Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Employment: employee benefits, online search, health insurance, professionals

Old 08-10-2007, 01:23 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,323,200 times

Advertisements

Until recently, I had no idea that there was such a huge difference in employment across the country. I had done a preliminary online and phone search for employment in an area we were thinking of relocating to. Well, was I surprised!!

I discovered that employee benefits (including group health insurance) don't start from anywhere between 90 days up to one full year. I learned that some of the employers only hire part time and if you can "prove" yourself, they may consider hiring you fulltime. Many businesses like to use temp to hire. At one point, I got a hold of such a rude supervisor that I fully understood the complaints I've read on this board about how employees are treated like dirt in that state. I have never felt so degraded and worthless in my life as I did after only SPEAKING with that supervisor. He was the last of my search there because I realize I just wouldn't fit in.

In So. Dak., it seems that more of the employers offer benies. Also, the day you start working is the day your benies generally start.

My question is~how do these two descriptions compare to the state you live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 01:28 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,797,628 times
That whole "temp to hire" thing has been going on all over the US for about 15 years now. When the economy gets rolling pretty good, it becomes more favorable for the employee, but when the economy goes down somewhat (more unemployment), the businesses use the "temp to hire" more often. The company that I work for out of Oklahoma is legit, and has very few of these temp-to-hire positions. You begin work for them full-time, and after 90 days, your benefits start. They even pay 100% of the insurance premiums so there is no money out of the employees pocket for insurance except when you pay the co-pay at the dr. or for your prescriptions. I don't know how it is in other states, or even at other companies in Oklahoma, but this is my experience.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:31 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,323,200 times
Well, OK is one of the states that I did a bit of checking in. I did find a few places that offered benies at 60 days and some of them didn't have any info in their ads or websites.

The state I had done an in-depth search on is where we have family and were considering moving to. It was just an unreal experience and I can't imagine how awful it is for people to have to do a job search there.

My employer used to pay the entire premium for health insurance, too, but they've slowly started charging a little. I only have to pay 44 a month so I'm still very fortunate. DH used to have his entire premium paid, too, but they just started making the employee pay 85 a month, which is still good.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:12 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,018,861 times
The sort of work you do may also make a difference.
My husband and I are in the fields of social work and mental health. In New Jersey, using temps and temp-to-perm staffing is rare and only used if truly necessary. Temps just don't cut it in this line of work; also there are no shortage of professionals in this field. Having per diem staff on the books is a little more common and helps to fill in if there is a shortage. Benefits unfortunately generally don't kick in for 90 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.