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:37 AM

22 posts, read 14,985 times
New Orleans
Atlanta
Houston
Cincinnati
Nashville
Charleston, SC
DC
New York City
Richmond

Old 01-10-2021, 07:11 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitySlickerFuego View Post
New Orleans
Atlanta
Houston
Cincinnati
Nashville
Charleston, SC
DC
New York City
Richmond
NYC? I would have thought that is more humid continental. DC is hard to place. Their summers are much in line with the South. Especially July. But the winters are more like Philadelphia than it is Atlanta.

Btw, Texas is showing just how subtropical it really is today.

Old 01-10-2021, 07:19 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Phoenix
Atlanta
Miami
New Orleans
Houston
Dallas

Portland
Seattle
Redding
El Paso
Oklahoma City
St. Louis
Cincinnati
Nashville
Charleston, SC

DC
New York City
Richmond

My picks highlighted in red.

The ones in yellow are borderline.

Old 01-22-2021, 04:31 AM

346 posts, read 198,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
As a Jax resident I can confirm that Christmas night was the coldest night of the year for Jacksonville. Thankfully it doesn't hit below freezing too much down here.
Sorry for late response. Yeah, I actually like Jacksonville's climate - average temps throughout the year are basically close to perfect. The issue it the annual mean min temps and the record lows. Average Jan temps in the mid-60s as highs and lows in the mid-40's, I'm totally fine with as a warm/hot weather lover BUT record lows in the single digits and annual mean mins in the 20's and I'm not the fondest of.

Old 01-22-2021, 08:35 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
NYC? I would have thought that is more humid continental. DC is hard to place. Their summers are much in line with the South. Especially July. But the winters are more like Philadelphia than it is Atlanta.

NYC is the northernmost humid subtropical City. DC, Philly and Atlanta are Humid Subtropical as well.

Old 01-22-2021, 08:56 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,265,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Exactly, look how quickly temperatures warmed up after that event in North/Central Texas. Not to mention the lack of really cold weather in spite it all - nothing lower than mid 20s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
NYC is the northernmost humid subtropical City. DC, Philly and Atlanta are Humid Subtropical as well.
DC, NYC, and Philly aren't true humid subtropical climates. I place them more as a transitional between humid subtropical and continental. Those places would have been firmly oceanic if they were to have been on equivalent latitudes in Europe or Australia.

I don't even consider Atlanta and Dallas as having true subtropical climates, they are subtropical-lite.

Old 01-22-2021, 09:01 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Phoenix
Atlanta
Miami
New Orleans
Houston
Dallas

Portland
Seattle
Redding
El Paso
Oklahoma City
St. Louis
Cincinnati
Nashville
Charleston, SC

DC
New York City
Richmond

My picks highlighted in red.

The ones in yellow are borderline.
I just realize what I did.

I meant to say the oneds in blue are borderline subtropical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.