Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:53 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,628,503 times

Advertisements

This is a thread based on what you love about YOUR city. Not what makes it better than another city. What are the top 10 merrits of your city.

So here is the criteria, authored orginally by ire2usa

Rules:
Give 10 (or more if you have them) clear points on whats great about YOUR city.
Don't mention other cities, even if you believe yours to be superior.
Just give us a feel of what makes your city the best (or at least why you call it home!)

Please also try and include the following info.:
Your age range.
How long you have lived there.

I got this idea from another thread (//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...r-city-22.html) ,
which was a great idea, but unfortunately one must weed through 20 pages of trolling, mostly on NYC domination and got brought down really quickly. If your hometown is NYC, go for it, talk it up...but not at another cities expense. Likewise for other cities and hometowns. And if somebody does deviate, try not to feed into it.

Anyway, keep it real, try and keep it positive, as this is a great thread topic that merrits revival.

Happy posting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 08:42 PM

726 posts, read 2,139,860 times
Denver
  1. pro sports
  2. red rocks
  3. GABF and all the microbreweries
  4. mmj (don't use it just appreciate living somewhere that allows it)
  5. SUNSHINE/great weather
  6. access to some of the world's best skiing
  7. some of the best outdoor recreation
  8. transit system
  9. downtown liveliness
  10. cruise nights (not the antique car type)
there's more but that'll do

Old 06-20-2011, 08:54 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,678,927 times
Will try this

Lived in Philly my first 20 years away for ten (DC/NYC/SF) and back home for 7 now

In no particular order

- Sense of place; Philadelphia is what it is and mostly pretends to be nothing other than what it is; I generally like the people here, they are mostly very real
- History - its everywhere and not just in the city but in all the little towns that sorround it and the events that took place. A small example is I grew up half in the city and half in the burbs and when in the burbs there was a farm house about a mile away from me where the US flag was first flown and carried among US troops, just these little things i have always loved. You basically get to live in a museum of sorts
- Passion of the people (sports and otherwise there is energy)
- Ethnic identity - unlike many areas of the country the culture and traditions of the immigrants (be many 2nd or 3rd generation) are still felt and a part of the place
- Urbanity - the city is a great urban place,vibrant, and energetic
- Beautiful countryside - juxtaposed against the above areas like Bucks County and the Brandywine Valley are just flat out gorgeous
- Beach - close enough and to me the South Jersey shore is very under rated
- Architecture - new and old seemless with one another
- Food - like many other places it is very good but also some of the hometown favorites as well as the broader food and restaurant offerings
- 4 Seasons - yes I do like the seasons but mostly i love Spring and Fall and appreciate both more after winter and summer

Number 11 but obvious
- A simple one, its home and where my family is

Old 06-20-2011, 09:07 PM

597 posts, read 2,100,464 times
Nashville:

NFL, NHL, numerous college sports, great sports in general along with a populace who loves them.

Close proximity to mountains with numerous outdoor activities, from mild to extreme. Great day trip hub which includes close proximity to city oriented day trips to cities I'm not supposed to mention, but in this context I will. Memphis, Knoxville, Birmingham, Louisville, Chattanooga…all great day trips.

Chef-driven restaurants and a rapidly growing food scene. We can have numerous outlets for our southern culture/comfort foods, then we can change channels at will for more exotic fare, healthful fare…in any price range and atmosphere level.

Nashville is famous. We have oodles of celebrities from our country stars like Tim McGraw, iconic Dolly, Keith Urban to Sheryl Crow, Kings of Leon, Paramore to Hollywood's Nicole Kidman..well, just too many celebs to mentions. We, the city, are very proud to have them and it gives us a focus on an entertainment industry like no other place, and remarkably vibrant for a smaller city such as ours. This drives a multi-billion dollar tourist and convention industry and provides an air of excitement for our locals and our guests.

We have a great, convenient and easy to navigate airport with affordable fares to most places we'd want to go.

We're on many, many company's radars as a relocation destination which provides employment for the thousands of young professional/creative class types who come here…and stay.

Our city itself is growing and polishing itself into a beautiful, modern metropolis with all the amenities expected of such including shopping, hospitality, attitudes and a general feeling of pride.

