Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 07:15 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
I second that.

Seriously, Chestnut Hill in Northwest Philly is perfect for you. Green trees, beautiful hills, great schools, somewhat near the largest mall in the US (King of Prussia Mall), pretty safe, and of course, it is not very far from the bustling downtown of Philadelphia where u have tons of great architecture, museums, nightlife, restaurants etc.

Seriously think about it.
For a somewhat cheaper alternative Mount Airy, which is adjacent to Chestnut Hill offers the same amenities and is considered by many to be the first successfully integrated neighborhood in the country. It is also a few minutes closer to Center City although both neighborhoods are served by the same Regional Rail Lines (Chestnut Hill West and Chestnut Hill East)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 09:06 AM

93,171 posts, read 123,783,345 times
This can help in terms of schools you want: Membership Directory (http://www.nais.org/transact/MembershipDirectory.cfm - broken link)

Old 06-21-2011, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 3,481 times
Wow, sorry it took so long to check back. Didn't think I'd actually get a response... not sure such a place existed.

So, from the cities kindly mentioned (thank you everyone), I'm looking at Chicago and Northwest Philadelphia. Which of the two cities would you say is more exciting and resembles New York?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrob View Post
Chicago. There are quite a few areas within the city where you can get a new build SFH w/backyard.
And where in Chicago should I be looking at?

Old 06-22-2011, 04:00 PM

765 posts, read 1,859,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello world View Post
Wow, sorry it took so long to check back. Didn't think I'd actually get a response... not sure such a place existed.

So, from the cities kindly mentioned (thank you everyone), I'm looking at Chicago and Northwest Philadelphia. Which of the two cities would you say is more exciting and resembles New York?

And where in Chicago should I be looking at?
To be honest, I'd say they are equally exciting. Of course Chicago is much bigger, but Philly is better in the sense that the downtown is truly where all the action is. Chicago has a centralized business district that is larger with a far more impressive skyline, but as far as neighborhoods go, downtown Chicago isn't so much the neighborhood that Center City Philadelphia is. Philadelphia is as much a neighborhood city as Chicago, only its not as big. (Don't get me wrong Philly is huge, its the 5th largest city in the US, but Chi is the 3rd largest).

Which city feels more like NY? Well, both cities are more like each other than they are like New York. New York is a beast that is pretty much untouched by other American cities. However, I'd say Philadelphia is a bit more like New York because it is an east coast city with an east coast grit and an east coast vibe. Chicago is more midwestern vibe where the people are pretty laid back compared to the east coast cities. I've been to all three and that is my honest judgement.

You honestly cannot go wrong with either Chicago or Philly. I'd say pick Philly. Its smack dab in the east coast where you have all kinds of opportunities to have day trips to so many places (NYC, Baltimore, DC, Poconos, the Jersery Shore/Atlantic City etc). All that plus all the wonderful things that the Philadelphia area has to offer. Oh btw, I think Philly is cheaper as well, so thats another thing to consider.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:22 PM

125 posts, read 333,535 times
Philadelphia is probably your best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.