Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 02:05 AM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Hawaii is tropical. The only part of the 48 states that can say that is the Florida Keys.
Not really, the true tropics begins at the Tropic of Capricorn (or is it Tropic of Cancer? I forget which one is on the Northern Hemisphere). Quite frankly, whichever of the two Tropics it is, it starts several miles south of Key West.

Only Hawaii (and some of its territories like Puerto Rico, Guam and others) is tropical, as far as the United States is concerned. The rest, not at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 05:34 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Not really, the true tropics begins at the Tropic of Capricorn (or is it Tropic of Cancer? I forget which one is on the Northern Hemisphere). Quite frankly, whichever of the two Tropics it is, it starts several miles south of Key West.

Only Hawaii (and some of its territories like Puerto Rico, Guam and others) is tropical, as far as the United States is concerned. The rest, not at all.
So, technically the tropics start somewhere between Key West and Cuba?

Old 07-31-2011, 06:35 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
The Tropic of Cancer is at 23° 26′ 16 North latitude. I was thinking it was 22 something, but I guess not. Essentially though yes, it seems to be a latitude between Key West and Cuba. More accurately the Northern cusp of Cuba is on the Tropic of Cancer.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._of_cancer.svg

Old 07-31-2011, 10:20 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
This Koppen Classification is a lot of crap. Sounds like someone is trying to redefine what a real sub tropical climate is. "Do you mean is, is or is was?"

We had this debate on a board a couple of years ago with some guy trying to claim most of coastal southern New England was sub tropical. What a joke. You won't find very much plant life that exists in the tropics surviving even a single New England winter, even on the coast.

Here in KC there are some Prickly Pear Cactus in some rural areas. Not sure how they got here but do survive the winters here. I guess that would be indicative of a southwestern climate here despite the high humidity in the summer.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:38 AM

14,010 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
This Koppen Classification is a lot of crap. Sounds like someone is trying to redefine what a real sub tropical climate is. "Do you mean is, is or is was?"

We had this debate on a board a couple of years ago with some guy trying to claim most of coastal southern New England was sub tropical. What a joke. You won't find very much plant life that exists in the tropics surviving even a single New England winter, even on the coast.

Here in KC there are some Prickly Pear Cactus in some rural areas. Not sure how they got here but do survive the winters here. I guess that would be indicative of a southwestern climate here despite the high humidity in the summer.
What are you Talking about Providence only gets 45 inches of snow a year, clearly subtropical.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:49 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
What are you Talking about Providence only gets 45 inches of snow a year, clearly subtropical.
I've always been impressed by the sweeping view of Palm trees along the nearby river from the top floors of the Hospital Trust Tower.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:13 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Ohio Valley cities= subtropical climate zone per Koffen Classification.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:59 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I've always been impressed by the sweeping view of Palm trees along the nearby river from the top floors of the Hospital Trust Tower.
Indeed! I hear the Sabal Palmetto will become the new state tree for Rhode Island.

Hmm, I live in southwestern Connecticut (the warmest part not just of the state, but of all of New England) and regardless what anyone want to say, this area doesn't have subtropical vegetation growing naturally. How can this be in an area with 'subtropical' climate? Where are the plants????

I go by what mother nature shows us via vegetation. On the day I see one, just one subtropical plant successfully growing anywhere along here, that's when I'll believe that it has become subtropical. Until then, not so much!

Last winter I was sick to my stomach with all the 'subtropical' snow we had. It was even near zero for quite sometime, pure ice covered everywhere for weeks! It was ridiculous. Go ahead, visit the Connecticut forum and click on the photos thread and see how 'subtropical' my area is. You'd think you're in Jacksonville, Florida! LOL!

Old 08-01-2011, 08:03 PM

604 posts, read 1,520,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Indeed! I hear the Sabal Palmetto will become the new state tree for Rhode Island.

Hmm, I live in southwestern Connecticut (the warmest part not just of the state, but of all of New England) and regardless what anyone want to say, this area doesn't have subtropical vegetation growing naturally. How can this be in an area with 'subtropical' climate? Where are the plants????

I go by what mother nature shows us via vegetation. On the day I see one, just one subtropical plant successfully growing anywhere along here, that's when I'll believe that it has become subtropical. Until then, not so much!

Last winter I was sick to my stomach with all the 'subtropical' snow we had. It was even near zero for quite sometime, pure ice covered everywhere for weeks! It was ridiculous. Go ahead, visit the Connecticut forum and click on the photos thread and see how 'subtropical' my area is. You'd think you're in Jacksonville, Florida! LOL!
Although to be fair subtropical plants can grow in northern climates. I have seen hardy palms grow as far north as Switzerland, England, and even parts of southern Sweden. Of course those plants do not naturally grow in those climates with abundance. They only grow there because people plant them in their yards.

Natural tree type is a pretty good indication of what is considered subtropical. I think it is fair to say that most places in the southeastern United States is considered subtropical. Pretty much from early May until September you can get pretty blistering temps with high humidity. Even places in the lower Midwest like Oklahoma, and southern Missouri have subtropical aspects to their climate. Again many of these states easily see 5 months with average temps above 75 degrees with high humidity. The subtropical climate in the United States begins somewhere in central Texas, and stretches east into Oklahoma, Missouri and as far north as Baltimore/DC and south into Florida. The desert southwest is not subtropical because it tends to be fairly dry in the summer, and the nights can be cool due to the higher elevation.

BTW You can easily make the argument that Washington D.C. and the midatlantic is considered subtropical. All one has to do is look at the average summer temps and humidity during the late spring and summer months. D.C. has 5 solid months above 75 degrees. Again the same applies with Baltimore. It has over 5 months with average temps above 75 degrees with high humidity.

May
Average high temperature: 76
June
Average high temperature: 84
July
Average high temperature: 89
August
Average high temperature: 87
September
Average high temperature: 80

Last edited by skihikeclimb; 08-01-2011 at 08:24 PM..

Old 08-11-2011, 04:05 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
I'm gonna say that SE Missouri and extreme SW Illinois are subtropical. Bald Cypress trees in the swamps & small cacti don't seem very "Humid Continental" to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.