Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2011, 07:05 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,709,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~CountryBoy~ View Post
I heard the weather mentioning Washington DC heat index hit 121 degrees yesterday.
It was actually 123, but heard reports as high as 130.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 07:15 AM

316 posts, read 560,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
It was actually 123, but heard reports as high as 130.......
Yikes.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:31 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I think the heat and drought in Texas is probably directly responsible for the heat waves in the Midwest. High pressure just expands north out of Texas into the Midwest. I imagine in order for the Northeast to get a sustained heat wave like the Midwest has had (a week or more of heat at a time), then the deep South from Arkansas and Louisiana over to Georgia would probably have to be the region bearing the worst of the heat/drought instead of Texas. That way when high pressure expands north, it covers the eastern third of the U.S.
nope!!!! It was all me.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:06 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
I hate it. I have a weather station at my home and I've recorded heat indices as high as 122 here this year. Air temp's in the KC area have also been near or above 100 degrees for most of the last ten days. I think this partially explains the idiocy and lunacy of the behavior of so many people here. One more year here, perhaps 18 months and then I cross my fingers that I can move to a better and cooler part of the country.

HEATWAVE - Lyrics - International Lyrics Playground

Old 07-23-2011, 09:07 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,851 times
I know Arkansas (and the states surrounding it ) has been experiencing a heat wave for several weeks. I was in NYC 7/8-7/15 I was so thankful for their cooler temps (the hottest day while we were there was 96 the rest of the time it was in the mid 80's).

Old 07-23-2011, 09:13 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
People in the north seem very weak in dealing with the heat.

In some ways I would agree. While in NYC people kept asking us how we "liked the heat" I was like huh? I was living up the break from the temps we had been experiencing in Arkansas for many many weeks. Arkansas generally starts out May/June with temps in the lower 80's but this year we seemed skipped right into July temps. If this keeps up I am not looking forward to August, September and October.

Anyway I think I would be just as much of a wimp when it comes to prolonged cold/snowy conditions.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:19 AM

604 posts, read 1,521,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Go on the Seattle forum and everyone's complaining about how cool and wet their summer has been. Personally, I'd love to have a summer like that right now, but I suppose if you've spent a long, cloudy, wet winter waiting for what is traditionally an incredibly beautiful summer, and it doesn't come, then I can understand how one might complain about that, too.

Weather has been awesome here in Seattle. Highs in the upper 60s to low 70s.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:36 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
It's July and its dang hot out just about all over the country. Even up as far north as Massachusetts it feels like inferno hot outside, and highs are going to approach 100. A lot of people are complaining, but I can take it. I'd trade this heat for heaps of snow anyday, while others around here seem to be reminiscing winter. I'll jump in the pool this afternoon and other hot days head over to the beach.

Got me thinking, how is everyone else taking the heat where they live. Places like Dallas seem to be very hot for a solid 3 months. The Midwest is still having a big heat wave. The Southwest got very warm earlier this year, sparking wildfires. Texas is very hot and needs rain badly. When I lived in Seattle people would complain if it got above 80 (weather wimps). Besides AC how do people beat the heat in your area? Do you like it, love it, or hate it?
Dallas is hot from April and sometimes, into November. Usually though, the end of October brings some relief. It may not be triple digits all those months, but over 90 is way too hot for so very long. Since some time in May (April didn't reach 90 this year, but had 19 days in the 80s), today makes the 77th day Dallas has been above 90 and there is no end in sight. The days of triple digits within that time frame have been over 30 now.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:46 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~CountryBoy~ View Post
I heard the weather mentioning Washington DC heat index hit 121 degrees yesterday.
MN had that beat the other day with a heat index of 134, but they got a reprieve.I believe yesterday was about 80 comfortable degrees and today is great too. Heat in many parts of the country doesn't last long or there are breaks. Not here in Texas. It's horrible.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:49 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Dallas is hot from April and sometimes, into November. Usually though, the end of October brings some relief. It may not be triple digits all those months, but over 90 is way too hot for so very long. Since some time in May (April didn't reach 90 this year, but had 19 days in the 80s), today makes the 77th day Dallas has been above 90 and there is no end in sight. The days of triple digits within that time frame have been over 30 now.
I think this might explain why housing is so cheap in Dallas..

I'll stay up north, thank you very much..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.