Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 09:56 AM

345 posts, read 832,906 times

Advertisements

US Airways President Scott Kirby says that US Airways is likely to merge with either American, United(and Continental), or Delta. Which one of these airlines would most likely benefit travel, US AIrways hubs, US Airways as a whole, and would benefit the airline that it would merge with?

BTW... US is already in an alliance with United.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 12:50 PM

38 posts, read 105,266 times
I live in Charlotte, where US Air has its biggest hub. 90% of airline flights in and out of here are on US Air or its regional subs, so there's usually not much choice if you want a direct flight anywhere from here. I avoid them when I can (for example, I take JetBlue to Boston), but usually it's either them or a layover somewhere. In terms of the passengers' travel experience, I can assure you that US Air doesn't bring anything to the table. They will nickel and dime you to death for the most basic of things, and in-flight entertainment is non-existent except on intercontinental flights (and then they'll charge you for headphones that you're never going to use again). Most legacy airlines don't score well in customer satisfaction, though, so a merger with one really wouldn't help the travel experience at all. Alaska, Southwest, and JetBlue are much better in that regard.

There are a couple of bright spots, though. They've gotten pretty good about not losing bags, which makes the checked bag fees somewhat stomachable. Also, if you book well in advance, flights along the east coast are pretty reasonable. It's not uncommon to pay under $100 each way; for example, in January I flew round-trip to Providence for $150 when booking in November. Granted, it was Rhode Island in January, but you can't say the same about westbound flights.

All that's to say they've managed to create economies of scale on the east coast, which would be beneficial to both sides if they merged with a carrier that has a stronger focus on the western US (American or United-Continental). Delta, on the other hand, already has a strong east coast presence with hubs in New York and Atlanta, so they have little need for US Air's hubs in Philly and Charlotte. If Delta and US Air merged, I would imagine that it would be to use their combined assets to help the larger (Delta) run new routes, rather than to complement what's already in place. Delta can get that from anybody, and US Air would be crucified for selling out at the expense of their east coast hubs.

Regardless of which one they merged with, someone's hub is going to get hurt. Besides Charlotte and Philly, US Air also has one in Phoenix. United-Continental has them in Denver, LA, San Francisco, and Houston, among others. American also has one in LA, as well as Dallas and JFK, again among others. If they merged with United-Continental, at least one of the western hubs would get the axe, because there's no need to have five of them in the southwestern quarter of the country. American would probably be a better fit in that regard; Phoenix and possibly Philly would get dinged, but they wouldn't see a huge withdrawal like Pittsburgh and Raleigh did a few years back.

Long story short, Delta is the least likely, and I'd put United as having a slight edge over American thanks to the codeshare agreement (read: familiarity with each other). Also, the only region they wouldn't have a hub in would be the PNW, but they could remedy that fairly easily if they so chose. Some kind of agreement with Alaska could also help with that, but that's a problem for another day and I've already written too much.

Last edited by bushpilotwannabe; 07-16-2011 at 01:00 PM..

Old 07-17-2011, 06:15 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Delta just acquired Northwest so another takeover/merger is unlikely. The same would apply to the merger between United and Continental. A merger is a massive undertaking and tackling back-to-back mergers would be damaging. In my opinion that leaves American which will want to keep pace with Delta and United.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:36 AM

996 posts, read 1,895,947 times
All I know about Airlines, is that I will never, willingly, fly Delta Airlines. (Because of their apparent anti-antisemitism)

Old 07-17-2011, 11:17 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,725,360 times
Forget mergers. US Airways should just get bought out.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:35 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,707,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Forget mergers. US Airways should just get bought out.
Delta could definitely buy US and kill Charlotte..........

Old 07-17-2011, 12:38 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,869,578 times
Isn't US Airways located in Atlanta? It seems like Delta would be the obvious choice then. If that's the case, how many of their hubs are they actually going to keep (Delta's legacy hubs, Northwest's old hubs, and now US Airways hubs)? No airline needs 10+ hubs!

Old 07-17-2011, 12:56 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,707,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
All I know about Airlines, is that I will never, willingly, fly Delta Airlines. (Because of their apparent anti-antisemitism)
Delta’s only agreement with Saudi Arabian Airlines is a standard industry agreement, which allows passengers to book tickets on multiple carriers, similar to the agreements other US legacy carriers have with Saudi Arabian Airlines.
All of the three global airline alliances – Star, which includes United Airlines; oneworld, which includes American Airlines, and SkyTeam, which includes Delta – have members that fly to Saudi Arabia and are subject to that country’s rules governing entry.

I use to fly with Delta and still have many Jewish friends that are still flying (attendants), it is not what you think.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:56 PM

100 posts, read 253,406 times
Nobody wants to merge with US Airways. They only attractive part of their operation would be Charlotte. Their pilot group is a mess. And to be honest, American is a mess too, its cost structure too high. It may be a while before we see any viable mergers in the future.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:39 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Isn't US Airways located in Atlanta? It seems like Delta would be the obvious choice then. If that's the case, how many of their hubs are they actually going to keep (Delta's legacy hubs, Northwest's old hubs, and now US Airways hubs)? No airline needs 10+ hubs!
I think US Airways is based in Phoenix. I think it use to be America West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.