Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 11:42 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,308 times

Advertisements

What are the most liberal parts of your region, and most conservative? Can you describe them?

Since I live in the SF Bay Area, there are a lot of candidates for most liberal. San Francisco has a lot of white hipster liberals, immigrants, ethnic and racial minorities, gays and lesbians, all of which make for a very Democratic-voting populace. Then there's Marin County, which is more of an aging hippie, wealthy environmentalist liberal area. Finally, there's Berkeley, which of course has the ultra-liberal student/professor population there.

As far as most conservative...the San Ramon Valley (Danville, San Ramon, Dublin, Pleasanton) and Livermore are the most Republican towns in the Bay Area. Generally white, upper-middle class, suburban people there, wary of the liberalism of the rest of the Bay Area. Livermore is a town of its own, of course, further out, closer to the Central Valley, and less of a minority presence there. Finally, there is Atherton in San Mateo County, which voted for Obama but is one of the few towns left in the Bay Area with more registered Republicans than Democrats. It of course is ultra-wealthy and mostly white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 12:34 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Austin followed by Houston & Dallas would be considered the 3 most liberal large cities of Texas.

In the Southern United States, Miami & New Orleans are without a doubt the 2 most liberal large cities in their region.

The South in general is highly conservative & most of it lays in the "Bible Belt" with Southern Baptist churches all over the place.

Texas however is becoming more moderate & will be a swing state before too much longer. Its also majority Catholic regardless of what some people may tell you.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:46 AM

996 posts, read 1,896,043 times
If Texas goes swing, it's all over for the GOP. Texas is the beacon of Republican support, electoral vote wise.

Anyways.

In NC, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, the triad and Fayetteville are liberal, plus Asheville.

Western Carolina, plus most of the Charlotte metro (except Charlotte) is very conservative.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:52 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Middle Tennessee is, of course, mostly conservative, but Nashville leans a little more liberal than other areas. But I don't believe it's as liberal as its voting record would have you believe. Many African Americans seem to be fairly conservative in many ways, but often vote democratic. I've noticed the same thing of many of the elderly. My town voted about 60/40 Republican/Democrat in 2008, and it's certainly not liberal by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:47 AM

996 posts, read 1,896,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Middle Tennessee is, of course, mostly conservative, but Nashville leans a little more liberal than other areas. But I don't believe it's as liberal as its voting record would have you believe. Many African Americans seem to be fairly conservative in many ways, but often vote democratic. I've noticed the same thing of many of the elderly. My town voted about 60/40 Republican/Democrat in 2008, and it's certainly not liberal by any stretch of the imagination.
Maybe their Old Guard Democrats who refuse to accept the GOP as the conservative party? I've met a few people in NC like that.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:00 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
In Florida the most liberal areas are SE Florida (Miami up through Palm Beach County), Orange/Osceola County (Orlando), Pinellas County (St Petersburg/Clearwater), Gainesville and Tallahassee. The rest of the state is fairly conservative and only because the population centers are more liberal the reason why the state is just slightly "blue".

Old 06-23-2011, 06:19 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
In South Florida, I'd say that the most liberal areas are among Miami, Miami Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Wilton Manors and Aventura. Hialeah remains the most conservative area.

In NC's Triangle, Chapel Hill and Carrboro are the most liberal while the Johnston and Harnett County suburbs to the East and South of Wake County are the most conservative.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:21 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
If Texas goes swing, it's all over for the GOP.
That's the understatement of the year! So true....

Old 06-23-2011, 03:03 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Austin followed by Houston & Dallas would be considered the 3 most liberal large cities of Texas.

In the Southern United States, Miami & New Orleans are without a doubt the 2 most liberal large cities in their region.

The South in general is highly conservative & most of it lays in the "Bible Belt" with Southern Baptist churches all over the place.

Texas however is becoming more moderate & will be a swing state before too much longer. Its also majority Catholic regardless of what some people may tell you.
I notice Southern Texas/Rio Grande Valley, and El Paso county are also fairly left leaning. Not hard to understand why, but just thought I'd point it out.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:08 PM

719 posts, read 2,665,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I notice Southern Texas/Rio Grande Valley, and El Paso county are also fairly left leaning. Not hard to understand why, but just thought I'd point it out.
Can't speak for El Paso, but the Rio Grande Valley is anything but liberal. It's a blue region because the consensus is that Democrat politicians take better care of the poorer immigrant minority constituency.

Back to the the OP, Austin is the most liberal city in Texas. Don't know about the most conservative, but Abilene's up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.