U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:38 PM

6 posts, read 7,170 times

Advertisements

Hi, been looking at the threads & am impressed by how friendly & helpful everyone is. I know there are tons of the "....or....or....?" city comparison posts but I'm interested in getting input on our unique situation. (Warning: this will be long )
My family is American citizens of (mostly) Italian decent but I'm the only one who's lived there for any length of time (I grew up there & moved to Asia when 19. My husband grew up in Europe & Asia & our 4 kids (ages 11-6) were all born in Asia. We're currently in Taiwan & considering relocating to the States in the next few years. It's a big move so we're taking it slow & want to get make it as easy on the kids as possible. Our kids have attended a (very) small local school for the last couple of years & they speak, read & write Mandarin Chinese @ as well or better than English. All fair skinned & mostly blond, they stick out like a sore thumb but don't seem to mind much...usually As third culture kids they are rather global in their tastes & interests but would like the opportunities that the future holds for citizens in their home country, at least in their upper schooling years.
Taipei (the capital city that we live in a suburb of) is considered very safe compared to any US city & crimes against children are mainly related to custody issues, our kids being Caucasian actually protects them in many ways here. We also have one child who is ADHD, our small school is able to give him fairly personalised assistance & that is important for us with him. We're looking for a place in/near a metropolitan area with good racial diversity, that is liberally minded, global atmosphere, SAFE, affordable lifestyle, growing economy & decent job market...& we're used to having lots of outdoor activity options.
I grew up in California & don't really want to go back. I also lived in Seattle, which is one city area that we're considering, with a climate somewhat similar to what we experience here, just a bit cooler. Minneapolis area is interesting to us but we're not sure how the kids would do with the long winters (they've never had winters below freezing) & tornadoes. Madison, WI sounds similar but with shorter winters & more humid summers (something I wanted to escape when leaving here but....my wish list sounds a bit "pie in the sky" Oh well ) Boston sounds great for it's global feel & four seasons but is more expensive. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 11:29 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,427,549 times
Might also look at Austin

Austin, TX | Austin Hotels, Events, Attractions, Things To Do & More | AustinTexas.org

The Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce - Connect. Impact. Prosper.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:51 AM

77,995 posts, read 105,998,977 times
What is considered affordable to you? Does city size matter, as many major college towns would probably work for you. What type of occupations would you be looking for?

As for suggestions, perhaps areas like Denver, Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, Ann Arbor MI, Columbus OH and maybe even a place like Rochester NY. Austin is a good suggestion too.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:54 AM

77,995 posts, read 105,998,977 times
What is considered affordable to you? Does city size matter, as many major college towns would probably work for you. What type of occupations would you be looking for?

As for suggestions, perhaps areas like Denver, Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, Ann Arbor MI, Columbus OH and maybe even a place like Rochester NY. Austin is a good suggestion too.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:59 AM

24,400 posts, read 38,382,333 times
[quote=Expat in Asia;20137605] We're looking for a place in/near a metropolitan area with good racial diversity, that is liberally minded, global atmosphere, SAFE, affordable lifestyle, growing economy & decent job market...& we're used to having lots of outdoor activity options. QUOTE]

Based on your criteria I'd recommend the Washington, DC metro area. I know it's not known as "affordable", however salaries reflect the cost of living there. Otherwise it has the racial diversity you seek, a generally liberal mindset, global influences, safe suburbs with excellent schools, a recession-proof economy with a low unemployment rate (lowest of any US metro area) and tons of things to do socially and recreationally. Check out the Northern Virginia suburbs of Fairfax and Vienna or the Maryland suburbs of Bethesda and Rockville. Good luck!

Old 07-23-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:

We're not really sure what's affordable yet, we know it will be more expensive than where we are now in average living expenses. I guess what we're looking for is a place where the average middle class family can live fine with only one full time income, perhaps supplemented with some part time work, as I'm planning on being a SAHM, at least while the kids adjust. We'd also like to be able to buy a home once we are sure of staying in the area.

City size doesn't really matter, though job opportunities does. In some ways we'd like to be in a place that's not "too big" but would prefer not to have to deal with a long commute for dad. We don't really know places outside of big city areas so are at a disadvantage in even knowing where to start.

As far as occupation: currently my husband works in the field of logistics, sourcing & publishing. He has some experience in finance also. He speaks Mandrin near fluently & is looking for somewhere that this would be an asset.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:59 AM

Thanks for all the great input We're pretty overwhelmed with the options so it's great to have starting places to look, especially smaller places that are not as easy to find randomly online.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:07 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,722,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat in Asia View Post
Thanks for all the great input We're pretty overwhelmed with the options so it's great to have starting places to look, especially smaller places that are not as easy to find randomly online.
California is the best place to be for you. But for some odd reason you are avoiding it. So I guess NYC would be the second best choice. I would avoid anywhere in the South if you want your children to remain worldly people.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
California is the best place to be for you. But for some odd reason you are avoiding it.
Yeah, I keep coming back there too; it's just...been there, done that. It's where I'm from so would like to try somewhere new. Or at least consider the options
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.