Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 04:02 PM

870 posts, read 1,569,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually I think that is very fair - I posted more in jest to what to me was some stupid posts but on further review see the humor was in poor taste on my end. I am deleting my post as I think it was in poor taste. If you do the same it will be removed from viewing in this thread.

Edit - unfortunately I am beyond the edit/delete time. If a mod can delete it would be much appreciated.
I didn't imply it was poor taste for you posting it. What I meant was that movie shined a negative light on the region.

I wasn't offended at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 06:18 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I'm not "scared" of any states based on personal safety, though I might find myself afraid in cities such as East St Louis and Camden. I am "scared" of states with extreme climates (e.g., Dakotas, central Arizona, the deep south) as I've lived in one and never want to do so again. I'm also not exactly "scared" but would prefer not to live in states that I find politically backward, because god knows what sort of arcane laws they'll pass next (like: maybe I'll be fined if I don't carry a loaded semi-automatic at all times so I personally can stop an illegal female immigrant from getting an abortion - those kind of states).

Is this what you had in mind?
yeah, sure... first off, that wouldn't happen. second off, we wouldn't want to stop an illegal from getting an abortion because if it was up to us, she wouldn't be here in the first place. third, you want a state with a lot of stupid laws and regulation? try california.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:33 PM

717 posts, read 898,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
How come it is on all the lists for the poorest, most religiously nutty, racist,and least diverse states? All lies, I guess?
Even if that's true, what does that have to do with someone randomly walking up to you and starting to arguing with you over your personal beliefs? Don't be ridiculous.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:23 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I wouldn't do either one. I stay away from black criminals and gangstas and white racists.
Quite frankly; the agenda of white supremacist have changed tremendously since the 50s. Blacks are the least of their worries now. They've gone more political now.

It's funny though how these so called open-minded, liberal, atheist people are speaking on ignorance within the south, but don't realize they are representing ignorance as they speak.

"I'm scared of the south because people would hate me because I'm an atheist". Sorry to inform you guys, but you're just not that important and you wouldn't be the first or last atheist here in the south.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:29 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
Even if that's true, what does that have to do with someone randomly walking up to you and starting to arguing with you over your personal beliefs? Don't be ridiculous.
Right. The worst someone is going to say to you is "Why don't you believe?". From that point; it's up to you on how to handle it.

Trust me people; there are worst things in life than someone questioning your religious beliefs.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:35 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~CountryBoy~ View Post
If I travel through Montana and stop at a town that has a predominately white population to grab something to eat then most likely I would get weird looks from some folks there because they probably aren't use to seeing a black person in their town or city. The black population in Montana is very low.
I don't get this.

So because Montana's black population is low, you most likely would get "weird looks"? Minority population low, does not = racist.

Montana is one of the least racist states there is IMO, and I have seen black people in my travels through there. Anybody should feel fine in Montana, it is a very friendly state overall. I'm Latino, and still manage to be treated like a human being there....I think people that haven't been there before would be pleasantly surprised -- especially if they put their preconceived notions out of mind.

Do states like Vermont and Maine get talked about like this (in regards to black people traveling there)?

Old 07-03-2011, 01:58 AM

316 posts, read 559,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I don't get this.

So because Montana's black population is low, you most likely would get "weird looks"? Minority population low, does not = racist.

Montana is one of the least racist states there is IMO, and I have seen black people in my travels through there. Anybody should feel fine in Montana, it is a very friendly state overall. I'm Latino, and still manage to be treated like a human being there....I think people that haven't been there before would be pleasantly surprised -- especially if they put their preconceived notions out of mind.

Do states like Vermont and Maine get talked about like this (in regards to black people traveling there)?
It's not the states themselves that are racist, but folks living within them. There are going to be folks in every state and in every country who are racist or ignorant in some way.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:22 AM

369 posts, read 1,302,121 times
Quote:
I don't get this.

Totally off topic, but it seems that the the less diverse a state is, the less racist the people there are. Vermont, Maine, Idaho, etc. are probably the least racist states in America. Mississippi, Alabama, and South Carolina probably have the most racial tension out of all the states.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:04 AM

177 posts, read 405,421 times
Quote:
I don't get this.

The population is low in Maine & Vermont for black people but, not as low as Montana & The Dakotas.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:59 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~CountryBoy~ View Post
It's not the states themselves that are racist, but folks living within them. There are going to be folks in every state and in every country who are racist or ignorant in some way.
Exactly. Which is why nobody should be "scared" of Montana or anywhere else (for that reason).

The most prejudice/racism I've ever personally seen was in my home state of California, and we don't ever hear about people avoiding it for that reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
Totally off topic, but it seems that the the less diverse a state is, the less racist the people there are. Vermont, Maine, Idaho, etc. are probably the least racist states in America.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciDiva View Post
The population is low in Maine & Vermont for black people but, not as low as Montana & The Dakotas.
Montana is the lowest. Maine & Vermont are lower than both Dakotas.

List of U.S. states by African-American population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.