Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 12:53 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times

Advertisements

I second the sun belt, Chicago, Portland, and Seattle and Miami. Portland and Seattle are the most laid back and safest, and in my opinion, the most vibrant.

Chicago is just so diverse and so big you will find something there.

The most affordable of these will be Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 01:14 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,589 times
Still to not have LA, Boston, Las Vegas, Miami on that first list. Kind of baffling that the other cities made it like Boise.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:14 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You miss read. The first list is the Young adults list.
the second one is least expensive for any age.

Omaha was not suggested for 20 somethings
Yep - got it now. I can agree with those on the list with the clear exception of Lansing (though I'm less enamored with Austin than most nor am I a big Charlotte fan, but to each their own). I also stand by my post.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:27 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
For fun AND inexpensive, I'd recommend:

Austin
Chicago
Minneapolis
St. Louis
Cleveland
Columbus
Cincinnati
Dallas
Houston
Atlanta
Nashville
Pittsburgh
Detroit
Milwaukee
Memphis
Denver

Of those cities that I've been to, I'd personally recommend:

Chicago
Austin
Denver
Minneapolis
Cleveland

Old 06-12-2011, 02:17 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Still to not have LA, Boston, Las Vegas, Miami on that first list. Kind of baffling that the other cities made it like Boise.
Those cities are all pricey,and the job market isn't all that in them either.

I don't find it baffling at all that places like Boston and Miami are not on a most affordable place to live cause frankly they are not at all the most affordable.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:47 PM

704 posts, read 1,792,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Denver is a great place for someone in their 20's.
I would say that the Denver suburbs are great for young families, but I've never viewed Denver itself as a very young city, especially the city itself. Denver's demographics have always seemed older to me. Once you get into the suburbs, you have a lot of young married couples with kids, but nowhere in the the state is there a raging "singles scene" like you'll find in places like Austin, Chicago, Seattle, Atlanta, etc.

Colorado Springs really is a great city for young people, and I would choose it over Denver.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:02 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Those cities are all pricey,and the job market isn't all that in them either.

I don't find it baffling at all that places like Boston and Miami are not on a most affordable place to live cause frankly they are not at all the most affordable.
What you posted wasn't an affordability list. It was a list for best places for young adults (i.e. young professionals).

Frankly, it's going to be tough to get a great young professional city for a cheap cost. The only options I see like that are Phoenix/Scottsdale/Temple and Las Vegas.

By great young professional city I mean variety of neighborhoods, demographics, types of housing, concentrated nightlife in several areas, variety of restaurants, etc.

Objectively, I think everyone agrees that these cities belong on the list:

NYC
Chicago
LA
DC
Boston
SF
Miami
Las Vegas

I would say it is likely that these belong on the list (depending on individual tastes):

Philly
Phoenix
New Orleans
Houston
Dallas
Austin
Denver
Minneapolis

I think it's pretty obvious that these are not on par with either list above

Des Moines
Boise
Fayetteville (I mean really)
Provo (come on)

Old 06-12-2011, 04:17 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
For fun AND inexpensive, I'd recommend:

Austin
Chicago
Minneapolis
St. Louis
Cleveland
Columbus
Cincinnati
Dallas
Houston
Atlanta
Nashville
Pittsburgh
Detroit
Milwaukee
Memphis
Denver

Of those cities that I've been to, I'd personally recommend:

Chicago
Austin
Denver
Minneapolis
Cleveland
I'd add Buffalo to that list with neighborhoods like Elmwood Village, Allentown, North Buffalo and Parkside. Nightlife spots are open until 4 am and you are close to Toronto too.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

http://www.hertelhasit.com/

http://www.buffalobarfly.com/

http://www.parksidebuffalo.org/

The Elmwood Village Association

Allentown Association

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-12-2011 at 04:28 PM..

Old 06-12-2011, 05:39 PM

62 posts, read 169,615 times
Two main cities that I have thought over have been Nashville, Tn. and Phoenix, Az. Of these two I have frequently seen Tennessee near the top of the list on most Obese state population, and lowest quality of life. I've been to Nashville many times and can't beleive that this would be true for this city, but again I don't live here. My main concern with Phoenix would be job market. I constantly hear that there are not many good wage jobs in Phoenix. I also have heard that downtown is not lively and an unsure of the 20's crowd there. Mainly I would like a town with a large population of ppl near my age to meet, and singles, along with things to do (nightlife,outdoors, and so on) to avoid boredom. I appreciate any and all opinions and feedback again!

Old 06-12-2011, 06:16 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
You're right, Buffalo seems like a good choice. I don't know enough about its housing prices and I've never even visited it, so I couldn't include it on the first go-around, but it's fine to add to the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.