Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 03:49 PM

514 posts, read 765,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Yeah the Port System of Houston and Louisiana are the first and second largest in the US.

Busiest Port Regions in the US (2007):
SouthEast Texas/Houston region- 422,885
Mississippi River Delta/S. Louisiana- 379,686
SoCao- LA, Long Beach, San Diego, etc- 147,388

Philly does not even make it as a System, let alone the way Kidphilly tells it.
But only because of oil exports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 03:58 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Ignorance is bliss
Well, you haven't posted accumulated numbers of the ports or any respectible group that associates those ports as one or a port region. Post some link, numbers with a source to actually prove your point.
You and Htowns arguments are usually mutual, but I have to agree with him.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:42 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Well, you haven't posted accumulated numbers of the ports or any respectible group that associates those ports as one or a port region. Post some link, numbers with a source to actually prove your point.
You and Htowns arguments are usually mutual, but I have to agree with him.

I actually have already but again with HTowns link
CY 2007 Tonnage for Selected U.S. Ports by Port Tons

Port of Philadelphia (also know as the Delaware River Port Authority) includes (values listed in millions of total tonnage per the link):

Paulsboro NJ 38mil
Philadelphia PA 35mil
Marcus Hook PA 25mil
New Castle DE 7mil
Camden NJ 7mil
Wilmington DE 4mil
Penn Manor PA 3mil
Chester PA 2mil
Trenton NJ 2mil

Total 125mil

These are all aligned the Delaware River in Philadelphia and serve as the broader port complex associated with the Port of Philadelphia

Now these all are listed independantly as they are in all in different states/counties/municpalities but are collectively part of the Delaware River Port, all are well within the Philadelphia MSA, and the stretch of core ports (of Paulsboro, Philly, Chester, New Castle, Camden, Marcus Hook) all are all right in a row within 15 miles along the Delaware River.

For perspective here is a map centered on Marcus Hook to see how close all these places are and relative to Philadelphia itself.

Marcus Hook, PA - Google Maps

Regardless of if the link seperates them they are ALL well within in the Philly MSA

Old 06-28-2011, 04:59 PM

On that list NYC and some NJ ports are included to make the number 3 spot. Also, Trenton is listed independent of Philly/Delaware R. PA. Where is the Delaware River Port authority on that list, as Philadelphia is much lower on the list.

Separate of our debate, I wonder if the Mississippi has something similar for the delta region.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
On that list NYC and some NJ ports are included to make the number 3 spot. Also, Trenton is listed independent of Philly/Delaware R. PA. Where is the Delaware River Port authority on that list, as Philadelphia is much lower on the list.

Separate of our debate, I wonder if the Mississippi has something similar for the delta region.

I said many times it is not listed as one on the list as they are seperate enitities (which I listed). most do list the NY/NJ as one - most of this port is actually in Jersey but all along the Hudson and some part in NY along the East River, even some up into the LI sound

Are you disputing that all these ports are actually not in the Philly MSA? Take out Trenton as fine it was only 1% of the total

And this is part of my point because of the way these get categorized it diminishes the volume of shipping that flows through Philly on such lists. And my point was also more to HTown showing SE TX as far and away the second largest shipping region (which the combined NY/Phily/Baltimore are basically the same volume which is how the whole thing started) and in reponse to that no other areas come close

Last edited by kidphilly; 06-28-2011 at 05:12 PM..

Old 06-28-2011, 05:42 PM

I'm not disputing anything, also I'm not familiar with NJs geography plus I don't know exactly how those rivers run. It's just a little confusing for me.

Since the Delaware river goes through multiple states, Im guessing it cannot be counted as one.

I think I understand.

I asked about the MS river because the Port of SLA is in NO metro.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I'm not disputing anything, also I'm not familiar with NJs geography plus I don't know exactly how those rivers run. It's just a little confusing for me.

Since the Delaware river goes through multiple states, Im guessing it cannot be counted as one.

I think I understand.

I asked about the MS river because the Port of SLA is in NO metro.

Yes the area around NOLA has enormous ports and the location on the MS is very significant

For what its worth all the ports I listed are within just a few miles of one another. In a Houston perspective these ports fall within a span of the Delaware River that would be the approx length of I10 as it crosses the inner loop

Old 06-28-2011, 06:46 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Go Gulf of Mexico! lol. Thats cool to hear. I have lived on the Gulf for the vast majority of my life. Neat to hear that its gaining importance. There are setbacks though. New Orleans went through hell this decade. It still has rampant poverty fix. Tampa-St. Pete, the 2nd largest metro on the gulf, is in shambles following the housing crash. Houston is currently the only city along the Gulf that has a thriving economy.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yes the area around NOLA has enormous ports and the location on the MS is very significant

For what its worth all the ports I listed are within just a few miles of one another. In a Houston perspective these ports fall within a span of the Delaware River that would be the approx length of I10 as it crosses the inner loop
Ah I see. That's a very short distance. That's a very confusing setup that should be counted as one port system.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Ah I see. That's a very short distance. That's a very confusing setup that should be counted as one port system.

An issue with all these small municipailities/boundaries, it lies in three states among 8 different counties and in 9 different cities/towns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.