U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 03:47 PM

205 posts, read 356,221 times

Advertisements

I saw a lot of threads of people asking where they should move to... the biggest things that helped me decide were two sites that my school's career counselor gave me a few years back... they include: find your spot . com (no spaces...forum wouldn't let me type it in normally)

For the longest time I didn't have any idea where to move to and it helped me narrow it down. Also for anyone who's curious about statistics for a town such as crime, cost of living, etc... i used...

best places.net

it has fairly up to date data and I also found it to be helpful in narrowing down my search

I hope that these help you guys as much as they did me! good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 04:55 PM

410 posts, read 768,928 times
Thanks for posting....i'll check it out!

Old 07-18-2011, 05:11 PM

What a cool site! It gave me 24 cities, 5 of them in Wisconsin, which I had been thinking about for months. I had been leaning toward Texas, only because it's cheap and jobs are plentiful, but WI has always held appeal for me.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:15 PM

2,363 posts, read 4,780,005 times
Well Tampa was #2 on my list. Miami was #1

Old 07-18-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Well Tampa was #2 on my list. Miami was #1
You are looking to move to where I want to get away from.... !

Old 07-18-2011, 08:03 PM

714 posts, read 1,415,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbird View Post
What a cool site! It gave me 24 cities, 5 of them in Wisconsin, which I had been thinking about for months. I had been leaning toward Texas, only because it's cheap and jobs are plentiful, but WI has always held appeal for me.

I love WI. for 7 months of the year, but the 5 winter months suck.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:32 AM

37 posts, read 22,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theeclipsedheart View Post
I saw a lot of threads of people asking where they should move to... the biggest things that helped me decide were two sites that my school's career counselor gave me a few years back... they include: find your spot . com (no spaces...forum wouldn't let me type it in normally)

For the longest time I didn't have any idea where to move to and it helped me narrow it down. Also for anyone who's curious about statistics for a town such as crime, cost of living, etc... i used...

best places.net

it has fairly up to date data and I also found it to be helpful in narrowing down my search

I hope that these help you guys as much as they did me! good luck!
I agree, Burt Sperling's place is awesome.
Wish he'd compare Metro Areas... instead of cities though.
And maybe add a forum! Hahah.

Also, "Places Rated Almanac: The Classic Guide for Finding Your Best Places to Live in America" is a good book.
Needs to be updated for post-recession numbers though. I keep emailing every 6 months or so wondering when the next edition will come out.
It's been about 4 years now.

Also, check youtube videos of bike rides and 'man on the street' views.

Many online polls of 'state by church attendance' or 'states by ____' listed on wikipedia and Gallup....may be of interest.

Local news channels and local newspapers and alt. weeklies.

Local public radio channels, if they haven't been defunded and cancelled.

Etc.

And, as a last resort, ---> go visit.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the responses guys! I'm so glad it helped you... & @9ine thanks for the tip on that book!

Old 07-19-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbird View Post
we really wanted to move to wisconsin too... but the schools in new york work better for us. But if you want to get away from the heat (we're in florida too) then i would def say go for wisconsin over texas...

Old 07-20-2011, 05:57 PM

8,201 posts, read 14,162,156 times
Sometimes our spot is the one we move away from, and don't realize it until we left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.