Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Atlanta replacing Los Angles as the cultural center of the USA?
Yes 25 11.96%
No, Los Angeles has a stronghold. 184 88.04%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 02:49 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,754,893 times

Advertisements

I would say NYC is the cultural capital of the US. Best in fashion, media, performance art, museums, etc. As Henry James said, culture is in the air in NYC.

LA, IMO, will always be the center of the movie industry and I just dont see that changing. The weather and geography in LA is to die for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 10:22 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Actually, I just disagree with most of the content you've posted in this thread. That tends to happen in a forum - some folks agree, some disagree. Seems you disagree with me. I'm OK with that. I don't view that as coming after me in a negative manner.

If you want to keep picking at this rather than add any further substance to the thread, feel free. I've moved on. I'll let my posts in this thread speak for themselves.
ok...whatever you say.Not worth arguing over .I suppose we could both agree on that.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:03 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,294 times
If American 'culture' ever shifts to any of the Southern States, this country is in serious cultural trouble.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:50 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
If American 'culture' ever shifts to any of the Southern States, this country is in serious cultural trouble.
Why?

Old 07-03-2011, 02:08 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Why?
I'd like to know why also, especially since a lot of American culture, especially musically, rests on the foundations of cultural elements that arose and were nurtured in the South (e.g., blues, jazz, etc.).

Old 07-10-2011, 05:34 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Just hating because Pittsburgh is the s@@@hole of America.
All the Falcons fans I talked to who came to Pittsburgh last September would disagree with your assessment.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:45 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Let's see if hillbillies mention Pittsburgh in anything...
You're aware that there's not much difference in elevation between Pittsburgh and Atlanta, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Get back with me when Pittsburgh can manage to post a population gain within a recent decade.
Get back to me when Atlanta can stay whole, and when its unemployment rate drops to Pittsburgh's level (you're higher by almost 3%).

Old 07-10-2011, 11:48 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
You're like super late to the party and the moment has passed. We've moved on.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:13 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Why?
From the tone of his post, I inferred things that have taken off and spread from the South like obesity, fast-food 'culture', Baby/Child beauty pageants, repressive forms of fundamentalist Christianity, Wal*Mart consumerism, etc.

Those are all things that have already spread throughout the country, by the way. And rather stereotypical, I might add.

Of, course, I don't define Southern culture by that since the South has produced a very laudable and rich culture in America, but I am assuming it is those types of things that he meant. He is playing with a double edged sword, though. The North and the West have their own... cultural issues. :-)

Old 07-10-2011, 07:05 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
HELL NO. In fact, I can't think of anything Atlanta has produced culturally except Crunking and Dirty South Beats.

Get out of here. You are ridiculous.
Thats YOUR ignorance.
Atlanta has produced no more or less what other similar sized and of similar aged cities have produced.Some more important than others but still of cultural relevance to American culture.

Why is it that hip hp and rap contributions to American culture are downplayed despite its popular nationwide and even somewhat worldwide following?

San Francisco gave us the hippie culture.Mind altering drugs, sexual indiscretions,anti government political contributions that often involved communist leanings.

Seattle and Portland gave us grunge music whose top celebrity killed himself after on drugs.

Only cities that tend to be older have given us a lot of what our culture is but even those cities most of the time represent the region than the actual city itself where much of the culture derives from.Atlanta is younger but its no different.People when asked think asked to nm major city in the South(for whatever reasons)often say Atlanta.Atlanta represents the cultre of the South.Even sometimes when it does not apply.
For example did you know that although the South gets the bad rap about being more racist,yet Atlanta was the ONLY city (in the South and one of the few in the whole U.S) that during the era of Civil Rights that segregated without the riots?It was the only city whose mayor who did not support to continue Jim Crow and testified as the only mayor from the South who spoke out as such in front of Congress.

So while I don't think Atlanta is on any level culturally with LA.It has made a case as one of the few national centers where music,media,literature as well as icons like Coca Cola,Gone With The Wind and other world known things have originated from OR have been represented buy the region Atlanta.

Last edited by afonega1; 07-10-2011 at 07:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.