Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Whats the economic status of your neighborhood?
Rich and Wealty 14 11.29%
High Middle Class 34 27.42%
Middle Class 36 29.03%
Lower Middle Class 19 15.32%
Poor 2 1.61%
Economic Mix 19 15.32%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 08:21 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,655,149 times

Advertisements

What would you classify as the economic status of most of the people in your neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 08:59 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
my answer will be different if I'm comparing it to the rest of the US, or the rest of NJ.

rest of US - Rich and Wealthy
rest of NJ - High Middle

(average household income is around $110K)

Old 08-10-2007, 09:11 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,655,149 times
Both of the nieghborhoods I've lived in have been lower middle class.The neighborhood I lived in in Ohio was lower middle class and poor,the one I live in in Colorado is lower middle class and middle class.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:14 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,384 times
for the US we are rich & wealthy, for the rest of Long Island we are lower middle class.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:35 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
I live in a working class neighborhood whatever that is (I am guessing lower middle and upper lower)

Old 08-11-2007, 07:25 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
I live in a middle-class housing development that consists largely of brick ranch-styled homes near Scranton, PA. The 35 homes in my subdivision are exclusively occupied by Caucasian families, most of whom have lived in these homes since the community was settled in the early-1970s. The socioeconomic conditions of the neighborhood are varied, but most residents here do not have a formal education beyond high school, debunking the theory that one must possess a college degree to "make it" in life. Here are some examples of couples in my neighborhood:

-Husband: CPA, Wife: Unemployed
-Husband: Scientist, Deceased, Wife: High School Cafeteria Staff
-Husband: High School Teacher and Coach, Wife: Elementary Teacher
-Husband: Unemployed, Disability, Wife: Airport Desk Staff
-Husband: Contractor, Wife: Retail Cashier
-Husband: Office Worker, Wife: Bank Staff
-Husband: Fireworks Outlet Owner, Wife: Unemployed
-Husband: Scientist, Deceased, Wife: Retail Sales, Retired

My own parents are a systems analyst and a retail merchandiser who earn a combined $70,000 or so annually, yet we're being "blown out of the water" by the proliferation of luxury vehicles and "toys" our neighbors are all purchasing as of late. Either there's a secret "money tree" growing here in Scranton that we have yet to be informed of, or our neighbors are in debt up to their eyeballs!

Old 08-11-2007, 07:37 AM

108 posts, read 378,690 times
Very hard to quantify / explain.
Normal working people, we just got here before
values became inflated.
No one has the "trappings of wealth".
Older cars, mobiles and modulars.
Located in S/W Colorado canyon country.
Private road access, convenient to paved road.
Each owner has at least 40 acres.
Most of us OWN, Free and Clear.
Most of us have very little if any debt.
Wildlife, views to dream of, fresh air, no crime, Privacy.
I feel very wealthy.
edited to add: Eight properties in the neighborhood.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:39 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,493,110 times
Our neighborhood is quite varied. Our immediate neighbors include a bartender, computer network engineer, construction foreman, housewife, consultant, real estate agent, etc. About a block or two away, there are construction workers, retail salespeople, day laborers, grocery store cashiers, ski instructors, etc. And just up the hill the other way there are houses worth $1.5MM and higher (have no idea what those people do for work).

Old 08-11-2007, 03:35 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
My immediate neighborhood is filled with mostly upper-middle class families and singles. Tons of newer BMW's, Infiniti's, and Lexuses. But the entire community ranges from middle class all the way up to the wealthy living in $5+ million dollar houses.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:30 PM

430 posts, read 1,394,179 times
Lower middle class/working class on average. Some poor, few upper middle class. Majority white, but many hispanic and some asian. Small, world war II Ara single family homes with front porches (built DURING the war) and large back yards/small front yards. Many of the back yards have fruit trees. The neighborhood has a somewhat of a semi rural feel to it. It is a bit run down in places but mostly just a kind of informal feel to it. Lot's of trees. Many streets have no sidewalks, but people walk down the street anyway. People actualy know most of their neighbors. It's definitely not a stereotypical S.F. bay area type of neighborhood, though it is on the Outskirts of the region.

-I like my neighborhood. Emil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.