Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:52 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times

Advertisements

Ha! It finally dawned on me after a week of seeing this thread that it's not about sports tailgating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 10:15 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I don't think any one state is worse than another. Tailgating is more prevalent in cities, for sure, due to more people on the roads.

A good reason tailgating happens is because (9 times out of 10) the tailgater is behind a slower car in the left lane (which is considered a PASSING lane).

Otherwise, those tailgating in the right lane may be doing so because they have no room to get in the left lane for the reason stated above.

If this isn't the case, THEN you have your tailgating idiot.

Personally, I have found the most problems with undereducated drivers in the south. The best drivers, IMO, are found in the north (particularly Canada). I know this is opposite of what I first said above, but this is what I have experienced personally. When it comes down to it, I know the problem is everywhere.

I really think there needs to be laws that are ENFORCED concerning driving in the left lane. If you are going slower than the driver behind you, move over. Better yet, just pass and move back over to the right. This would save A LOT of anger and frustration.

American cops would rather play with their radar/laser guns that actually enforce all of the other traffic laws. Ohio cops have a reputation for writing speeding tickets, but you can pretty much ignore every other traffic law in Ohio and not worry about getting ticketed.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:26 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Ha! It finally dawned on me after a week of seeing this thread that it's not about sports tailgating.
Lol someone did say "Lambeau Field" earlier. I'd have to agree

Old 03-05-2012, 10:42 AM

860 posts, read 1,356,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
American cops would rather play with their radar/laser guns that actually enforce all of the other traffic laws. Ohio cops have a reputation for writing speeding tickets, but you can pretty much ignore every other traffic law in Ohio and not worry about getting ticketed.
Sooooo true. Tailgaiting, runnning red lights, dangerous lane changes, driving 10 miles BELOW the speed limit!!! Yep you can get away with that. I-75 is a nightmare, and the cops sitting on the side of the road make it worse. There's been many cases where cops have caused accidents by pulling people over.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:16 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation CJ4 View Post
Just created an account expressly for this thread alone!

California Vehicle Code Section 21703: Following Too Close

It blows my mind that California, did not make the first page and the first post. We easily have the highest ratio of moronic brain dead tailgating pathogens in the entire union of States. They are like leaches here in the state of California. A virus that good drivers can't get rid of.

Tailgating is unlawful in nearly all 50 states. Tailgating is dangerous in all 50 states and around the world. Tailgating is only practiced by those who have an IQ lower than a marsupial's ass above the ground measured in millimeters. It takes no more than an IQ of 41 (a complete Imbecile) to even think about using your vehicle in such a brain dead manner as to endanger the lives of others on the road that you are supposed to be sharing.

Nobody as talked about the vehicle separation factor that makes tailgating a violation of law in many states: Retain 1 vehicle length distance BEHIND for every 10 mph that YOUR vehicle is traveling.

That's a 10:1 Ratio and if you do the math (which brain dead moronic tailgaters have never done), that ratio will place your vehicle approximately 3 seconds behind the vehicle directly in front of you AND prevent you from being a tailgating idiot of epic proportions. Again, no one with half a brain tailgates and ONLY idiot moron parasites even contemplate tailgating as a viable option when operating a motor vehicle, or while "traveling" in a motor vehicle (for those who are Free Spirited Sovereigns).

STOP TAILGATING! You threaten my life when you do and in my state, Castle Doctrine DOES extend to my vehicle. Ergo, if I feel threatened by you, I can defend myself up to the level of the threat. And, since your vehicle can be used as a "lethal weapon" against me, I can response in pure self-defense using lethal force.

That's where I am today. I'm sick of being threatened with great bodily injury and/or death by people who willfully and intentionally tailgate.

WARNING! STOP TAILGATING. It is dangerous for EVERYONE that YOU tailgaters needless involve INCLUDING being dangerous for YOU.
If you want someone to stop tailgating you just wash your windshield repeatedly. You’ll see them have to clean theirs and pass you while probably giving you “the finger”. It works every time, except in the rain, lol.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:21 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Texas

Old 02-12-2019, 05:23 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
That's because if your not doing atleast 5 above the limit your going too slow. The generally accepted region is between 5-10 above the limit.

State cops won't pull you over (unless end of month) if your doing less than 15 over through experience. I thank rendell for that (not sarcasm). "I've told my troopers that I don't want them exceeding 80 unless they need to pass or unless there's some real exigent circumstance."
If I'm in the slow lane doing over the speed limit, don't tailgate me. If I'm in the left lane and you need to pass, then yes I'm in the wrong.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:29 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
I gotta say NY is bad with this

Old 02-12-2019, 05:47 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
Massachusetts seemed particularly bad for this and Connecticut also was pretty bad for tailgating.

It was rare to see it in Wisconsin, Minnesota, or Kentucky (outside of Louisville).

More common in some parts of the state than in others in PA, NY, MI.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:52 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Massachusetts seemed particularly bad
That is why they are called “Mass holes”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.