Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 08:53 PM

58 posts, read 91,207 times

Advertisements

From the age of 13 to now (I am 18) my family and I have been living in Alabama. Not much to do here, we are minorities (not Black or White) and I have to admit I have faced quite a bit of racism. One time when I was in high school, I was attacked by some White males (physically) because the girl who I was going out with at the time was White (she was from New York).

Before coming here we lived in California and Pennsylvania, both states which I loved and made many friends in. We came to the US when I was 5 years old.

I went to a terrible high school in Alabama which did not have sports or anything, I had a 3.6 GPA but could not afford to get decent financial aid, my SAT score was in the 1800s because there was no prep, school's average SAT score was in the 1300s (math + reading + Writing) and I did not have much access to resources. You can say it is my fault entirely but unless you have lived my type of life you can't really blame it fully on me.

I have never seen another non-White or non-Black person in my area, seriously, most of the people in my area are White or Black and I am basically the only one who isn't.

My childhood and adolescent has been scarred, one time I went up to some kids in my high school orientation asking them if they wanted to hang out and one said "Take cover!" while all of the other kids laughed, I don't have many friends and I have tried but so many kids have alienated me due to my background, and I have had many periods of depression.

I am almost going to be 19 and some days I cry. I wish I had the opportunity to be in NY, CA, or somewhere else in the US where people would not avoid me based on my background.

I get jealous of the people living in California and New York and in a way I have a heavy hatred growing for them that they have lived lives which I did not have the opportunity to live.

What can I do!?

Old 07-02-2011, 09:39 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WavinFlag View Post
From the age of 13 to now (I am 18) my family and I have been living in Alabama. Not much to do here, we are minorities (not Black or White) and I have to admit I have faced quite a bit of racism. One time when I was in high school, I was attacked by some White males (physically) because the girl who I was going out with at the time was White (she was from New York).

Before coming here we lived in California and Pennsylvania, both states which I loved and made many friends in. We came to the US when I was 5 years old.

I went to a terrible high school in Alabama which did not have sports or anything, I had a 3.6 GPA but could not afford to get decent financial aid, my SAT score was in the 1800s because there was no prep, school's average SAT score was in the 1300s (math + reading + Writing) and I did not have much access to resources. You can say it is my fault entirely but unless you have lived my type of life you can't really blame it fully on me.

I have never seen another non-White or non-Black person in my area, seriously, most of the people in my area are White or Black and I am basically the only one who isn't.

My childhood and adolescent has been scarred, one time I went up to some kids in my high school orientation asking them if they wanted to hang out and one said "Take cover!" while all of the other kids laughed, I don't have many friends and I have tried but so many kids have alienated me due to my background, and I have had many periods of depression.

I am almost going to be 19 and some days I cry. I wish I had the opportunity to be in NY, CA, or somewhere else in the US where people would not avoid me based on my background.

I get jealous of the people living in California and New York and in a way I have a heavy hatred growing for them that they have lived lives which I did not have the opportunity to live.

What can I do!?
Go to a community college if you can and secure a part time job. Save up money, work toward you degree, and then move as soon as you get your degree and have a bit of money saved. It sounds like you have experienced the worst side of the Deep South, which doesn't at all surprise me. Best of luck!

Old 07-02-2011, 09:40 PM

698 posts, read 1,509,732 times
typical south

Old 07-02-2011, 09:47 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
OP, you could have had this experience anywhere, including California.

Just work on yourself, and everything else will follow.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:07 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Go to a community college if you can and secure a part time job. Save up money, work toward you degree, and then move as soon as you get your degree and have a bit of money saved. It sounds like you have experienced the worst side of the Deep South, which doesn't at all surprise me. Best of luck!
Agree 100%. In addition, a 1800 SAT should be enough to get at least tuition paid for at a community college. I had a 27 ACT and I managed to get a full scholarship and a book voucher at a low-tier university.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:42 PM

46 posts, read 118,362 times
Listen to Nowincal. You are 18 years old and have a long, full life ahead of you. Save $, get an education and leave! Don't sit around, have kids and get more and more bitter. You can do this!

Old 07-03-2011, 02:31 AM

369 posts, read 1,302,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imtheonlyamy View Post
Listen to Nowincal. You are 18 years old and have a long, full life ahead of you. Save $, get an education and leave! Don't sit around, have kids and get more and more bitter. You can do this!
Don't try to knock up the next girl that gives you the time of day. Focus on getting educated so you will be able to obtain the means to get the hell out of there. If you start having kids before you accomplish your educational goals, you'll be stuck there for life.

I have to admit that I LOL when I read that some kid yelled "take cover!" when they saw you. Gosh, that's not right LOL... sorry...

Old 07-03-2011, 05:30 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WavinFlag View Post
I had a 3.6 GPA but could not afford to get decent financial aid, my SAT score was in the 1800s because there was no prep, school's average SAT score was in the 1300s (math + reading + Writing) and I did not have much access to resources. You can say it is my fault entirely but unless you have lived my type of life you can't really blame it fully on me. [/b]
Apply to a four year college in-state that has a sizable Asian population. The University of South Alabama is still accepting applications for fall and if you're able to get your financial aid handled before then, a great way to get started quick. 4% of the undergraduate population is Asian (11,000 total) meaning 400 other Asian students are attending. If Fall is too quick, apply for Spring 2011 and add UAB to the mix. UAB has a 7% Asian population with 11,000 undergrads as well.

Bear in mind financial aid can and will cover tuition, room/board, books and incidental expenses if one desires. Meaning you don't have to worry about costs right off the bat. Then begin applying for scholarships and grants once you're through a semester or two. It's not the most ideal financial scenario but if you're desperate to get out of that town, probably the least expensive given you'll be paying in-state tuition. Good luck!

USA Office of Admissions

Old 07-03-2011, 06:14 AM

58 posts, read 91,207 times
I do not want to stay in this state though, that is the issue.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:23 AM

126 posts, read 304,511 times
Apply to schools outside of your state. gl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.