Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 01:34 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I can't believe how snowy New Mexico and Arizona are!
People forget about how mountainous these states are. The metropolitan Phoenix area is gets little to no snow, but the northern and eastern parts of Arizona are very snowy and mountainous. New Mexico has even higher mountains than Arizona and is even more snowy. Albuquerque does get its share of snow (though the intense sun melts it off quickly), and the capital Santa Fe is just a few miles away from a ski resort, so it gets plenty of snow. Northern New Mexico is justifiably famous for its powder skiing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 02:05 PM

604 posts, read 1,520,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
People forget about how mountainous these states are. The metropolitan Phoenix area is gets little to no snow, but the northern and eastern parts of Arizona are very snowy and mountainous. New Mexico has even higher mountains than Arizona and is even more snowy. Albuquerque does get its share of snow (though the intense sun melts it off quickly), and the capital Santa Fe is just a few miles away from a ski resort, so it gets plenty of snow. Northern New Mexico is justifiably famous for its powder skiing.

Agreed. Many people back east do not realize how mountainous the western states are. Places like New Mexico, Northern Arizona, and Nevada get quite a bit of snow. Even more so the farther north you go into places like Utah, Idaho, and Oregon, Washington, Montaha.

Click on the link below. This is a current map from today June 16th, 2011 of the snowfall coverage in the United States. Notice how much snow there is covering the rockies and the interior ranges of the intermountain west. The cascades and coastal ranges of the pacific northwest still have plenty of snow right now. Currently paradise at the 5,000 foot level on Rainier still has a good 151 inches on the ground.

Intellicast - Snow Cover in United States

Old 06-25-2011, 09:04 PM

121 posts, read 342,085 times
I don't care what the map says - as a climate/weather buff all my life (44), I say Kentucky does NOT have a subtropical climate, it comes closer to having a modified continental climate. Maybe it's on the border b/t a continental and subtropical. Tampa is subtropical, NOT Kentucky.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:38 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FebruaryAir View Post
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Phoenix
Atlanta
Miami
New Orleans
Houston
Dallas
Portland
Seattle
Redding
El Paso
Oklahoma City
St. Louis
Cincinnati
Nashville
Charleston, SC
DC
New York City
Richmond
Admittedly, though, I've been to only 8 of the cities listed, so I'm no expert.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:10 AM

I agree I think DC, Charleston ,Dallas, Houston, Atalanta, Miami, and New Orleans are subtropical. I am not sure why the OP put any of the other cities are on there.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:06 AM

869 posts, read 1,124,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
Well according to the Koppen climate classification, the qualification for subtropical is that the coldest month has an average temperature of either 0C or -3C. Internationally they use the =3C value since that is persistant frost line while many US sources use the 0C value. Cities like St. Louis and New York are in between those values making it vary depending on what is used. (would be interesting if updated climate charts show them trending towards 0C)
that Koppen thingy is a crock

for me the sub-tropical zone would extend to 200 miles inland along the gulf thus including all of Fla and would stretch along the atlantic seaboard but no more than 100 miles inland and this all the way to cape Hatteras

the way I see it only Miami, Houston, New-Orleans and Charleston SC would make the cut

Old 06-27-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
that Koppen thingy is a crock

for me the sub-tropical zone would extend to 200 miles inland along the gulf thus including all of Fla and would stretch along the atlantic seaboard but no more than 100 miles inland and this all the way to cape Hatteras

the way I see it only Miami, Houston, New-Orleans and Charleston SC would make the cut
Depends on who is defining what subtropical is. There are multiple factors. Generally subtropical climates exist between 30 and 40 degrees north latitude. There are a number of other factors as well including but not limited to: types of plants that grow, length and humidity of summers.

Pretty much the entire southeastern United States is subtropical.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:31 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,240 times
One thing that does seem to occur is the subtropical/continental climate line does seem to have a difference in terms of how long snow cover stays on the ground and what the typical image of winter in an area is.

One surprise with the Koppen system is while continental climate has divisions, subtropical does not. It doesn't deliniate between a city on the northern edge of the zone (which if going by the -3C definition is either St. Louis or New York) and a city like Tampa.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:12 PM

739 posts, read 1,187,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
Depends on who is defining what subtropical is. There are multiple factors. Generally subtropical climates exist between 30 and 40 degrees north latitude.There are a number of other factors as well including but not limited to: types of plants that grow, length and humidity of summers.

Pretty much the entire southeastern United States is subtropical.
St. Louis is not in that zone. Not even according to that Koppen thingy. Just based on subtropical plants/trees alone, is evidence. They are not indigenous to that city, region or climate.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:58 PM

148 posts, read 403,664 times
I'm in a sheltered valley with almost no wind, with a southern exposure in my backyard, in a very built up urban area (with black tarred flat roofed red brick rowhouses). Very often a wet snow melts right away here but not at my office in the suburbs, and definitely not at my parents house 70 miles north of here. I appear to be in a microclimate that's similar to cape girardeau, mo (it's actually warmer here in summer) which is on the border of humid subtropical. I have canna bulbs that survive the winter in the ground and a european palm. serious snow events are very rare down here, but will sometimes paralyze the area my parents live in.

It's very clear to me that most of the suburbs to the north and west are not as warm as the low lying old brick neighborhoods and some suburban areas directly south. Does that warrant a humid subtropical circle of parts of st. louis city and county, probably not, but something is different. st. louis was the 4th largest urban core at one point, so theres still a lot of warmed concrete and brick working on the very local climate, especially south of I-64 where there stereotypically strong midwestern winds are non-existant (hardly ever a breeze) and there is a potent urban heat island effect.

certainly humid subtropical isnt the right term for a lot of what it covers, and the classification seems unfit for vast swaths of north america where temperatures swing wildly through the seasons, to be sure.

Last edited by CoffeeAndBeer; 07-30-2011 at 09:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.