Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 01:07 PM

33 posts, read 158,533 times

Advertisements

Moved to central Florida several years ago was never really happy about it, heat, humidity, bugs, threats of hurricanes, tornados, wild fires, etc and now that we are both retired well need to find a less expensive place to live, hopefully with less a threat of the above mentioned. Like the Carolina's both North and South, East Tennessee, even Virginia and West Virginia but the last two unless we want a cabin in the woods, seem to be out of reach at least for us.
Looking for small city or town with medical facilities, shopping (nothing big just grocery, pharmacy, hardware store, veterinarian, library) not much of a mall person, do much of my shopping on line anyway, a larger city nearby for the rest. Amazing what you can't do without when you are young becames unnecessary when you get older. Not that we travel much anymore but an airport not to far away would also be nice. I know I'm probably dreaming but thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 01:57 PM

846 posts, read 1,796,758 times
Cheap areas in the Carolinas are plentiful, especially in South Carolina. Clinton, SC is a good example. Nice college, Presbyterian, has a few grocery stores. Has good hospital too. 35 mi from Spartanburg, 45 from Greenville.

Hartsville also fits those. Coker College, has choices in grocery stores, has a good hospital for a small town like that, has a Lowe's. Florence less than 25 miles, large town with about everything you need.

2 hours from Myrtle, 70 miles from Columbia, only 90 minutes or so to Charlotte.

St. George is the most like those two in the Lowcountry.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:54 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,494 times
Look at the triad area in nc...

Old 07-23-2011, 08:44 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Look at the triad area in nc...
I agree and Greensboro in particular is a nice medium-sized city with plenty of services, and a smaller town feel overall with it's lower density and greenery (lots of trees). It has plenty of essentials nearby (shopping, medical, etc) and it's own airport with decent levels of service. The cost is living is pretty low for the East Coast as well, especially housing. Check out the NW, SW and West side neighborhoods.

Greensboro, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-23-2011, 08:53 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Yes, the upstate of SC near Greenville. Lots of small towns with woods that have a rural feel, but with close proximity to amenities.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:07 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
yeah, i agree with Greenville, SC, Greensboro, NC, and any of the small towns inbetween. The foothills of SC/NC sound like they could be your speed, moreso than anywhere flat, or within ~2 hours of the ocean.

somebody mentioned Hartsville. I would NOT recommend that. You said you didn't like "heat, humidity, bugs," and Hartsville sits in the upper branches of the pee dee swamp, so it has plenty of those. Same with Florence or St. George.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:39 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Among metros Kiplinger seems to place Anderson and Greenville as the cheapest for South Carolina with Winston-Salem and Charlotte as the cheapest for North Carolina.

Kiplinger.com

Mount Airy, North Carolina looks cheap. It looks high in theft, and its murder rate was high in 2009, but I know of it from bluegrass music.

//www.city-data.com/city/Mount-...-Carolina.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/green...ount-airy.html

Old 07-25-2011, 03:05 PM

899 posts, read 2,286,957 times
Another vote for the Greenville-Spartanburg area (Upstate South Carolina). You run in to a growing number of folks like yourself here: people who moved to Florida and then left due to cost of living/insurance/weather, but wanted to stay in the South. They even have a term for them called "halfbacks".

Old 07-26-2011, 01:06 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Throwing a couple out for consideration in east TN, 30 minutes from Knoxville.

Jefferson-City-Tennessee
Dandridge-Tennessee

smaller-town-recommendation-east-tennessee
jefferson-city-tn?

Old 07-30-2011, 02:09 AM

22 posts, read 60,482 times
I'd like to chime in here too. We are looking to sell our home in Colorado (Denver area) and relocate to the SC area, for not only the advantage of the differences in property values/cost of living, but to be closer to the ocean. Hard to beat the Colorado air (low humidity, lots of sunshine), but no beach!

Upon looking at real estate prices out your way, we couldn't believe our eyes! So much house for the money and LOW property taxes! My wife was almost ready to start packing, until she read about the indigenous insects in the area. Cockroaches (palmetto bug) the size of hummingbirds…giant banana spiders?

Aside from the creep-crawlers, it appears that there is a pretty significant crime rate, in places like Myrtle Beach in particular.

Any reassuring words on the bugs and the crime, or would we better off just sitting tight in Colorado? Crime, I guess, would not be the biggest problem, as I would be packin’ my piece…unless the Carolinas have become so liberal that they cannot abide a good old peace-loving American who subscribes to the 2nd Amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.