Our people are friendly, and from what I see are very open to the thousands who come here from other places, domestic and foreign.

We have great parks and outdoor opportunities within the county limits including large lakes, hiking trails, greenways.

We have medical facilities rated among the country's best with two medical schools, large research facilities and a corporate healthcare industry ranking among the largest in the country.

I'm a 58 year-old who's lived in Nashville all my life, and very proud to call this my home.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:45 PM

92,004 posts, read 122,107,559 times
I'd say 4 seasons, the many festivals, good sports scene for the levels they are at, plenty of outdoor opportunities, can find nice neighborhoods at an affordable price, plenty of history, generally down to earth people, the natural beauty/hills, the arts scene and very easy to get to where you to be in a relatively short amount of time.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:42 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,674,818 times
- Accepting of diversity
- Amazing food
- Beautiful juxtaposition of scenery and architecture
- Near-perfect weather
- Huge and lively Hip Hop scene
- Friendliness of the people
- Inclusive community
- Thriving traditional and street art scene
- Socio-economic diversity that intermingles
- Unique individual neighborhoods

Old 06-21-2011, 12:06 AM

12,259 posts, read 24,359,132 times
Pueblo, Colorado.

I am a 4th generation Puebloan and am 38 years old. I have lived here all my life except for college.

Ten reasons I like Pueblo:

1) Climate that includes 4 seasons. Summer are warm but not too hot and winters have snow but not too cold.

2) Pueblo has many large events like the state fair, Wild Wild West Fest and the Chili festival that are fun.

3) Close to mountains and great skiing.

4) Has some great mom and pop restaurants.

5) Gay Friendly.

6) Has a great art and cultural community.

7) Not much traffic.

8) CSU Pueblo.

9) Wonderful history.

10) Friendly people.

I can come up with more but this will be the 10 I choose.....

Old 06-21-2011, 12:51 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,698,585 times
Funny people
great junkfood
sports
cheap
historic
blue collar
close to other great cities
lively downtown
homely feel
i know it like the back of my hand.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:08 AM

10,720 posts, read 23,628,503 times
My present city..

Salem, MA

1 - History and witch trials, gave the city a lot of character (and characters). It's very eclectic.

2 - Nice downtown and waterfront, Pickering wharf and marina.

3- good selection of bars and restaurants, no need for me to go into Boston really. Everything from Mexican to Thai and excellent pizza at Engine House.

4 - Commuter rail access to Boston, close enough to the city (15 miles).

5 - Nice architecture, lots large of colonial and federalist homes.

6 - Hasn't been overgentrified, still relatively affordable for the area.

7 - Close to other scenic north shore communities and beaches like Marblehead, Gloucester, Rockport, & Ipswich (Cranes, Wingaersheek, and Good Harbor beaches).

8 - Plenty of shopping in the area (North Shore Mall, Whole Foods/Trader Joes, Target).

9 - Peabody Essex Museum: has a very impressive endowment of art and historical artifacts, comparable to some big cities. Easy place to kill a few hours.

10 - Salem Beer Works

Old 06-21-2011, 12:52 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,579,875 times
Pittsburgh, PA

1. The only city in America with an "entrance"
2. Sports teams win championships at a high rate
3. Junk food capital of the world
4. Unique natural setting
5. A leader in "real" per capita income growth since 2000
6. Underrated recreational outlets in and near the city
7. Suburban sprawl is limited
8. The most resilient city in the United States
9. Cultural amenities befitting a city of much larger size
10. A highly-educated workforce under the age of 45

Athens, GA

1. Quintessential college town
2. The lowest unemployment rate in Georgia
3. Equidistant from Atlanta, the Blue Ridge Mountains and three large lakes
4. The DAWGS
5. Downtown and the University of Georgia blend seamlessly
6. Hasn't lost its Southern appeal in spite of being a college town
7. The Taco Stand, Plantation Buffet, Fresh Air BBQ and Mama Sid's Pizza
8. Big enough to have critical mass, but small enough to not be hectic
9. Perfect weather in the fall
10. Not quite as hot in the summer as other parts of the South
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.