Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 10:20 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times

Advertisements

Not Albuquerque.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 11:09 PM

896 posts, read 1,168,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
I guess I'm used to greasy food as my mum happens to be from Texas. Still I prefer it over LA's.
LOL you probably think panda express is authentic Chinese right? Well it is just your opinion personally I thought Seattle Chinese food was terrible compared to LA and SF but still better than eastcoast Chinese

Old 06-26-2012, 12:37 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,051,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
LOL you probably think panda express is authentic Chinese right? Well it is just your opinion personally I thought Seattle Chinese food was terrible compared to LA and SF but still better than eastcoast Chinese
Why because I live in Orange County? Jeez

Old 06-26-2012, 11:57 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
Han Dynasty - Philly.com

glad it is actually better on the East Coast on the whole

Much easier to find good Asian (not just chinese) these days

Old 06-26-2012, 12:25 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
In general Chinese food is slowly getting better around the country as Chinese immigration continues to add to the population.

The thing is though that really good, fairly authenitic regional Chinese food in a lot of areas is a relatively new development. From 1882 until 1965 Chinese immigration was effectively banned(although a 1943 repeal allowed a very limited amount of Chinese immigrants) in the country. So the Chinese population living in the US before the 1960s was effectively cut off from their homeland with little new arrivals for over 80 years. Which is why Chinese food in much of the country--especially old school Chinese places in a lot of older Chinatowns or tends to be pretty low quality or decent Chinese-American fare. There wasn't much of a reason to cook authentic recipes when Americans were happy to eat the Americanized recipes. It wasn't until you starting getting large influxes of Hong Kong Chinese in the 1960s to places like San Francisco and Vancouver BC and then LA and New York and other cities ---and later immigrants from Mainland China in the 80s--that you got really good Chinese food approaching what you'd find in Hong Kong or Taiwan or the rest of China or Southeast Asia.

I mean in Portland, Oregon it's only been recently that you can get really good dim sum and Chinese seafood, but now we've got about five really good Chinese restaurants over in the new Chinatown area on the east side--with mostly Chinese clientales. You go to the rest of town and a lot of it is neon orange sweet and sour chicken dishes with chop suey, but it's getting better.. And I've heard from people in New York that growing up they'd go to the places in Chinatown and General's Tso Chicken--while today they can go to Flushing and get ten different regional varieties including Muslim Chinese fare or Northern Chinese or Hunan. Same thing in the SF Bay Area where you can find good Shanghai-style or other regional cuisines in addition to the Hong Kong-style places or Sichuan(and the San Gabriel Valley is the same way I've heard).

Old 06-26-2012, 06:43 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,945,938 times
This is a battle between New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles.

But, I think LA is more spread out in terms of it's Asian cuisine so I'd say it's third. New York is second, and the best Chinese food in America is in San Francisco.

But that's just me...

Old 06-26-2012, 07:54 PM

896 posts, read 1,168,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
This is a battle between New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles.

But, I think LA is more spread out in terms of it's Asian cuisine so I'd say it's third. New York is second, and the best Chinese food in America is in San Francisco.

But that's just me...
Lol you're kidding right? LA/ San gabriel valley is first with SF coming in at a close second, then Vancouver, then Seattle, big gap then NYC, I really thought NYC Chinese was horrible but its the best on the eastcoast which isn't much to brag about

Old 06-27-2012, 10:36 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,849,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Lol you're kidding right? LA/ San gabriel valley is first with SF coming in at a close second, then Vancouver, then Seattle, big gap then NYC, I really thought NYC Chinese was horrible but its the best on the eastcoast which isn't much to brag about
I know of a few spots in the greater Boston area that are actually quite good.

I can certainly name places in SF and LA that have forgettable or crappy Chinese food, and places in Boston that have amazing Chinese food... the difference of course is the quantity of quality spots versus crap spots. LA and SF crush NYC, Seattle, etc in this regard, in a similar way that Seattle crushes LA in Seafood, and Boston/NYC crush LA when it comes to Italian.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Han Dynasty - Philly.com

glad it is actually getting better on the East Coast on the whole

Much easier to find good Asian (not just chinese) these days
should have read getting, just to clarify so many better choices and much easier to find on the whole, love the diversity and quality of asian which in most cases was lacking until more recently

Old 06-28-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I know of a few spots in the greater Boston area that are actually quite good.

I can certainly name places in SF and LA that have forgettable or crappy Chinese food, and places in Boston that have amazing Chinese food... the difference of course is the quantity of quality spots versus crap spots. LA and SF crush NYC, Seattle, etc in this regard, in a similar way that Seattle crushes LA in Seafood, and Boston/NYC crush LA when it comes to Italian.

this makes a lot of sense to me. Though I find better food options (more diversity too) in most places in the US. The lack of things is becoming lessor and lessor over time in most large cities. A good thing on the food front IMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.