Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 02:45 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,111,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan16 View Post
My HS had a 9000 seat football stadium
Wow. Now that's impressive. I doubt my old HS draws 100 people to it's games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 02:58 PM

6,075 posts, read 9,100,962 times
I went to a small school in WV, 800 students (now 900)

WV class AA out of classes. Will be AAA in 2012

We had the following:

AP/College Level
Business
Forensic Science
Webpage Design
Computer Graphics
Photography
German
Spanish
French
Japanese

A dynasty in "We The People" ---constitutional debate (5 state titles in 8 years)--- I was on one of them that won!

Football
Basketball B/G
Vollyball
Soccer B/G
Baseball
Softball
Tennis G
Wrestling
Swimming B/G
Lacrosse B/G
Cross Country B/G
Track B/G
Golf B

Show Choir
Drama
Band

2,000 seat stadium (new)
rubber track
Baseball Field
Softball Field
Tennis Courts
Main BBall Gym
Practice Gym

4 computer labs
library/media center
shop room (4rooms total)
music/drama wing (5 rooms total)
3 sets of locker rooms (1 set for football field)
2 science labs
1 HUGE art studio
New 500 seat theater (first class)
Cafeteria
Commons Area/Lobby
distance learning lab

It is the 5th largest school out of 8 in Kanawha County.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:48 PM

846 posts, read 1,797,469 times
Most high schools around the Charleston area have a stadium like that. My school never fills the stadium, but even on the worst nights, they draw 2,500. There's some games where they can easily get 5,000, sometimes close to 6,000 people.

The largest schools in the area often fill their stadiums (at least 5,000-9,000). I've seen Summerville games with over 10,000 in attendance, often outdrawing even the Citadel. In the Upstate, it's bigger. Schools like Byrnes and Dorman have equivalent facilities to many FCS colleges.

This is Dorman's stadium:

Old 07-25-2011, 03:50 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
this thread is soooo "my school is better than yours".

my HS was about 600 kids and it sucked. had a handful of things...who can beat that? LOL

Old 07-25-2011, 06:49 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan16 View Post
Most high schools around the Charleston area have a stadium like that. My school never fills the stadium, but even on the worst nights, they draw 2,500. There's some games where they can easily get 5,000, sometimes close to 6,000 people.

The largest schools in the area often fill their stadiums (at least 5,000-9,000). I've seen Summerville games with over 10,000 in attendance, often outdrawing even the Citadel. In the Upstate, it's bigger. Schools like Byrnes and Dorman have equivalent facilities to many FCS colleges.

This is Dorman's stadium:
I think it depends on how much the community supports and care about Football. While NY isn't necessarily known for being a HS Football hotbed, there are schools with top flight stadiums. Schools like Vestal, Union-Endicott, Cicero-North Syracuse, Jamestown, Rome Free Academy, Hornell, Corning, Liverpool, Shenendehowa, Amsterdam and Watertown, among others.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:48 PM

372 posts, read 1,043,014 times
I don't know if this northern Minnesota school of about 500 (town of 8,000) has for arts/academics, but if you're into hockey:

4,000 seat arena with suites and a museum dedicated to hockey alumni. It's a good hockey school but not one Minnesota's premier hockey HS's.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:02 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,908 times
Damn there are high schools with less than 800 kids? I would hate life if I went to one of them.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:07 PM

436 posts, read 1,348,005 times
More people? ;-)

Old 07-25-2011, 11:59 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Same things I mean when I say a full sports program. Plus a bowling program and a rifle shooting team. Along with a Jazz band, a pep band for the bleachers during the football games as well as a full Marching band.

Even the Middle School (6-8th grades) has an in school TV station and morning news program; along with the above sports and their own band.

Bigger doesn't always mean better. Sometimes smaller is better. Smaller classes, More guidance, all the programs of most larger schools, plus the additional benefit of ALL teaches knowing all kids in the school (along with their parents and sometimes grandparents.) Don't think a larger school automatically means the smaller ones can't/don't have the same programs or opportunities for the kids who attend.

Our school systems doesn't need their own Performing arts center, they use the local colleges' new (finished summer 2010) state of the art performing arts center for their bigger productions.
High school I went too had a jazz and pep band too. And also we had golf. And I forgot to mention we had tennis too.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:03 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I went to a small school in WV, 800 students (now 900)

WV class AA out of classes. Will be AAA in 2012

We had the following:

AP/College Level
Business
Forensic Science
Webpage Design
Computer Graphics
Photography
German
Spanish
French
Japanese

A dynasty in "We The People" ---constitutional debate (5 state titles in 8 years)--- I was on one of them that won!

Football
Basketball B/G
Vollyball
Soccer B/G
Baseball
Softball
Tennis G
Wrestling
Swimming B/G
Lacrosse B/G
Cross Country B/G
Track B/G
Golf B

Show Choir
Drama
Band

2,000 seat stadium (new)
rubber track
Baseball Field
Softball Field
Tennis Courts
Main BBall Gym
Practice Gym

4 computer labs
library/media center
shop room (4rooms total)
music/drama wing (5 rooms total)
3 sets of locker rooms (1 set for football field)
2 science labs
1 HUGE art studio
New 500 seat theater (first class)
Cafeteria
Commons Area/Lobby
distance learning lab

It is the 5th largest school out of 8 in Kanawha County.
Wow, your school has the same amount of people as mine but more stuff.

When did your high school get lacrosse, and swimming?

And two gyms? Damn. Im impressed.

My school didnt have wrestling or water polo. Which always struck me as odd for a school of 800 students. I felt my principal didnt do a good enough job making money for our school.

But again we had:

Sports:
-Football
-Cheer
-Volleyball b/g
-Tennis b/g
-Golf b/g
-Basketball b/g
-Volleyball b/g
-Soccer
-baseball
-softball

Fine Arts:
-Marching band w/ winter guard
-concert band
-jazz band
-choir
-drama
-choral choir
-art
-photography

Facilities:
-Shop
-Ag farm
-baseball field (facility was at elementary school)
-softball field
-dirt track field
-soccer field
-football field
-practice field
-performing arts theater
-2 computer labs
-art studio
-cafeteria
-multipurpose room
-band/choir building
-enclosed area for library, administration, and science classes
-4 locker areas (one for football)
-weight room

Other:
-wing for english and foreign languages, math, science, and history
-sign language, french, and spanish
-several AP Courses

My town only has 7,600 population. With a library under construction, Trader Joes, highway patrol, sheriff, fire station, hospital, two parks, community services district, two coffee shops, many boutiques, two gas stations, donut shop, one taco place, one delivery pizza place, two yoga places, and several wine tasting rooms.

Both proms were at wineries.

And I hated high school. Didnt make many friends at my high school. Didnt like anything special at my high school. Sports, prom, grad night, dances, and high school life wasnt all that special to me. Working and taking college classes and living in a college freshmen dorm had more meaning to me.

And my middle school was your basic middle school of 500 students and a tv thing in the morning.

Last edited by the city; 07-26-2011 at 12:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.