Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:28 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,491,349 times

Advertisements

tenken, thanks for posting this interesting report. It seems that for many (most?) people on this forum, if others don't think exactly like them, the others must be wrong, full of BS, not know their stuff, or be nonsensical.

I don't necessarily have the same perception of the cities as on the list (e.g. I'd place Chicago higher), but I accept the survey for what it measures -- perception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 08:29 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
Exactly

Please know that this is about city-BRANDING.

Brand recognition is created by a mixture of both experience and marketing.
Lol, not in New Orleans case. Not unless you consider Hurricane Katrina their publicist.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:30 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post

I do agree with the Boston over Chicago, Boston has alot more sense of place and sophistication in my opinion.
Of course, I would think anyone who knows anything about anything would agree that the perception of Boston as a city (given its history, place in popular culture, the unique regional identity of New England, etc.) is probably stronger and more set than most any place in the US.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Yeah, and those 15K would be wrong.
Priceless! That is absolutely priceless! I can't wait to see what other insightful gems you come up with.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:34 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Priceless! That is absolutely priceless! I can't wait to see what other insightful gems you come up with.
Oh, hang around long enough and you will see.

Seriously, don't think I'm some vain idiot who can't accept being wrong. But in this case, I'm not.

If I made my list of cities right now, I doubt that even you would be able to disagree with me.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Of course, I would think anyone who knows anything about anything would agree that the perception of Boston as a city (given its history, place in popular culture, the unique regional identity of New England, etc.) is probably stronger and more set than most any place in the US.
But remember, perceived historical significance is only one out of six areas measured by the survey. So even if Boston did well in that area, it may have "flunked" others. Although, I'd have to say, the survey does seem to be more forward-looking -- it measures perceived historical contribution for the last 30 years, and one of the six areas of measurement is perceived future potential.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Seriously, don't think I'm some vain idiot who can't accept being wrong. But in this case, I'm not.
Ding, ding! We have yet another winner here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409
If I made my list right now of cities, I doubt that even you would be able to disagree with me.
You're on a roll today, aren't you?

Old 08-07-2007, 09:55 AM

699 posts, read 2,235,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I don't necessarily have the same perception of the cities as on the list (e.g. I'd place Chicago higher), but I accept the survey for what it measures -- perception.
I agree, I would put Chicago higher as well.

I kind of understand though, because in the international community, you can view pictures of San Francisco, Los Angeles, D.C. and New York, and immediately recognize it as that city. Even though Chicago has a well-known skyline, it is harder to immediately recognize if you never been there.

I do think that if Chicago wishes to burnish it's citybrand, it should undertake an aggressive marketing approach much like Sydney. And Chicago is in the bid for the 2016 Summer Olympics which could greatly improve it's perception.

They are doing the survey yearly it seems, and the rankings have changed.

London was #1 in 2005, with Los Angeles higher and closer to New York, with Washington D.C. lower.

Last edited by tenken627; 08-07-2007 at 10:12 AM..

Old 08-07-2007, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Lol, not in New Orleans case. Not unless you consider Hurricane Katrina their publicist.
Unfortunate but true. The study said New Orleans ranked low in many areas, but had high rankings for the questions under "The People".

Guess the international community still has an overwhelming feel for "Southern Hospitality".

New York, on the other hand, received the worst ranking hands down for how well a newcomer would be received.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post
I was wondering about the deletion of Houston and Miami myself. If you're going to include Atlanta, no reason Houston and Miami shouldn't be in there.
Houston and Miami were not listed, but I do think that if they were listed, they would be listed around where Dallas is ranked or a little above.

American cities tend to be viewed favorably throughout the world, just because America is that widely known.

I do believe that if they do a survey next year, Houston and Miami are likely to be included.

The countries partaking in the survey all seem to be part of the highly-developed or developing sections of the world.

This would include Europe, the United States, the Asian countries of Japan, China, India, Korea, Malaysia (Singapore), Australia and New Zealand, and the two Latin American countries of Mexico and Brazil.

Last edited by tenken627; 08-07-2007 at 10:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.