Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Northeastern NJ (close to NYC area) 34 58.62%
Southeastern Florida (Miami/Ft. Lauderdale/Palm Beach area) 24 41.38%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 05:17 PM

107 posts, read 221,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
First of all it is not HOT 12 months out of the year! October through March in SE FL is paradise with mild /cool temps, low humidity & very sunny.
I lived there for about 20 years. It sure wasn't my opinion that it wasn't hot most of the time. Yes, there would be occasional relief from the heat from late October through the end of February, but never for very long. If you got very lucky, you'd maybe get three or four cooler days in a row, then it was miserable (to me) again. Different people like different temperatures. What's hot to one person isn't hot to someone else. My mom's just the opposite of me--she'll be freezing if it's in the low 70s. That's a large part of why she wanted to move to South Florida in the first place, but I always hated the climate there. I like 40s to 60s. A place that had those temperatures year-round would be like heaven to me.
Quote:
Why do you think we call the tourists who come in the winter "snow birds"?
Because they're coming south, like birds, to escape snow & cold, coming to a place that's hot even throughout most of the winter. ;-)
Quote:
Did you know that Miami has never recorded a daytime temp over 100 F degrees?
The heat in Florida, at least in the summer, always FELT like it was over 100 degrees to me, EVERY DAY. I don't know why it feels hotter there exactly, but it does to me. NJ can almost feel as hot as that during a heatwave, but usually that's only for a few days at a stretch, rather than every single day (it is still too hot for me here in the summer overall, but it's nothing like Florida). On the other hand, at the moment, there's almost a slight chill to the breeze here in Jersey City (yay!). You just don't get that in South Florida in July.

Last edited by MontyLaSalle; 07-29-2011 at 05:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 09:27 PM

95 posts, read 196,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyLaSalle View Post
I lived there for about 20 years. It sure wasn't my opinion that it wasn't hot most of the time. Yes, there would be occasional relief from the heat from late October through the end of February, but never for very long. If you got very lucky, you'd maybe get three or four cooler days in a row, then it was miserable (to me) again. Different people like different temperatures. What's hot to one person isn't hot to someone else. My mom's just the opposite of me--she'll be freezing if it's in the low 70s. That's a large part of why she wanted to move to South Florida in the first place, but I always hated the climate there. I like 40s to 60s. A place that had those temperatures year-round would be like heaven to me.Because they're coming south, like birds, to escape snow & cold, coming to a place that's hot even throughout most of the winter. ;-) The heat in Florida, at least in the summer, always FELT like it was over 100 degrees to me, EVERY DAY. I don't know why it feels hotter there exactly, but it does to me. NJ can almost feel as hot as that during a heatwave, but usually that's only for a few days at a stretch, rather than every single day (it is still too hot for me here in the summer overall, but it's nothing like Florida). On the other hand, at the moment, there's almost a slight chill to the breeze here in Jersey City (yay!). You just don't get that in South Florida in July.
Florida's summer high temperatures are between 88 - 95 F (31 - 35 C) everyday and low temperatures of mid 70s to around 80 F.

NJ could be hotter than that during heat wave, but definetely not everyday and guaranteed like it is in FL. BTW NJ could for few days even have 70s as high temp. unlike in FL.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:15 PM

643 posts, read 1,485,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
South Florida is way too touristy compared to northeastern NJ. I hate touristy places, because it degrades the genuinity of the place. Northeast NJ has much less crime, much better schools, more educated people, and is near the greatest city in the world. Also, you don't need to know spanish to get around.
But you do need to know English.

"Genuinity"?? Really?!?

Old 08-01-2011, 07:23 PM

18 posts, read 20,059 times
Ne nj!

Old 08-01-2011, 11:58 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,040,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I don't think I could ever live in New Jersey.
fair enough. to each his own.

Quote:
The weather and the urban gritty lifestyle just isn't for me.
while i agree with you that the weather in nj blows, you're dead wrong if you think the "urban gritty lifestyle" is even remotely typical or representative of northern nj as a whole.

northern nj (and the state in general) is overwhelmingly suburban and white collar, with a very high percentage of residents commuting to office jobs in manhattan or in suburban office parks elsewhere in nj. sure, there are pockets of small, gritty cities, but probably 90+% of NE NJ consists of either pre-WWII norman rockwell-looking suburban towns or sprawling post-war tract housing like you'd find in the suburbs of any major city (think: orange county, silicon valley, northern virginia, etc).

this idea that northeastern nj is primarily urban, dingy, and ghetto is one of the biggest misconceptions about the state.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:29 AM

807 posts, read 1,032,968 times
Even though the temp may not reach 100F in south Florida, it certainly feels that hot, because of the HUMIDITY. That's the real problem, when it's 90F and 90% humidity, it feels like 120F. Contrast that with a 90F day with low humidity, the difference is striking.

Not to say it doesn't get humid in NJ, it does, but not all the time. Right now it is supposed to be 89F, but low humidity, and it feels comfortable. I'm not sitting here sweating for no reason.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:55 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,762 times
It really is awesome how from NJ, you be in completely different surroundings within a 1-3 hour drive or train ride (TRUE urban, beach, mountains, forests, farmland). Not to mention you have very easy access to several amazing, world class cities. You don't get that in Florida, at all. In fact, I would say Florida provides access to ZERO world class cities. That is my opinion, but it's an opinion that I think many/most would agree with.

Several times I've even done a weekend drive to Montreal. From SE Florida, where can you take a weekend drive to, that would provide a complete change of scenery? Where is the landscape diversity in Florida, in general? I don't see much.

NJ, and the northeast in general, feels so much more cultured, established, educated and...real. NJ wins in my book. It's really not even close.

To be fair, I will say that Florida is great for a quick beachy getaway. But to live there? The crime, weather, and the job market are enough to keep me out.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:52 PM

95 posts, read 196,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
It really is awesome how from NJ, you be in completely different surroundings within a 1-3 hour drive or train ride (TRUE urban, beach, mountains, forests, farmland). Not to mention you have very easy access to several amazing, world class cities. You don't get that in Florida, at all. In fact, I would say Florida provides access to ZERO world class cities. That is my opinion, but it's an opinion that I think many/most would agree with.

Several times I've even done a weekend drive to Montreal. From SE Florida, where can you take a weekend drive to, that would provide a complete change of scenery? Where is the landscape diversity in Florida, in general? I don't see much.

NJ, and the northeast in general, feels so much more cultured, established, educated and...real. NJ wins in my book. It's really not even close.

To be fair, I will say that Florida is great for a quick beachy getaway. But to live there? The crime, weather, and the job market are enough to keep me out.
God Bless you - this was all I needed to write and inform people

Old 08-02-2011, 05:50 PM

385 posts, read 363,254 times
[quote=Red.Apple;20224379]New Jersey's normal summer high temp. are in mid-80s (In FL, low-mid 90s) and lows of upper 60s to low 70s (In FL, mid-upper 70s & sometimes low 80s). Humidity is much higher in FL than NJ. It also rains more than double in FL than in NJ during summer, and skies tends to be more sunnier in NJ than FL.

Umm..what hat did you pull that out of?

Per nooa, Annual Average possible sunshine for Key West is 76% and for NY,NJ area it is 58%. Not even close.

SOURCE: http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...ccd/pctpos.txt

Old 08-02-2011, 07:00 PM

46 posts, read 51,890 times
Ugh, SE Florida is too ghetto/poor/low-wage and is overrun by illiterate illegals.

median income of households in South Florida was $43,091 in 2009.
median income of households in Northern New Jersey was $96,413 in 2009.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.