Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 02:44 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,278 times

Advertisements

Which city in the U.S. has the highest concentration of Wiccans and/or Buddhists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 03:15 PM

114 posts, read 510,785 times
probably portland or seattle

Old 08-06-2007, 03:22 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Cassadaga Fl and Cassadaga NY

Old 08-06-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrytown View Post
probably portland or seattle
Really? What makes you say that? Have you witnessed many Wiccans in Portland and Seattle?

Old 08-06-2007, 07:17 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Cassadaga Fl and Cassadaga NY
I should add that's for Wiccans. Practically the entire city is wiccan.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:47 AM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,955 times
Salem is LOADED with witches. Many are wiccans however there is a large population of traditional witches who have been around long before Gardner.

I think when mentioning Cassadaga, NY, one has to mention nearby Lily Dale. Lily Dale is a community of psychics and witches. The village functions as a cooperative and that includes the housing. You have to buy-in to Lily Dale to live there. It's quite unique.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:26 PM

46 posts, read 158,711 times
salem massachusetts

they're everywhere there, many shops

Old 08-07-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
I should add that's for Wiccans. Practically the entire city is wiccan.

Really? Never would have thought Florida, especially since it's such a Red/Republican state.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
Salem is LOADED with witches. Many are wiccans however there is a large population of traditional witches who have been around long before Gardner.

I think when mentioning Cassadaga, NY, one has to mention nearby Lily Dale. Lily Dale is a community of psychics and witches. The village functions as a cooperative and that includes the housing. You have to buy-in to Lily Dale to live there. It's quite unique.
Jason- Thank you for the link, it was most helpful. I briefly read it and it looks like it's more of a school serving to educate and enlighten people on spiritual practices and understanding. Is Lillydale part of/near Cassadaga or is it a seperate city in its self? Very interesting place indeed. They are so rare in the U.S. especially with everything being dominated by Christian churches and right wing politics.

I will definitely look in to Salem/MA (Have you ever been there?)
What's this talk about Portland/OR and Seattle/WA as being a Wiccan haven?
Can someone elaborate on this, someone who has experienced this themselves.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:40 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,955 times
I have been to Salem, never to Lily Dale. Salem is a beautiful town and I know one of the old tradition families there. My introduction, via a good friend who told me about his family, was an interesting experience and confirmed for me that there are witches and, "old ways," people who are definitely pre-Gardnerian. They are definitely not the crystals and cards crowd you find in most places. It was a bit unnerving actually as many of these families have been practicing for a long time and not only are they rich, they are powerful. As I understand it, they arrived in Salem soon after the hysteria and never left. The women are the heads of the families and they run the show. The men aren't as involved in the craft but rather go out and earn piles of money though they do participate in most rituals. The families tend to intermarry too. It's kept quite hush, hush. No outward appearance would tell you these people are witches. They do not much mix with the Wiccans in the town, prefering their own little social enclave.

Cassadaga is a tiny village, Lily Dale even smaller. Cassadaga is an incorporated village in the township of Stockton in Chautauqua county. Lily Dale is an unincorporated hamlet in the township. It is not within the confines of the incorporated village of Cassadaga, just close to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.