Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 02:07 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Yea, our beaches are terrible no one ever comes here.
Has anyone beyond Maryland, Virginia or Philly even heard of your beaches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 02:08 PM

765 posts, read 2,128,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Nebraska: corn, flat. Kansas: wheat, flat, Westboro Baptist Church . North Dakota: accent, Fargo movie (filmed in Minnesota), flat.

You're still greatly exaggerating Ohio's fame.

> Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has a so-so reputation as just another tourist trap.
> Not everyone is a hardcore sports fan so Lebron (and Ohio State for that matter) is not such a big deal.
> I GUARANTEE you that most people have either not heard of Cedar Point, or they hardly know anything about it.

Most people write Cleveland off. The very name suggests "boring and failed American city." I'm just saying that's the perception; don't shoot the messenger!

Cincinnati has name recognition, but that's about it. Most people don't even know about Cincinnati chili (I found out from someone who had lived there).

And nobody knows or cares about Columbus.

So much for the three C's.
My point is that a lot of states don't even have that much. What about Maryland, Virginia, South or North Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Wisconsin, Michigan etc. etc. etc.

And OSU isn't only known for sports, it's also a huge and well-known research institution

Old 06-23-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
My point is that a lot of states don't even have that much. What about Maryland, Virginia, South or North Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Wisconsin, Michigan etc. etc. etc.
They've all got stuff. Most conjure up an image. I guess my point is not so much that Ohio has nothing, as that it has so little for its size.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
They've all got stuff. Most conjure up an image. I guess my point is not so much that Ohio has nothing, as that it has so little for its size.
I guess I really don't know what you mean. It only has little if you take a superficial glance at it. It has tons to offer, although it might not be as loud and out there as New York or California.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:33 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,421,693 times
Two of my neices went to University of Kansas and had a blast (got a good education too). And they live in Chicago, so it can't be that "nothing".

Old 06-23-2011, 02:34 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Ohio? Really? I mean, I've got my beef with Ohio, but seriously Ohio is a bonanza compared to some states (::eyes Nebraska, Kansas, Delaware, Rhode Island, etc.:...

Old 06-23-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
I guess I really don't know what you mean. It only has little if you take a superficial glance at it. There is tons to offer, although it might not be as loud and out there as New York or California.
It's all relative, yes. But isn't that the point of your thread here? Relative unknown?

Old 06-23-2011, 02:40 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,467 times
Quote:
Has anyone beyond Maryland, Virginia or Philly even heard of your beaches?

Unfortunately, yes.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:42 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
I've been to 48 states and found some interesting aspects to all of them. I have no doubt I'll find some equally interesting things about Montana and Hawaii once I get there. I suspect many people who elected to post here have never visited the states they are choosing to slam. Among the others, I can only chalk it up to intellectual laziness, lack of interest in history and/or lack of appreciation of different topographies. Among the states mentioned here so far, I wonder how many people have visited:

Kansas: Lawrence? The Flint Hills?
Ohio: The three great American "C" cities? Marietta? The rolling Ohio Valley complete with beautiful fall foliage?
Delaware: The Brandywine Valley? Old New Castle? Lewes? Rehoboth Beach?
Dakotas: Mt Rushmore? Jewel Cave? The Badlands?
Idaho: Snake River? Bitterroot Mountains? The Palouse?
Nevada: Great Basin National Park? Lake Tahoe?

Feel free to share snarky comments about places you may or may not know about. I'm outta here on this thread.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I've been to 48 states and found some interesting aspects to all of them. I have no doubt I'll find some equally interesting things about Montana and Hawaii once I get there. I suspect many people who elected to post here have never visited the states they are choosing to slam. Among the others, I can only chalk it up to intellectual laziness, lack of interest in history and/or lack of appreciation of different topographies. Among the states mentioned here so far, I wonder how many people have visited:

Kansas: Lawrence? The Flint Hills?
Ohio: The three great American "C" cities? Marietta? The rolling Ohio Valley complete with beautiful fall foliage?
Delaware: The Brandywine Valley? Old New Castle? Lewes? Rehoboth Beach?
Dakotas: Mt Rushmore? Jewel Cave? The Badlands?
Idaho: Snake River? Bitterroot Mountains? The Palouse?
Nevada: Great Basin National Park? Lake Tahoe?

Feel free to share snarky comments about places you may or may not know about. I'm outta here on this thread.
So it's settled then, Nebraska
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.