Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 06:11 PM

36 posts, read 108,130 times

Advertisements

I'll keep this short an sweet. I've lived in Austin for the last 10 years, and I would say that I fully embody the spirit of that city. It's time for me to venture out, but I want to find a city I'd be just as proud to call home. I'm a 26 yo female in my prime, and here's a quick list of things that make me happy: thrift stores, beer, bluegrass, barbecue, camping, tubing, trains, trailers, vinyl, cowboy boots, banjos, roller derby, tattoos, bikes, all night diners and music festivals. Here's the question: what's another eclectic city where I might be happy to hang my hat?

I have looked into the following cities so far. Feel free to comment on my list, but I would also like to add some possibilities.

Portland
New Orleans
Savannah
Nashville
Louisville
Missoula
Asheville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 06:37 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,102,493 times
Albuquerque, maybe? I'm from new Mexico… And eating at a place downtown, you'll see hispanics, cowboys, cops, firefighters, businessmen and women, college professors, liberals, conservatives.. All in the same building getting along fine. That's the vibe I like about New Mexico.. And being on Route 66, we have some good diners. Music on the Civic Plaza all summer long. Camping in the mountains that are literally right next to the city. I don't know, you might look into it. Albuquerque is a very eclectic city, so it may or may not be right for you.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:31 PM

6,364 posts, read 11,656,500 times
As long as they can be freight trains it looks like you'd be happy in Knoxville.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:26 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,102,493 times
You can take the train to Santa Fe, from Albuquerque! And we have Amtrak, too. ^.^

Old 06-29-2010, 12:48 AM

7,078 posts, read 16,817,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaRex View Post
I'll keep this short an sweet. I've lived in Austin for the last 10 years, and I would say that I fully embody the spirit of that city. It's time for me to venture out, but I want to find a city I'd be just as proud to call home. I'm a 26 yo female in my prime, and here's a quick list of things that make me happy: thrift stores, beer, bluegrass, barbecue, camping, tubing, trains, trailers, vinyl, cowboy boots, banjos, roller derby, tattoos, bikes, all night diners and music festivals. Here's the question: what's another eclectic city where I might be happy to hang my hat?

I have looked into the following cities so far. Feel free to comment on my list, but I would also like to add some possibilities.

Portland
New Orleans
Savannah
Nashville
Louisville
Missoula
Asheville

I'd vote for Louisville. I'd also consider Portland and New Orleans, but Louisville is the best value for diverse weather, hipster vibe, and urban walkability compared to Portland which is much more expensive although cooler.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:01 AM

37,376 posts, read 39,809,011 times
What do you want that's different from Austin? Less college-y? Different natural setting? More diversity?

Old 06-29-2010, 09:17 AM

36 posts, read 108,130 times
Although the New Mexico suggestions are right on point with my needs and great insight into my personality, I am not considering NM because I lived in the area for 18 years. On that note, my main reason for moving is to explore new places. I'm not looking for something that's different from Austin in any specific way. I really do love it here. I just believe that there's room for more than one love in my life. =)

Could anyone tell me more about the geography of Louisville? (mountains, lakes, rivers...etc) What is the cultural climate of Knoxville? Is it Eclectic? What is the most eclectic/unique city (perhaps best music scene) in Tennessee? The Carolinas? Georgia? What do I mean by eclectic? I'm looking for a place where the progressive/hipster and old timey/Americana scenes converge. Final note, I prefer a warmer climate. Portland would be my first choice if was not for the cooler climate.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:08 AM

Obviously the best music scene in TN is Nashville. But Knoxville's is pretty good. You'll find listings at Mertropulse.com. Maybe even more eclectic than Nashville as it isn't dominated by country music.

Culturally Knoxville is very middle of the road but there are a lot of eclectic elements. There are plenty of foriegn students at (our)UT, it definitely has progressive/hipster and old timey/Americana scenes. Also roller derby and everything else on your list except a lot of cowboy boots and all night diners.

The most important thing to consider - Are you repused by ordinary people going about their ordinary middle class, middle of the road existance? If you are, then Knoxville is not for you.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:52 AM

Oh and you can tune into WDVX on the intertubes for a slice of the Americana pie. Google Big Ears festival for some truly eclectic music.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:25 AM

22,378 posts, read 39,084,290 times
Actually Pittsburgh or Seattle or Portland may be interesting.

Maybe a little more different from some of the other areas mentioned but also not dramatic

Pittsburgh has a good young vibe (make sure you live in the city itself) and a touch of the NE

Seatlle and Portland will give you the NW vibe so with many things being similar they may satiate a bit of a New Scene

I have also heard good things about Louisville but a friend who is a Lawyer who moved there said just dont venture very from town - It looks beautiful though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.