Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you like to see get on the Hip Hop map?
Minn St. paul 17 21.25%
Denver 15 18.75%
Albuquerque 4 5.00%
Omaha 8 10.00%
Seattle 17 21.25%
Portland 2 2.50%
Vegas 8 10.00%
Pheonix 9 11.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 01:31 PM

375 posts, read 782,078 times

Advertisements

CTownNative - It's cute that you would minimize the absolutely devastating effect that hip-hop and rap have had on the black community by saying "some people like techno and rock, I like rap". Please spare me...last time I looked a Fat Boy Slim or Moby mp3 wasn't endorsing "slapping up your ho" or "blasting a nlgga in the face". The music genres you mentioned also don't endorse the worship of material objects at the expense of your own dignity and ability to feed your kids and balance a check book!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 01:35 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,655,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
CTownNative - It's cute that you would minimize the absolutely devastating effect that hip-hop and rap have had on the black community by saying "some people like techno and rock, I like rap". Please spare me...last time I looked a Fat Boy Slim or Moby mp3 wasn't endorsing "slapping up your ho" or "blasting a nlgga in the face". The music genres you mentioned also don't endorse the worship of material objects at the expense of your own dignity and ability to feed your kids and balance a check book!
I like Rap and Hip Hop,Im not saying I like seeing people in the hood struggle,and I never siad that.But Rap and Hip Hop are music how do they kill people or cause problems?They don't.Do you have a problem with people enjoying rap?

Old 08-09-2007, 01:43 PM

Humans are sheep Ctown, you sound young, perhaps you haven't learned that lesson yet, but when there is the lack of a strong leader-figure in a human's immediate vicinity he or she will latch onto "something" to use as an example on how to get through this grand experiment called life. Thus, those lacking real guidance DO emulate what they read on the internet, watch on tv or hear in music. If you are broke, black and living in the hood' you don't have many heroes to emulate other than what the $$$ driven media will force feed you. Thus Russel Simmons, Nike, Old English, BET etc., have done just about as much damage to the social, psychological fiber of lower income black folks as Jim Crow and government sanctioned segregation. Who needs the klan anymore?

Old 08-09-2007, 01:52 PM

I listen to rap,and I don't sell drugs and kill people.People make decisions.You can listen to rap and not be a criminal or juvenille delinquint.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:55 PM

87 posts, read 147,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
No,but I mean compared to the Eastern Half of our country those numbers are small.Akron Ohio which isn't that big,has more representation from African Americans than Denver,and its much smaller.But I mean when your talking about Colorado,yes that is a pretty sizable African American population.I just don't see Denver getting on the Hip Hop map.When people think of Denver they think of the mountains and a vibrant city.It would be kind of hard for a rapper there to put out the message that there is real grimmy hoods there.Same thing with LV,people would have a hard time believing a rapper if he or she talked about the grimmy hoods there.Thats mostly because the places you put on your list are places associated as being good cities.
Actually akron ohio doest have more black people then Denver I used to live there, yea its 28% black but thats outa 200,000 so that would be around 50,000 And th perception of Denver is Mountains and white people but thats not all it is the perception of ohio is abunch hicks but thats not all it is, and back in the day the perception of the south was slow country people.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
I listen to rap,and I don't sell drugs and kill people.People make decisions.You can listen to rap and not be a criminal or juvenille delinquint.
Thus I can assume you had at least one real parent in your life, or some trustworthy authority figure who taught you the folly of having a weak mind. Too many people grow up without this privilege.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:01 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Just a note, not all rap music is about dealing drugs and slappin' h*os. It just so happens that most of the radio airplay goes to the negative rappers.

Now to answer the OP. Out of the list, I picked Denver, but I would also like to see Cincinnati and Columbus get put on the map.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:03 PM

yayoi- Just a note, not all rap music is about dealing drugs and slappin' h*os. It just so happens that most of the radio airplay goes to the negative rappers.

Agreed.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontbelloTopHat View Post
Actually akron ohio doest have more black people then Denver I used to live there, yea its 28% black but thats outa 200,000 so that would be around 50,000 And th perception of Denver is Mountains and white people but thats not all it is the perception of ohio is abunch hicks but thats not all it is, and back in the day the perception of the south was slow country people.
Actually I think the African American population is increasing in Colorado now.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Thus I can assume you had at least one real parent in your life, or some trustworthy authority figure who taught you the folly of having a weak mind. Too many people grow up without this privilege.
This is just a stereotype,just because you have parents that teach you to do the right thing doesn't mean you won't get into trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.