Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 03:19 AM

52 posts, read 461,485 times

Advertisements

What's your vote for the state with the worst tailgating idiots? My husband was in the military, and we moved around every five years. We've lived in the northeast, the southeast, Montana and Colorado and the pacific northwest. Sadly, I have to say that Anchorage, AK has the biggest tailgating problem of any of the places we've lived. This particularly strikes me as odd because before I moved here, friends who currently live in AK and have done so for decades, told me that one of the reasons they loved living here was because "the people are so laid back, life is less stressful, there's a slower pace", blah, blah, blah. If their driving is any indication, people in Anchorage are the most stressed-out, over-scheduled, impatient, immature and testosterone-poisoned people (and yes, I'm talking about the women, too, which is scary, but hey, this is Alaska) I've ever seen commandeering ginormous SUV's around the streets of any American city. Even if you adopt the "if you can't beat'm, join'm" theory and drive pedal-to-the-metal for every trip to the grocery store, post office and so on, and go at least 10 mph OVER the speed limit, whipping around corners on two wheels and developing a first class ulcer every time you get in your car, they are still glued to your tail. It's like a competitive sport. The pickups may be shinier and newer, but the gun racks and Peterbilt caps are there subliminally. HELP US!!! We will be forced to buy a Hummer--not the stupid yuppie version, but the real used Army-surplus variety--just to survive. My husband has suggested we buy a dump truck or better yet, a cement mixer, as our "family vehicle". Size DOES matter here. So what is it like where you are...can the drivers in your state possibly be more obnoxious tailgaters than this crew in Anchorage, AK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 09:12 AM

6 posts, read 25,492 times
I live in Pennsylvania and we have alot of tailgaters here. But some of the worst I've encountered have been in Massachuetts. No matter where you go, someone will be on your tail. In Pennsylvania, it seemed like maybe they were tailgating and not realizing it. In Mass., it seemed like they went out there way to be jerks.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:21 PM

46 posts, read 158,684 times
that would be my pick too

massachsetts has to have the worst drivers in the US closely followed by New York city then CT then RI

it seemed like they went out there way to be jerks.
Today 03:19 AM

YOU'RE NOT KIDDING I thought the same.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:47 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by generic brand View Post
I live in Pennsylvania and we have alot of tailgaters here. But some of the worst I've encountered have been in Massachuetts. No matter where you go, someone will be on your tail. In Pennsylvania, it seemed like maybe they were tailgating and not realizing it. In Mass., it seemed like they went out there way to be jerks.
That's because if your not doing atleast 5 above the limit your going too slow. The generally accepted region is between 5-10 above the limit.

State cops won't pull you over (unless end of month) if your doing less than 15 over through experience. I thank rendell for that (not sarcasm). "I've told my troopers that I don't want them exceeding 80 unless they need to pass or unless there's some real exigent circumstance."

Old 08-07-2007, 01:02 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Oh, I thought this was a thread about pregame festivities ...

Old 08-07-2007, 01:03 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,390,380 times
Oh god....Missouri I think is full of tailgators. In St. Louis they ride right up on your ass just to essentially implicitly say to you "Get out of my way." The Midwest is full of tailgaters...generally though I've found that tailgating occurs only in the city. In the country apparently most people have enough common sense not to drive slow in the fast lane and generally are more courteous. I won't lie...when I am in a hurry I can be a tailgater....tailgating I think generally happens when you want to go fast and somebody slow is driving in front of you. So I guess maybe I recant Missouri being a terrible tailgating state. I tailgate from time to time, but by no means am I a "tailgating idiot." A tailgating idiot to me means somebody who does it all the time regardless of the reason and who doesn't understand its risks. I understand the risks fully and make sure that if the person in front of me is coming up on someone to give myself enough time allowable fall back behind them to avoid an accident. Bottomline...I try as hard as possible not to do it...if somebody is in front of me and going slow I will change lanes as soon as possible to get around them. Tailgating idiots would just stay behind the person regardless of the reason. Tailgating to me while I probably should completely cross that off my list is a last resort which I rarely EVER use.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:25 PM

799 posts, read 2,168,462 times
Default Smashing Mini cooper

I was coming hiome and some guy was in a flat red Grand Am, tailgating me for self important reasons I'm sure, then he got in the turn lane and crunch, he hit the back of a Mini Cooper full force. Maybe he thought he could drive over the Mini Cooper.
Tailgating is a form of selfishness, because it implies the tailgater is more important than the person who is in front of them.
I especially love the ones who tailgate you, when you have cars in front of you who are going slow.
I keep a pretty safe distance then, in case I have slow down or stop suddenly, because I have a brainless idiot on my tail.. Why don't the police pull them over for failing to maintain a safe distance?

Old 08-09-2007, 12:11 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,978,916 times
FL, south FL.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:42 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,774 times
I have lived all over the country (currently Boston). Boston is bad but normally within the city people can't drive as fast because of traffic.

The worst I have experienced is the outer desert areas of Southern California. Those highways are crowded enough for people to feel they have to get right on your rear but the traffic isn't so bad to prevent them from going like 90. It is terrible.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:45 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven and Bear View Post
friends who currently live in AK and have done so for decades, told me that one of the reasons they loved living here was because "the people are so laid back, life is less stressful, there's a slower pace", blah, blah, blah. If their driving is any indication, people in Anchorage are the most stressed-out, over-scheduled, impatient, immature and testosterone-poisoned people...can the drivers in your state possibly be more obnoxious tailgaters than this crew in Anchorage, AK?
I've heard that alot of people in AK moved there to 'escape' NY and now apparently and ironically it's becoming like it. Another reason would probably be that AK is so big that you have to speed to cover long distances there,although alot of people there have planes;
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.