Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 07:51 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I'm afraid of the desert states. Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah.

Not because of people so much as the sheer nothingness between them. It's beautiful, but far from my forest element.
I've lived my entire life in New Jersey. I'm not "scared" of any other states, but your post reminded me of when I visited Dallas, TX, years ago. Some guys we met took us to a rodeo/street fair about 50 miles outside of Dallas. There was this long stretch of nothingness when there wasn't anything around but flat, flat land, as far as you could see. No buildings, maybe a tree here or there. It was a creepy feeling, like the opposite of claustrophobia. Nowhere to hide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife.glee View Post
I've met people who were scared of New York because they thought it was some crime-infested urban jungle all over the place with obnoxious people who don't know anything about nature and will automatically stab you if you just look at them.
I've also heard that people are scared of Pennsylvania because they believed it was too rural.
I know people scared of West Virginia just because of the movie Deliverance (which I haven't even seen).
I have a friend who grew up in New York City, in a pretty rough neighborhood. She's so nervous when she goes somewhere rural, like axe murderers are lurking behind every tree.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
No states I'm currently "scared" of, but when I was younger, I used to have the impression that all of Northern New Jersey was a high density urban jungle with the crime to boot. Deep down, I knew (and still know) that is not an accurate perception, but that didn't stop me from worrying a bit when I had a flat at 11:30 at night in Hackensack when I was 18.
New Jersey, of course, is the most high density state in the U.S., but that's no reason to think their crime is out of control.
LOL, a lot of people think that, probably because the worst part of north Jersey is what you see driving up the Turnpike. Jersey's really quite pretty--lots of big trees.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:34 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've lived my entire life in New Jersey. I'm not "scared" of any other states, but your post reminded me of when I visited Dallas, TX, years ago. Some guys we met took us to a rodeo/street fair about 50 miles outside of Dallas. There was this long stretch of nothingness when there wasn't anything around but flat, flat land, as far as you could see. No buildings, maybe a tree here or there. It was a creepy feeling, like the opposite of claustrophobia. Nowhere to hide.

If you think areas around Dallas are flat and treeless, you don't want to come the the Texas High Plains. Right now here north of Lubbock I am looking out my bedroom window and can see Lubbock's city lights some forty miles away.

Funny that you describe the feeling as being the reverse of claustrophobia because that's exactly the way I described it forty years ago when I first saw the High Plains. For years, when I first came out from the Pineywoods of east Texas and would be driving at night, I could cleary see trees overhanging the road. Then a farm light four or five miles off the highway would bring me back to the reality that there was nothing out there but air and space.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:41 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
If you think areas around Dallas are flat and treeless, you don't want to come the the Texas High Plains. Right now here north of Lubbock I am looking out my bedroom window and can see Lubbock's city lights some forty miles away.

Funny that you describe the feeling as being the reverse of claustrophobia because that's exactly the way I described it forty years ago when I first saw the High Plains. For years, when I first came out from the Pineywoods of east Texas and would be driving at night, I could cleary see trees overhanging the road. Then a farm light four or five miles off the highway would bring me back to the reality that there was nothing out there but air and space.
That's what I love about the plains. The fact that you can see for miiilllleeeesss with no interruption. Last summer as I was driving west on I-20, not far from Pecos, I was in awe that I could see the upcoming mountains from 80 miles away. Just beautiful.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:42 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, a lot of people think that, probably because the worst part of north Jersey is what you see driving up the Turnpike. Jersey's really quite pretty--lots of big trees.
Yup, I was amazed when I drove by the Delaware River Gap on the NJ/PA line. The only thing that reminded me that I was in Jersey was the horrible condition of the road! lol

Old 06-15-2011, 09:47 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Quote:
That's what I love about the plains. The fact that you can see for miiilllleeeesss with no interruption. Last summer as I was driving west on I-20, not far from Pecos, I was in awe that I could see the upcoming mountains from 80 miles away. Just beautiful.

I had an electronic compass in my truck that was designed to shut itself off if there was no directional change for 15 minutes. Needless to say, out here that didn't work too well.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Yup, I was amazed when I drove by the Delaware River Gap on the NJ/PA line. The only thing that reminded me that I was in Jersey was the horrible condition of the road! lol
LOL, too true, sadly.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:41 PM

537 posts, read 818,920 times
Arizona and Texas frighten me because of the far-right politics.

New Jersey and Massachusetts frighten me because of the drivers.

Florida frightens me because of the humidity and giant mosquitoes.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:45 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,047 times
The only state I am afraid of is Calif - all the liberal whackos, earthquakes, and I believe someday it's going to drop in the ocean. I am leery of northeast/new england states the people there seem odd to me (southerner) and also very liberal which is a bit scary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.