Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:09 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It is valid because that's what people voted. The questions were very simple, and people answered. Just because respondents to a survey don't agree with you doesn't mean they don't "know their stuff".
Never said the list was false; however, there is a good chance that these people indeed do not really know their stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 08:12 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
This list is about public perception, not about reality, as usually those two things are pretty far apart.

However, a list based on perception cannot be right or wrong, it just sort of 'is'.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:13 AM

443 posts, read 1,566,943 times
I was wondering about the deletion of Houston and Miami myself. If you're going to include Atlanta, no reason Houston and Miami shouldn't be in there. And yea, Atlanta being one behind Chicago makes no sense, they're not even in the same league.

However, much of it does seem to fall into place, I think the top three U.S. city placement makes some sense. Sydney is a great and beautiful place, but as far as it being more of a "world" city, I don't see how that merits number one. I mean, over London, Paris, Rome, and New York City, gimme a break.

I do agree with the Boston over Chicago, Boston has alot more sense of place and sophistication in my opinion. Seattle, not a bad place but not over Chicago in terms of world city but thats just my two cents.

Of course, I've seen other world city lists that have this same list of cities in totally different order so it all depends on the criteria and whose doing the research I suppose.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:15 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,493,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Never said the list was false;
Let me quote you:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409
Could this be any more full of b.s. Are you kidding me? How valid is a list that it doesn't even include Miami or Houston?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409
however, there is a good chance that these people indeed do not really know their stuff.
Your logic leaves me dazzled. What part of the word "perception" do you not get? This survey is not about what's reality, it's about what people perceive. So there is no "stuff' to know. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that if you ranked your perception of those cities on the list, the ~15K respondents might say that you don't know your "stuff".

Old 08-07-2007, 08:15 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Dang, this poll is whacked out!

Old 08-07-2007, 08:19 AM

People, please read the actual report first -- what they measured and how they measured it, before spouting off how these rankings are "wrong".

Old 08-07-2007, 08:21 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
People, please read the actual report first -- what they measured and how they measured it, before spouting off how these rankings are "wrong".
I did read it. Still doesnt mean that its nonsense in my eyes.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post
Sydney is a great and beautiful place, but as far as it being more of a "world" city, I don't see how that merits number one. I mean, over London, Paris, Rome, and New York City, gimme a break.
I had the same thought. But the report does address this, and it makes sense. Also, those other world-class cities take a beating in several areas, e.g. affordability, green spaces, weather, etc.

Another reason could be that those other cities are already at the top of the recognition game -- they don't really have to market themselves or push their image out to the world -- so they have no place to go but down when places like Sydney have aggressively marketed themselves.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:23 AM

699 posts, read 2,236,555 times
Quote:
Exactly

Please know that this is about city-BRANDING.

Brand recognition is created by a mixture of both experience and marketing.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:28 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,369 times
Quote:
Let me quote you:

Your logic leaves me dazzled. What part of the word "perception" do you not get? This survey is not about what's reality, it's about what people perceive. So there is no "stuff' to know. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that if you ranked your perception of those cities on the list, the ~15K respondents might say that you don't know your "stuff".
Yeah, and those 15K would be wrong. No way around it. But I apologize, I do realize where I came off as saying that the list was false. Didn't mean to, though. I stand by my opinion, though, that those interviewed don't know crap worth a damn. In the nicest way, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.