Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Atlanta replacing Los Angles as the cultural center of the USA?
Yes 25 11.96%
No, Los Angeles has a stronghold. 184 88.04%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 11:11 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
Hi all.
As of now it seems as though LA is the accepted "cultural capitol" of the U.S.A, at least on this forum. Yes I am aware that similar post have been made they were much more specific (as in Atlanta becoming "Hollywood"). I'm asking in a broader sense. Not just the movie business, but in music, etc. What I've noticed is that a lot of MTV productions are out of Georgia. And a lot of famous pop-culture musicians originate out of Atlanta, as well. I'll admit that I haven't been to either city, but would like to see other outsiders' perspectives as well (hence I didn't post this in the Georgia forum.). So what do you think? Is Atlanta replacing Los Angles as the country's "cultural center"?
Was that center or sewer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 02:18 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Honestly I am confused by your posts often as well; maybe its just something in the water around these parts or maybe not

You answered this after I stated a list of things that I specifically said represents culturally the Southeast in which Atlanta is mostly undisputed as the leader in the Southeast vs Miami.I even said what things represent the Southeast that Miami is known for.Especially when those same people try and exclude Miami out of the South as if its not the South

Quote:
Seriously are we somehow suggesting that Chicfilet and the Waffle house are somehow defining american culture? Not to mention that these somehow embody a particular city.

If anything I associate the Waffle House with Highway exits in the south and Chicfilet with being closed sundays. So American culture is now highway exits and no chicken on Sundays?
Looks to me just like the other poster you were more interested in being insulting as if I actually think Chic fil A and these other restaurants are what I hold as culinary excellence.You all were more interested in being snobs than listening to the points in the context that they were made.That's why you continued to go on about Sundays and American culture being reduced to restaurants in which it had nothing to do with the statements I provided.
Do you think a fat greasy Cheesestake from Gino's is a part of Philadelphia culture?Why can't you understand that especially Waffle House like Wal-Mart are the only things open 24hrs in many parts of rural South.Hanging out there is a much a part of the culture of the South as cotillions I grew up having to attend.It may seem hick or whatever but does it matter?
So tell me what was confusing?

Last edited by afonega1; 06-23-2011 at 02:43 AM..

Old 06-23-2011, 06:50 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
By the way:

"drivel", not "dribble"

It seems obvious to me that this thread was destined to become a flame war -- whether intended or unintended.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:03 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You answered this after I stated a list of things that I specifically said represents culturally the Southeast in which Atlanta is mostly undisputed as the leader in the Southeast vs Miami.I even said what things represent the Southeast that Miami is known for.Especially when those same people try and exclude Miami out of the South as if its not the South

Looks to me just like the other poster you were more interested in being insulting as if I actually think Chic fil A and these other restaurants are what I hold as culinary excellence.You all were more interested in being snobs than listening to the points in the context that they were made.That's why you continued to go on about Sundays and American culture being reduced to restaurants in which it had nothing to do with the statements I provided.
Do you think a fat greasy Cheesestake from Gino's is a part of Philadelphia culture?Why can't you understand that especially Waffle House like Wal-Mart are the only things open 24hrs in many parts of rural South.Hanging out there is a much a part of the culture of the South as cotillions I grew up having to attend.It may seem hick or whatever but does it matter?
So tell me what was confusing?

Ok am proud of ya. Personally I feel that folks from the ATL seem to call out companies from the place and make it seem like they somehow embody the city; which to me personally very few things do. Also there many allusions to hip hop and other music genres in this thread and while they do influence they by no means are any form of singular culure, even to the correct demographic. I actually did know that Chicfila is from Atlanta but for peculiar reason; also this particular chain is really not specific to the south at all and I think there is a Waffle House in DE, part of the Philly MSA actually but could be worng it might be an eat and park or cracker barrel or something.

