Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 02:29 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I know of a few spots in the greater Boston area that are actually quite good.
Yeah they were pretty good. I did notice they use more salt than what I normally expect but it wasnt bad. They passed my sniff test. Some other notable places with excellent Chinese food are LA, Oakland, Seattle, Houston, and Dallas. I need to explore Chicago and Phily more one day before I can talk about them here.

If they can tell you the difference between Lamein, Lomein, Saangmein, Thick noodles, Misua, Yakamein, Dao Xiaomein, or Cats ear then they're legit. If they cant tell you the difference between those noodles then you're being scammed out of a real Chinese meal. If they don't even know anything about the noodles then 100% they don't know anything else being made in the kitchen. That's the distinguishing thing about Chinese food vs Chinese American food.

Last edited by scrantiX; 08-31-2012 at 02:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 05:21 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,928 times
IMO LA and SF are tied for #1, big drop Seattle, than NYC

Old 08-31-2012, 05:45 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
I am not buying that NYC gets crushed on Chinese, or even asian food. Did you folks who say LA and SF *crush* NYC make it out of Manhattan? I must have seen over a dozen just kosher chinese food, selling chrysanthium and winter melon tea on the streets, quite a bit of walkup street food, etc. etc. in Flushing.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:48 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
The answer is any city with a Chinatown.

Los Angeles

San Francisco

Seattle

Chicago

Houston

Philladelphia

New York City

Old 08-31-2012, 06:15 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I am not buying that NYC gets crushed on Chinese, or even asian food. Did you folks who say LA and SF *crush* NYC make it out of Manhattan? I must have seen over a dozen just kosher chinese food, selling chrysanthium and winter melon tea on the streets, quite a bit of walkup street food, etc. etc. in Flushing.
NYC generally finishes third among U.S. cities for Chinese food, behind L.A. and San Francisco. At least the consensus amongst the food nuts on Chowhound and Yelp, and I trust their opinions more than most. They eat everywhere. That's including Flushing. As far as Japanese, Korean, Thai, and Vietnamese offerings--L.A. would almost certainly win out in every one. Very little doubt there.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
NYC's big and that's the saving grace for that city. It's Chinese food believe it or not could be some of the best or some of the worst you'll ever have. The Manhattan chinatown, if we're talking about the same one I've been to off Canal and Mott where the Little Italy is, is ok. It's nothing special to write about or recommend. Ironically some of the better restaurants are in Queens and even midtown has some nicer ones.

Don't know what it is with NYC attracting more northern Chinese but they bring with them their bad cooking habits too IMO. At best NYC can make an argument for third and nothing higher than that. Frankly I just don't even see that, like someone else said LA and San Francisco would be tied for first, I personally say Honolulu second just because quality there > NYC, and then you have NYC barely beating out Seattle thanks to its size. I would put them in the same tier. After that then you got your Houston, Boston, and Dallas tier before descending down to the more good to above average tiers where Phily and Chicago would be the leaders there.

The issue I have with Boston is that its serving sizes are small across the board. It doesn't matter what restaurant you go to, seems like everywhere in Boston is on the same page with that. The quality is great but how could you pay $15-20 for a meal that only fills you up half way?

Last edited by scrantiX; 08-31-2012 at 09:27 PM..

Old 09-01-2012, 10:22 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
I wasn't arguing that NYC is ahead of SF or LA, just saying they definitely don't CRUSH NYC either. If you were saying they crush Boston or DC then I would agree with you.
I am also only talking about Chinese... (Shangdong/Sichuan/Hunan/Guangdong/etc)
I am a regular chowhound/yelp poster also as well as lthforum

Old 09-01-2012, 10:44 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,855,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
After that then you got your Houston, Boston, and Dallas tier before descending down to the more good to above average tiers where Phily and Chicago would be the leaders there.
It's interesting to me that you have Dallas and Boston in a tier above Philly (I've heard poor things about Chicago's Chinese food, but I wouldn't know).

Old 09-01-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
It's interesting to me that you have Dallas and Boston in a tier above Philly (I've heard poor things about Chicago's Chinese food, but I wouldn't know).
Well for one I'm Chinese, I would be one of few on this forum that can actually look at the menu, taste the food, and make an informed opinion about it because I can automatically tell what food is real Chinese and whats American Chinese cuisine. As for Chinese food, Dallas and Boston are some of the few cities that I would definitely put above Phily, no doubt on it. Phily's food quality is good but it also leaves for improvement. I liked it though. Boston's only weakness on quality is the serving sizes but that's not just Chinese food, its all good in that city it seems. Dallas's weakness is not the food at all but the ambiance of the environment, great Chinese restaurants, but in a strip center.

I haven't spent much time eating in Chicago, definitely haven't been to their chinatown, but the places I did try were alright. It would pass off as midgrade food in the bay.

Last edited by scrantiX; 09-01-2012 at 11:17 AM..

Old 09-01-2012, 10:51 AM

725 posts, read 1,211,252 times
Philadelphia has one of the biggest china towns outside china(as well as NYC LA and SF). There's like 500 Chinese stores in Philadelphia too. One on every two blocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.