Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 08:11 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
I've been to all the major hot spots in North America and have had Chinese food there, recommended by the locals, and I think for sheer diversity and breadth of offerings, especially for Guangzhou/Cantonese cuisine Metro Vancouver (mostly Richmond, Burnaby) can't be beat in North America. Maybe for real Michelin-star calibre dining, NY or LA could outdo it, but for the different regional varieties and quality top to bottom in the price chain I haven't seen better in the continent.

Of course, San Fran and LA are both very good not only for Chinese but all varieties of Asian cuisine and I rate it better than Toronto or New York overall.
Many food professionals agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 02:30 AM

662 posts, read 1,281,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
I've been to all the major hot spots in North America and have had Chinese food there, recommended by the locals, and I think for sheer diversity and breadth of offerings, especially for Guangzhou/Cantonese cuisine Metro Vancouver (mostly Richmond, Burnaby) can't be beat in North America. Maybe for real Michelin-star calibre dining, NY or LA could outdo it, but for the different regional varieties and quality top to bottom in the price chain I haven't seen better in the continent.

Of course, San Fran and LA are both very good not only for Chinese but all varieties of Asian cuisine and I rate it better than Toronto or New York overall.
Vancouver has traditionally been the better “Chinatown” than San Francisco, NYC, and LA. But I think by 1999, LA surpassed NYC and SF. And I think by 2010 LA became the best in North America. For two reasons. One, dim sum and Cantonese food in LA finally matched up to Vancouver. What LA has over Vancouver is better offerings in regional mainland cuisine from the low to midrange. The Michelin-caliber Chinese dining are a recent phenomenon in LA. It’s never been known for that like NYC. I think Hong Kong/Shanghai style cuisines can still be argued as better in Vancouver. But LA’s stronger edge with other mainland regionality, and mainly Taiwanese and Sichuan, its strength in dumpling houses and then finally catching up quickly with Hong Kong/Shanghai 10 years ago makes LA the one to reckon with. Two: You have the heavyweight San Gabriel Valley itself, which is arguably more Chinese-diverse than Richmond, but now you also have smaller emerging areas like Irvine (which can probably be at least a tier 3 city by itself).

I will say for NYC, they might have better Fujianese than any other city and can hold its own with Sichuan, but is lackluster in every other regionality. The general quality of standard is lower in Flushing compared to San Gabriel or Richmond. San Francisco is still good, but seems stagnant. Only recently Chinese trends in dining have caught up in SF. I think south bay offers better regionality but not at the competitive level of LA.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:30 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
Vancouver has traditionally been the better “Chinatown” than San Francisco, NYC, and LA. But I think by 1999, LA surpassed NYC and SF. And I think by 2010 LA became the best in North America. For two reasons. One, dim sum and Cantonese food in LA finally matched up to Vancouver. What LA has over Vancouver is better offerings in regional mainland cuisine from the low to midrange. The Michelin-caliber Chinese dining are a recent phenomenon in LA. It’s never been known for that like NYC. I think Hong Kong/Shanghai style cuisines can still be argued as better in Vancouver. But LA’s stronger edge with other mainland regionality, and mainly Taiwanese and Sichuan, its strength in dumpling houses and then finally catching up quickly with Hong Kong/Shanghai 10 years ago makes LA the one to reckon with. Two: You have the heavyweight San Gabriel Valley itself, which is arguably more Chinese-diverse than Richmond, but now you also have smaller emerging areas like Irvine (which can probably be at least a tier 3 city by itself).

I will say for NYC, they might have better Fujianese than any other city and can hold its own with Sichuan, but is lackluster in every other regionality. The general quality of standard is lower in Flushing compared to San Gabriel or Richmond. San Francisco is still good, but seems stagnant. Only recently Chinese trends in dining have caught up in SF. I think south bay offers better regionality but not at the competitive level of LA.
Great insight. Surprised to hear that about Irvine.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:50 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
For American people or Chinese people?

Chinese people are more about finding good, cheap places, with emphasis on cheap.

So as long as there are a bunch of good, cheap places and markets, it's fine.

NY and Toronto have the closest vibe to Asian cities.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:55 AM

142 posts, read 93,320 times
Don't forget Lima, Peru!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.