Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 03:08 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,154 times

Advertisements

And to add one more point to my prior post, I think it is a bit tricky to just compare walkscores for entire cities b/c some cities have larger boundaries. So Jacksonville gets a terrible walkscore, but its downtown and certain neighborhoods may be more walkable than the downtowns of some of the cities with higher overall scores (like OKC for example).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 03:29 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
I would have thought Portland, OR would be ranked much higher. Certainly more walkable than Miami by a long shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And I also think this depends on an individuals tolerance and specific location.

To me
Boston
Chicago
DC
NYC
Philly
SF

all stand out as being the easiest.

Other cities like Atlanta/LA/Seattle (and many more like Pittsburgh and Baltimore) can offer this maybe on a more isolated basis but just about any place can offer it. People can live in Dallas without a car if locations for residence/PT/work are strategically set etc.

I would rank Seattle well above Atlanta and LA. Seattle is very walkable, I lived there without a car for a little while. It was easy. Many of the neighborhoods ther ehave grocery stores people can easily walk to. Downtown, Belltown, Capital Hill, and Queen Anne are all very cohesive.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:24 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
Are there any lists for cities where you can go car free without any major problems?
I lived in Seattle for 5 years and never had a car . It was easy Seattle has 24hr bus service and rail runs 5am to 1am daily. Seattle is a very dense city .

Old 07-22-2011, 11:19 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
The walkscores for my address are as follows:
Raleigh: 83
Miami Beach: 86
I love my walkable and bike-able location.
:-)

Old 07-23-2011, 04:01 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
How is Baltimore not included?

Old 07-23-2011, 07:27 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I would have thought Portland, OR would be ranked much higher. Certainly more walkable than Miami by a long shot.

I would rank Seattle well above Atlanta and LA. Seattle is very walkable, I lived there without a car for a little while. It was easy. Many of the neighborhoods ther ehave grocery stores people can easily walk to. Downtown, Belltown, Capital Hill, and Queen Anne are all very cohesive.

In places yes but not over as large an area. Atlanta has many areas that one can live without a car as well. Overall though I do not put either in the same actegory with the other 6. Seattle probably has more walkable areas than does Atlanta but to me Atlanta and Seattle are closer to each other than would Seattle be to a Boston/Chicago/Philadelphia

Old 07-23-2011, 08:06 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Unfortunately, I have to question the accuracy of Walk Score. I know it's a complex thing to rate walkability, and I suppose considering that the web site does a pretty good job. But for my current location, it's way off. My address gets a 62 rating, which is mediocre, but when I consider actually trying to walk anywhere from my house, I would rank it less than 20. The nearest real grocery store is, according to the site, 1.5 miles away. But it counts the gas station down the street as a grocery store. Which is fine if your groceries consists solely of junk food. And besides the obvious problems with that, to walk to this gas station one must walk along a very busy street with no shoulder and no sidewalk. For restaurants, the first one it lists is McDonalds, and it puts it at .31 miles away. That's odd because it's more like .75 miles away. And walking there would be an absolute nightmare. Stranger still, there are many other restaurants that actually are fairly close to my house, all of which are more appealing than McDonalds. But again, actually safely walking to them is a different story, since to get to a street with sidewalks I would have to either walk along that busy street with none, or go far out of my way through neighborhoods. Regardless, the simple fact that there are no real grocery stores within a mile of my location makes it utterly unwalkable for me. Bikeable, fairly, but not walkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.