U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:26 AM

8 posts, read 24,572 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all!

I'm from the south and exploring my options of moving after graduating college, but weather is a big factor for me.

I've lived in GA almost my entire life (Atlanta area) and have never tolerated the summers well. Incredibly hot and humid summers are NO fun. If I just stand outside I start to sweat. :[

I was thinking of heading west, but I do love the south. Are there any southern cities that have climates close to San Francisco/Seattle or maybe even Boston (I don't mind semi-harsh winters).

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 10:45 AM

8,190 posts, read 13,573,872 times
The only ones that I can think of that might fit this description are mountain towns (Asheville, Chattanooga, Roanoke, etc.)

Old 06-27-2011, 10:49 AM

717 posts, read 805,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
The only ones that I can think of that might fit this description are mountain towns (Asheville, Chattanooga, Roanoke, etc.)
I was about to say. Mountain towns have the mildest summers, but all in all, there is no escaping the heat in the south.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:12 PM

1,950 posts, read 4,022,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingwest2013 View Post
Hey y'all!

I'm from the south and exploring my options of moving after graduating college, but weather is a big factor for me.

I've lived in GA almost my entire life (Atlanta area) and have never tolerated the summers well. Incredibly hot and humid summers are NO fun. If I just stand outside I start to sweat. :[

I was thinking of heading west, but I do love the south. Are there any southern cities that have climates close to San Francisco/Seattle or maybe even Boston (I don't mind semi-harsh winters).

Thanks!
I can tell you that Richmond isn't that bad too me (I'm from Boston) it's worse than MA but much better than Atlanta's summers (yes I've been there) I can also tell you being from Boston our light winters would probably kill you let alone "semi-harsh". Here in VA winter is almost non-existent and it always amuses me to see the agony it creates for people. Doesn't even get cold. If you wan't to technically stay in the south but want middle of the ground summers, I'd say Northern VA. Although it's arguable how southern it is.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:37 PM

1,939 posts, read 4,347,820 times
BS, NYC, Newark, Philly, Baltimore, DC, Richmond and Raleigh all are much much hotter than Atlanta is the summer. Atlanta rarely gets over 100, 95 is usually the maximum, and Chattanooga is brutal, Asheville is about the only large town that is moderate in the summer.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:32 PM

7,533 posts, read 9,184,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
BS, NYC, Newark, Philly, Baltimore, DC, Richmond and Raleigh all are much much hotter than Atlanta is the summer.
Much hotter than Atlanta, huh? Well, you're wrong, at least on the cities from Philly on up:

Average Weather for Atlanta, GA - Temperature and Precipitation
Average Weather for Boston, MA - Temperature and Precipitation
Average Weather for New York, NY - Temperature and Precipitation
Average Weather for Newark, NJ - Temperature and Precipitation
Average Weather for Philadelphia, PA - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 06-27-2011, 03:48 PM

12,285 posts, read 33,863,155 times
Quote:
BS, NYC, Newark, Philly, Baltimore, DC, Richmond and Raleigh all are much much hotter than Atlanta is the summer. Atlanta rarely gets over 100, 95 is usually the maximum, and Chattanooga is brutal, Asheville is about the only large town that is moderate in the summer.
no way for those northern cities.

i follow weather in ATL (family there) and it's hotter. period.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:50 PM

57 posts, read 111,729 times
Quote:
Where the hell did you get that information from? Out of your ass? Yeah, I thought so.

I have lived in DC for the past year, and grew up in Atlanta. Atlanta is FAR AND AWAY hotter (and more humid) than DC. I visited Atlanta just a few weeks ago for my sister's wedding, and I literally was floored with how much the heat and humidity suffocated me. DC is not bad at all. We've only had a handful of very hot days. Most days are just in the upper 80s, low 90s for the summer. And the humidity isn't even as close to being as bad as Atlanta's is.

That was just a really ignorant statement to make to say all those cities are "much hotter" than Atlanta.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:00 PM

14,028 posts, read 17,790,182 times
How big does it need to be?
If small is ok look into these:
Blacksburg-Virginia.-43k
Lynchburg-Virginia.-74k
Roanoke-Virginia.-95k
Johnson-City-Tennessee.-63k
Asheville-North-Carolina.-77k
Boone-North-Carolina.-14k

Old 06-27-2011, 04:16 PM

12,390 posts, read 26,613,189 times
nope, this thing called humidity is going to defeat that, closest bet is to find places with higher altitude, probably western NC/ Eastern TN, you get a lot of the fog over there too, maybe WV, if you consider that the south..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.