On Ginos more a tourist trap than anything from my perspective; and no to me it does represent what might be called a culture of Philly, maybe an element

On confusing; posts in this thread and others have confused me, so maybe it is just user error

As far as the snob comment; honestly I dont feel that way but then again we are free to interpret what we think

Old 06-23-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
By the way:

"drivel", not "dribble"

It seems obvious to me that this thread was destined to become a flame war -- whether intended or unintended.
I stand corrected.Thanks for letting me know.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Ok am proud of ya. Personally I feel that folks from the ATL seem to call out companies from the place and make it seem like they somehow embody the city; which to me personally very few things do. Also there many allusions to hip hop and other music genres in this thread and while they do influence they by no means are any form of singular culure, even to the correct demographic. I actually did know that Chicfila is from Atlanta but for peculiar reason; also this particular chain is really not specific to the south at all and I think there is a Waffle House in DE, part of the Philly MSA actually but could be worng it might be an eat and park or cracker barrel or something.

On Ginos more a tourist trap than anything from my perspective; and no to me it does represent what might be called a culture of Philly, maybe an element

On confusing; posts in this thread and others have confused me, so maybe it is just user error

As far as the snob comment; honestly I dont feel that way but then again we are free to interpret what we think
I expect differences in interpretations.But sometime people attack without asking if their interpretation is correct.It automatically puts the person questioned on guard.Especially when the interpretation is taken out of context and attributed to said person in a manner not meant to be accepted .

I admit at times often im in a rush but want to make a point but should have proof read.Yet what gives the right for some people on here to act as though they have a right to TRY and publicly admonish not because its not true, but because they cannot come up with another argument to dispel what I said I said was actually true.I can admit when Im wrong but some people rather get personnel.(Im talking in general terms to no one specific,if this doesnt apply to you then disreguard)

Old 06-23-2011, 11:26 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Sorry.
yea, no worries.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:41 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,464,653 times
Atlanta can't replace LA in something that LA is not. LA might be the entertainment capital, but cultural capital belongs to NYC.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:07 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
LIES:I did not DIVERT anything,but nice try.I was asked a question and I answered.You obviously don't understand because you are too slow to get that.Don't blame me for your ineptitude.
Wow.So should i feel belittled because you are so smart you cannot decipher "my dribble"?.Dribble that apparently most of the 99% of people other than you can understand.
You can keep trying all you want but its an excuse because for all your admonishment of my writing or typing capability is still no more than you trying to make yourself appear smarter than what you actually are.

You could not have read the whole thing and come to that conclusion.
You keep going on and on about fast food and how high i measure it because thats what YOU want to act as if I said.You are just attempting to make an argument because your little brain has no substance other than attacking for no reason.Keep on I can go all night.I guess it wll be easier for me since you have such superior writing skills.

You seem to think I must agree with you.You are you that I should care what you think.You are a nobody,get over yourself.
Wow. Let's start with this:
Quote:
You seem to think I must agree with you.You are you that I should care what you think.
Although I have no idea what the 2nd sentence means, I have already said this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I accept that you seem to hold the opinion that fast food carries measurable weight in defining a city's culture (I say "seem to", because you have chosen to spend a lot of time repeating this claim and defending your arguments to anyone who disagrees). I don't hold the same opinion, however.
I honestly don't care whether you agree with me or not, so please no longer feel you must carry this burden. You are free to hold your opinions, as well. I simply disagree with several of them.

Now for this:
Quote:
So should i feel belittled because you are so smart you cannot decipher "my dribble"?.Dribble that apparently most of the 99% of people other than you can understand.
I never referred to any of your claims in this thread as "dribble" (nor as "drivel"). As I've read the thread, I would say quite a number of posters have been equally confused or disagreed with your assertions. Apparently, however, I am mis-informed as your statistical analysis is quite impressive. 99%! Well-done

Next, I am still waiting for my answer to this question:

1. You asked this:
Quote:
When did I say Atlanta was on Par with L.A. as far as cultural outreach?I did NOT.o read before you accuse.
2. In response, I asked this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Fair enough. The question posed by this thread is nonetheless: "Is Atlanta replacing LA as the cultural center of the US?" So what are you saying with your posts?
. . . because you said this:

Quote:
So if the question can at least equal LA in a foreseeable future?I say yes if Atlanta continues to grow at its current rate to become one of the cultural centers.
Finally, I do not respond to personal attacks. I will let your posts and mine speak for themselves. I congratulate you on your latest post, however, since you have reduced your spelling, grammatical and vocabulary errors by about 50%. Again, well-done!

Old 06-23-2011, 02:11 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Atlanta can't replace LA in something that LA is not. LA might be the entertainment capital, but cultural capital belongs to NYC.

Agreed............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.